ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

rpf

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #620 on: 17 Jan 2009, 04:23 am »
Marco,

From your description, you might want to try a black base Mullard GZ32. Brent Jesse has some nice Dario Miniwatt labeled pieces from 1957. Also, perhaps, a Tung Sol 5U4G.

Rob

Philistine

« Reply #621 on: 17 Jan 2009, 04:32 am »
Damn, this thread is a veritable tome!!  I just joined the Circle here, and was checking out some of the thread's here.  I've gotta say, Dan's Transporter transformed my front end (do I need to write a disclaimer on this Circle?).  I was using a completely maxed out Modwright 999es and I have to say he's bested himself.  I've been really happy with the Transporter, and have told Dan numerous times that it's the best digital front end I've had in my system.  I thought I'd contribute my very minimal tube rolling experiments.  The output stock tubes were easily bettered by a pair of RCA cleartops.  I have not tried anything else yet.  I tried rolling the stock RCA GZ37 for a couple of NOS Mullard GZ34's and really didn't like that direction - it tended to soften everything out to my ears.  I really didn't give either of them much of a chance as my knee-jerk reaction was to run, not walk, back to the GZ37, which felt more detailed and impactfull, for lack of better verbiage.  I haven't gone through all 31 pages of this thread, but given the response, any suggestions?  Power cord's a TG688 - haven't tried anything else.  Not into dropping large coin on PC's, though it certainly can make a difference. 

Thanks for the warm welcome on the CES thread! 

Best,

Marco

The Emission Labs 5U4G's are starting to come in now Marco, you might want to keep an eye out on the feedback on these over the next few weeks.

Wayne1

« Reply #622 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:10 pm »

Here is a shot of the MKII version of the 9 pin to octal adapters.

These are a lot more sturdy. They will go out to Rydenfan this week for his comments.

I'll try to make another set for zybar to try.

If everyone likes this version, I'll see about offering them for sale.

rydenfan

« Reply #623 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:34 pm »
Great Wayne  :thumb: I cannot wait to try them.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #624 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:58 pm »

Here is a shot of the MKII version of the 9 pin to octal adapters.

These are a lot more sturdy. They will go out to Rydenfan this week for his comments.

I'll try to make another set for zybar to try.

If everyone likes this version, I'll see about offering them for sale.

Looking forward to it Wayne.

I have some very nice 6SN7 tubes I can try:

• 6SN7W Sylvania Metal Base
    • VT-231 Raytheon, black flat plates
    • VT-231 Ken-Rad, flat black plates
    • 6SN7WGTA Sylvania Chrome Domes

George[/list]
    « Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009, 11:17 pm by zybar »

ted_b

• Volunteer
    • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
    « Reply #625 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm »
    I wouldn't mine a v2, too, but only if it's readily available.  My v1 is ok but the pins are very very temperamental.   Looks like that's been solved with V2.

David,
    I can send you a set of CBS/Hytrons, but all I have are those, the RCA Silver labels and some used Ken-Rads that I haven't tried yet. 

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #626 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:17 pm »
    I wouldn't mine a v2, too, but only if it's readily available.  My v1 is ok but the pins are very very temperamental.   Looks like that's been solved with V2.

David,
    I can send you a set of CBS/Hytrons, but all I have are those, the RCA Silver labels and some used Ken-Rads that I haven't tried yet. 

I am taking care of David and sending him a few goodies to play with.

Besides the 6SN7's, I am also going to include yet another rectifier tube for David to try:

BEL GZ34 5AR4 - 1970s Rare MINT NOS NIB by Philips/Mullard OEM

Happy listening David.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
    « Reply #627 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:28 pm »
    George,
    I am VERY interested in your comments about the VT-231's.

rydenfan

« Reply #628 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:43 pm »

David,

I am taking care of David and sending him a few goodies to play with.

Besides the 6SN7's, I am also going to include yet another rectifier tube for David to try:

BEL GZ34 5AR4 - 1970s Rare MINT NOS NIB by Philips/Mullard OEM

Happy listening David.

George

Thanks George  :thumb: It is greatly appreciated! I am most interested to see how this variety of tube works in the TP.

Wayne1

« Reply #629 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:23 am »

Ted,

That is one of the reasons I came up with v2. I built a set of v1 for David but the pins were too "floaty". I feel the next set I build for George will be even more stable.

Isn't is fun doing beta testing  :lol:

schw06

« Reply #630 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:08 pm »
    I own Dan's uber modded transporter and am running the EML solid plate rectifier with the 6h30dr supertubes. The sound is incredibly punchy and linear...it may be a little too much of a good thing. I am looking to add a small amount of warmth and increased air and density to instruments and voices. Anyone have suggestions for tube changes, (or power cord)??? Thank you!!!!!
    Dave

rydenfan

« Reply #631 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:16 pm »
    I would think you have a lot of density to instruments with that combo? For more air and a bit of warmth you may want to look for a pair of RCA Blackplate 6CG7's.

