ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rydenfan

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #940 on: 7 Mar 2009, 03:03 am »
Great news  :thumb: :thumb:

Philistine

Re: Sadness
« Reply #941 on: 7 Mar 2009, 04:46 pm »
:cry: :cry:  When I went to listen to music this evening, my EML mesh 5u4 was dead...it was cold... no filament light....its back to the metal base GZ34 :cry: :cry:

Sorry to hear that your EML failed Mike, looks like you are well taken care of in terms of getting it resolved.  I find the 'audition by subtraction' route can sometimes be a useful approach, when you roll a new tube you immediately hear the major differences but it's often the more extended listening that determines if you can live with the tube or not.  So, even though it's no consolation, it will be interesting to have the mb back in and compare with the EML.

The 12 months/2000 hour guarantee is another benefit with buying a new product like this, it would have been a different issue with a NOS or used tube.

http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/guarantee/conditions.htm

modwright

« Reply #942 on: 7 Mar 2009, 05:25 pm »
I was just cautioned by the Emission Labs distributor, that the tube does NOT like to see a first capacitor value of > 33uf.  Our early designs, before the 'Hyper-Drive' upgrade, used a pair of 100uf caps in series = 50uf net capacitance.  In this case, the EML tube MAY be stressed.  I mention this as a caution to all who are using this tube.  It is an expensive tube and I want you to all be aware.

Thanks,

Dan W.

owenmd

« Reply #943 on: 7 Mar 2009, 06:01 pm »
Hi Dan,

Just to be clear..... are you saying that the EML tube is fine for use after the Hyper-Drive mod, but may be stressed if you don't have the mod....?

Mark

rydenfan

« Reply #944 on: 7 Mar 2009, 07:39 pm »
I was under the impression this tube was fine to use. Perhaps it is because I have the hyper mod??

Gotta love technology  :thumb: posting from my iphone from a yankees spring training game

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #945 on: 7 Mar 2009, 07:48 pm »
Hello All!
           I just got off the phone with Dan from Modwright. We discussed the suitability of the EML 5U4G rectifier with the Modwright products. I am advising all who have purchased this tube recently to contact Dan whether their units are able to use these tubes. As Dan as stated, there have been various iterations of the transporter sporting different capacitor values. Some early designs(100uF for example) are clearly way outside the desired circle of the EML operating points. A value beyond the recommended stated value from Emission Labs will cause the warranty to be null and void. We are obviously concerned about anyone taking the financial "plunge" when purchasing one (or more) of these tubes. Dan is in the position to facilitate any upgrade for those choosing to use this tube in the event that there current topology is not in line with these specific parameters. Don't wait until you have a defective tube to address this issue. We know the tube makes for a great presentation with the transporter. However, if it won't last, it doesn't do any of us any good.
Best Regards,

George

funkmonkey

« Reply #946 on: 7 Mar 2009, 08:22 pm »
Okay, I'm confused.  :scratch:  Say we had an early model TP, and have sent it in for the platinum/turbo/hyper-drive mods.  Would it now be suitable to use with the EML?  Or to rephrase the question:  If we have had the "Hyper-Drive" installed (regardless of the initial "truth" mod) are we cleared for take off with the EML?

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #947 on: 7 Mar 2009, 08:23 pm »
Dan (or others), just wondering if the EML 5U4G is compatible with the SWL 9.0 Signature (aside from being too tall)??

jwes

« Reply #948 on: 7 Mar 2009, 08:58 pm »
Okay, I'm confused.  :scratch:  Say we had an early model TP, and have sent it in for the platinum/turbo/hyper-drive mods.  Would it now be suitable to use with the EML?  Or to rephrase the question:  If we have had the "Hyper-Drive" installed (regardless of the initial "truth" mod) are we cleared for take off with the EML?

Same boat here, and ready to pull the trigger on the EML.  David, this is your situation isn't it?  Like us you got the platinum/bybee/turbo ($500) mod after having the original MWTP, and it works fine with the EML, correct?  Hopefully the answer is that the mod to existing units includes the change in cap values...