Also, I recently did a shootout on power cords for the TP. You can find it in the review section. What power cord are you using now?

schw06

« Reply #632 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:20 pm »
    I am using a cord made by a local audiophile...thanks for the recommendation!

ted_b

• Volunteer
    « Reply #633 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:46 pm »
    I own Dan's uber modded transporter and am running the EML solid plate rectifier with the 6h30dr supertubes. The sound is incredibly punchy and linear...it may be a little too much of a good thing. I am looking to add a small amount of warmth and increased air and density to instruments and voices. Anyone have suggestions for tube changes, (or power cord)??? Thank you!!!!!
    Dave

Dave,
    I posted earlier that the hyperdrive mod pushed my faves, the DR's, out of the picture too.  They were too much punch, too much of a good thing.  Now with the beta testing of the octal adapters I like RCA Silver label 6SN7's (and still love Raytheon black plate 6CG7's).  I'm hoping to hear my used Ken-Rad 6SN7's this weekend, and hear George and David's reviews of the other octals.
    « Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 01:10 am by ted_b »

Philistine

« Reply #634 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:02 am »
    Dave, I haven't heard the EML solid plate so cannot really comment on how it matches with signal tubes.  In terms of pairing 6H30DR's with other rectifiers I've found them to be less detailed and on the warm sound.  The 6N1P's are more detailed but probably be too harsh, I would go along the direction David suggested but widen it up the include 6BQ7's if you're unable to find 6CG7's.  I'm currently burning in mods to my amp and preserving my favorite tubes by using an old 5U4G and a really cheap pair on NOS RCA 6CG7's - and this combination works very well together.
    Phil   

Audioclyde

« Reply #635 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:04 pm »
    I'm anxiously awaiting my MW Transporter (with Plat. mods) from Dan, but have been following these forums and trying to learn from all this wealth of experience.  If possible, what has been the reaction to using the 6sn7 tubes with the octal adaptors?  I ask because although I have some very nice blackplate 6cg7's (I also use these in the pre section of my Cary SLI-80 integrated), I have some really nice pairs of 6sn7's that I could try (I'm really fond of Raytheon VT-231's and Ken Rad VT-231's). 

So any updates/thoughts from those of you experimenting with 6sn7's will be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #636 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:09 pm »
    I'm anxiously awaiting my MW Transporter (with Plat. mods) from Dan, but have been following these forums and trying to learn from all this wealth of experience.  If possible, what has been the reaction to using the 6sn7 tubes with the octal adaptors?  I ask because although I have some very nice blackplate 6cg7's (I also use these in the pre section of my Cary SLI-80 integrated), I have some really nice pairs of 6sn7's that I could try (I'm really fond of Raytheon VT-231's and Ken Rad VT-231's). 

So any updates/thoughts from those of you experimenting with 6sn7's will be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Randy,

Both of those are great choices and are tubes I have in my collection.

The Raytheon's have just been lent out, but the Ken-Rad's or a pair of  Sylvania 6SN7W metal base's will be first up when my adapters arrive.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
    « Reply #637 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:13 pm »
    Randy et al,
    The RCA silver label 6SN7's (w/ adapters of course) are my new favorite TP signal tubes.  They retain the balance of the Raytheon 6CG7's while providing, for me, a slightly tighter bass and clearly more overall musicality (probably a slight warming in the midrange, but not enough to call itself out).  Tone is very very nice.  The gain is slightly higher than the 6CG7's but nowhere near the high gain of the 6N1P's.  I tried the CBS/Hytron but on first blush found them a bit tubby in the bass, but will try again as I've moved things around.  Right now some Ken-Rads are warming up for initial later listening tonight.  (The Ken-Rads and CBS's are used).  None of these are the Vt-231 variety, but I would guess your Raytheon and Sylvanias would be great!  Zybar likes his Raytheons the best (in his Atma-sphere).

Edit: George chimed in while I was posting.  :D

Audioclyde

« Reply #638 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:18 pm »
    My Cary integrated uses a pair of 6sn7's also, so I got about 4 pair of that tube that I really like, and as I mentioned, I use 6cg7's in the Cary's pre spot (rather than 6922's), so I'm set for a lot of tube rolling fun.  But its great that both my amp and the MW Transporter uses the same tubes (the Cary uses a pair of tube rectifiers as well, basic is the 5u4, but right now I'm using a nice pair of Mazda gz32's).

I will likely just go thru my stash of 6cg7's in the Transporter once I get it burned in, but I really like a warm smooth sound, so I'll likely want to roll some of the 6sn7's in it soon.

Thanks again!

Audioclyde

« Reply #639 on: 24 Jan 2009, 09:20 pm »
    I have a pair of the DR's on the way also that I luckily stumbled across---Cary has confirmed I can roll these into the amp also, so I'll be trying them in both the amp and the Transporter too.