Jim

JerryH

« Reply #949 on: 7 Mar 2009, 09:44 pm »
Dan (or others), just wondering if the EML 5U4G is compatible with the SWL 9.0 Signature (aside from being too tall)??

I can't answer your question but I've been running the EML in my SWLP with great results. All the attributes of the EML carry over to the preamp as well. It seems more relaxed and effortless as well. I'm waiting on the same question though to be safe.
You'll need to cut a hole around 3" to accommodate and allow ventilation. It's really worth it though assuming we have the OK.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #950 on: 7 Mar 2009, 10:03 pm »
As there are a few small but electrically relevant iterations of the MW TP around, let's let Dan investigate and get back to us.  FYI: I sent him an email about the EML back about 30 days ago.  The EML was glowing wayyyy brighter than the EML website pic, (hence calling it my bug zapper) and I was concerned about the possibility of us overdriving it.  I included pictures and the EML spec sheet.  He responded then with some electrical terms I was unsure of, but netted it out that "the max voltage and current are not exceeded".  Keep in mind, he was likely only referring to mine, which although a very early (as in first) iteration, it was also the first of the hypermods too.   I was unaware, at that time, that the hypermods might be a gating factor.

I sent him another email today asking to give us further clarification, now that he has more info.  Stay tuned.

Philistine

« Reply #951 on: 7 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm »

Same boat here, and ready to pull the trigger on the EML.  David, this is your situation isn't it?  Like us you got the platinum/bybee/turbo ($500) mod after having the original MWTP, and it works fine with the EML, correct?  Hopefully the answer is that the mod to existing units includes the change in cap values...

Jim

My interpretation is that with the Hyper-Drive mod the TP operates within the safe limits of the EML, so it is fine to use and covered by the gurantee.
Without the Hyper-Drive mod the TP operates just outside the safe limits of the EML and may cause failure, George is stating that if this happens then the guarantee does not apply.

Philistine

« Reply #952 on: 7 Mar 2009, 10:35 pm »
As there are a few small but electrically relevant iterations of the MW TP around, let's let Dan investigate and get back to us.  FYI: I sent him an email about the EML back about 30 days ago.  The EML was glowing wayyyy brighter than the EML website pic, (hence calling it my bug zapper) and I was concerned about the possibility of us overdriving it.  I included pictures and the EML spec sheet.  He responded then with some electrical terms I was unsure of, but netted it out that "the max voltage and current are not exceeded".  Keep in mind, he was likely only referring to mine, which although a very early (as in first) iteration, it was also the first of the hypermods too.   I was unaware, at that time, that the hypermods might be a gating factor.

I sent him another email today asking to give us further clarification, now that he has more info.  Stay tuned.

I was typing my interpretation while you were posting Ted, for the sake of caution it's probably wiser to have Dan clarify as you suggest.

brontotx

« Reply #953 on: 8 Mar 2009, 07:11 am »
As Dan as stated, there have been various iterations of the transporter sporting different capacitor values. Some early designs(100uF for example) are clearly way outside the desired circle of the EML operating points. A value beyond the recommended stated value from Emission Labs will cause the warranty to be null and void.

As someone who recently purchased an EML, hasn't gone down the hyper-mod route, and having an "early" unit (I got mine in January 2008) , this situation SUCKS  :finger:.  Sorry to ruin the general "feel good" nature of this thread.  I have contacted Dan to see what he says... until then, my MW TP is OUT OF COMISSION  :bawl: :banghead: 

While not a happy camper at the moment, I would like to thank: (1) Mike for alerting us to his problem and (2) either Dan or George for contacting one another to discuss compatibility issues.

rydenfan

« Reply #954 on: 8 Mar 2009, 01:31 pm »
I think your post is a little overly harsh and kind of out of line. The Modwright Transporter is not solely defined by the EML rectifier, there are still many other great tube options. Most of us on this thread are really on the cutting edge of tube rolling and there is bound to be some trial and error. I suggest you take a deep breath, throw in a different tube, and enjoy some music.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #955 on: 8 Mar 2009, 01:33 pm »
As Dan as stated, there have been various iterations of the transporter sporting different capacitor values. Some early designs(100uF for example) are clearly way outside the desired circle of the EML operating points. A value beyond the recommended stated value from Emission Labs will cause the warranty to be null and void.

As someone who recently purchased an EML, hasn't gone down the hyper-mod route, and having an "early" unit (I got mine in January 2008) , this situation SUCKS  :finger:.  Sorry to ruin the general "feel good" nature of this thread.  I have contacted Dan to see what he says... until then, my MW TP is OUT OF COMISSION  :bawl: :banghead: 

While not a happy camper at the moment, I would like to thank: (1) Mike for alerting us to his problem and (2) either Dan or George for contacting one another to discuss compatibility issues.

Why are you out of commission?

There are tons of rectifiers out there that work very well in the Modwright TP.

George

Philistine

« Reply #956 on: 8 Mar 2009, 02:44 pm »

I can truly understand your frustration and reaction, after living with the EML it's tough having to go back to other rectifier tubes.  I'm confident that this will get resolved quickly.     

brontotx

« Reply #957 on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:17 pm »
Saying my MW TP is of commission was a poor choice of words... I'd had a couple to drink when I read George's and Dan's "latest news" last night, so my apologies if I came across too harsh. 

I'll try again: the EML is definitely out of commission and I hope my use of this tube in an early non-hypermodded MW TP doesn't result in premature tube failure that isn't covered under warranty, which clearly would suck.  Furthermore, the only clear "solution" at this time is the hypermod, which means the hassle of sending the TP back to Dan and the outlay of another 5 benjamins plus shipping.  Thus, it is either spend another $500-600 on the hypermod or not be able to use a recent $235 tube purchase that sounds glorious - a "stalemate" that I submit also sucks.  I realize that you guys sing the praises of the hypermod, so perhaps going down that path isn't all bad, but I'd prefer to not have to spend the money at the moment to get the EML to be compatible.   Hopefully, Dan will come up with a less expensive fix.

Rant off - I'm going to listen to some music!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #958 on: 8 Mar 2009, 04:52 pm »
Gang,
My recommendation is to pull the EML from ALL MW TP versions right now, until further notice.  We don't know if the hypermod is a gating factor or not, or that every hypermod is the same.  Although George Lenz might feel bad about throwing a wet blanket over our EML love affair, it was quite appropriate to bring this warranty issue to our immediate attention.  And we don't want to start a rumor or inference that the hypermod is a mandatory upgrade! 

Dan will let us know what iterations are safe and what ones aren't.  We do know that some versions used caps that are outside the safe area for the EML warranty, but don't know what that means to us individually.  In the meantime, protect your investment and pull the tube.

brontotx

« Reply #959 on: 8 Mar 2009, 08:04 pm »

Mine was pulled last night... while I haven't heard from Dan as to whether my early non-hypermod MW TP has proper operating parameters for the EML, I also sent an e-mail to George thanking him for bringing this to Dan's attention (at least that is the way it appeared to have happened to me) and asking if operating outside acceptable parameters for a short while (15 days) would damage the tube and what it would do to the warranty if still operating.  Since others may be asking the same questions, here is his reply:

There is a very good chance that this tube will continue to work going forward. It is wise of you to keep this tube on the sidelines until Dan can give you a de-facto report on what his advice is.

Regarding the warranty. The warranty is specific in this case, and EML states that if the tube is operated outside of it's parameters, the tube will not be covered. Clearly, the values with the early capacitors go waaay beyond what's reasonable here. I'm on my third year with my tube . It's being used in a 2A3 with a 4uF cap. From my conversations with Dan, he will address the needs of the end users who want to use this tube in their transporter. He even says that he's looking forward to perhaps using some of these tubes in future designs. I will be sending one to him when the next shipment arrives. As of now, there is a temporary moratorium on the sale of these tubes until we can get some closure. Sorry that you have to revert back to the old one for the short term, but an ounce of protection..yada, yada, yada. You get the point. Thanks for the email!

Upside possibility: my MW TP has a proper cap and didn't void the EML warranty... all is good.

Downside possibilities: my MW TP has an improper cap for the EML and I own a possibly damaged but certainly out-of-warranty EML, which, if I want to use, will likely require a minimum of a trip back to Dan to rectify at unknown $$.