ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

grenamc

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #400 on: 5 Nov 2008, 10:26 am »
That is a killer pic.  Hope it sounds great.

-Michael

Philistine

« Reply #401 on: 5 Nov 2008, 06:58 pm »
That is a killer pic.  Hope it sounds great.

-Michael

Couldn't agree more, it looks great. :drool:
Also it would be a real find if a new tube could equal or, even better, outperform the mb GZ34.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2008, 08:21 pm by Philistine »

Mr P

« Reply #402 on: 6 Nov 2008, 01:49 am »
If anyone is interested, Parts Connexion has 10 pairs of Reflector DR tubes in stock as per their website. :drool: They processed my order so it is actually nine or less pairs now.  Ten days ago I received the Emission Labs 5U4G mesh plate.  My original plan was to try it in my Yamamoto 300B amp and then try it in the Transporter.  I tried it in the Yamamoto and now I can't take out.  The amount of improvement over the NOS Westinghouse 5U4G that was in my amp was significant. The frequency extremes are way more extended and there is a significant increase in bass.  I have approximately 100 hours on the tube.  Over the next week or so I will force myself to try it in the Transporter.  I will let you know how it turns out.  For those of you who own the LS 36.5 this may be a tube to consider if it is compatible.
I received an e-mail from Parts Connexion today stating that the Reflector DR tubes are on order with no ETA.  They have none in stock.  I apologize for posting the incorrect information yesterday.

tdangelo

« Reply #403 on: 6 Nov 2008, 03:41 am »
thalvor, I noticed this on the Emission Labs site about the tube you have:

"There is common misunderstanding that 5U4G and 5U4GB is the same. However the 5U4GB is a version, with lower internal resistance and higher peak current is allowed. The GB version is not the same tube as the G Version. Replacing 5U4G with 5U4GB may result in higher rectified voltage, so should never be done. Replacing 5U4GB with 5U4G may result in lower rectified voltage, and may result in damage of the 5U4G rectifier."

Is it ok to use this tube in the Transporter?  My MW Transporter came stock with an RCA 5U4GB.

Just wondering ;)
Tony

thalvor

« Reply #404 on: 6 Nov 2008, 08:55 am »
thalvor, I noticed this on the Emission Labs site about the tube you have:

"There is common misunderstanding that 5U4G and 5U4GB is the same. However the 5U4GB is a version, with lower internal resistance and higher peak current is allowed. The GB version is not the same tube as the G Version. Replacing 5U4G with 5U4GB may result in higher rectified voltage, so should never be done. Replacing 5U4GB with 5U4G may result in lower rectified voltage, and may result in damage of the 5U4G rectifier."

Is it ok to use this tube in the Transporter?  My MW Transporter came stock with an RCA 5U4GB.

Just wondering ;)
Tony

I asked Dan about this before buying the tube and he said it was fine to use the 5U4G in the transporter.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #405 on: 6 Nov 2008, 12:28 pm »
Tony,
If you'll peruse this thread you'll see, with rectifiers, that we roll (5U4)G's and GB's all the time.  Also 5AR4's, GZ32's, GZ37's (especially the highly vaunted and expensive High Wycombe GZ37), an occasional GZ33 and then variations on all these (brand, base style, etc.)  To oversimplify, the favorites out there are the high-dollar metal base 5AR4 and the High Wycombe Gz37, along with the value faves like the Tung Sol 5U4GB.  This new modern entry, the expensive (and huge) Czech-based Emission Labs has the potential to supplant the mb and HW as the cream of the crop.  As in all tube rolling cases, YMMV...and we hope it does.   :D

rydenfan

« Reply #406 on: 6 Nov 2008, 01:37 pm »
Ted, how about a pair of the Emissions Labs 5U4's as the tube in the PS???

tdangelo

« Reply #407 on: 6 Nov 2008, 01:40 pm »
Tony,
If you'll peruse this thread you'll see, with rectifiers, that we roll (5U4)G's and GB's all the time.  Also 5AR4's, GZ32's, GZ37's (especially the highly vaunted and expensive High Wycombe GZ37), an occasional GZ33 and then variations on all these (brand, base style, etc.)  To oversimplify, the favorites out there are the high-dollar metal base 5AR4 and the High Wycombe Gz37, along with the value faves like the Tung Sol 5U4GB.  This new modern entry, the expensive (and huge) Czech-based Emission Labs has the potential to supplant the mb and HW as the cream of the crop.  As in all tube rolling cases, YMMV...and we hope it does.   :D

thanks ;)

Philistine

« Reply #408 on: 6 Nov 2008, 01:55 pm »
Tony,

With NOS MBGZ34's going for $600 the Emission Labs 5U4G could represent a relative bargain at just over $200 - it will be interesting to get the feedback in how it sounds.
As an aside I did research what's coming out of the new 'Blackburn' company and it doesn't look like a new GZ34 is on the horizon, I may give them a direct call to clarify this - after all we have the same accent :roll:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #409 on: 6 Nov 2008, 01:57 pm »
Ted, how about a pair of the Emissions Labs 5U4's as the tube in the PS???

That would likely be VERY cool.   8)  

and a few bucks..........

and take up almost an entire rack height  :lol:

rydenfan

« Reply #410 on: 6 Nov 2008, 03:03 pm »
In a review of a tube amp and some tubes here is a quote I found from Srjan at 6moons on the Emission Lab tube

" For drive and low-end control, the huge EML 5U4G rectifier is the ticket. "

rydenfan

« Reply #411 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:40 am »
Have any TP owners experimented with placing a Shakti Stone on the TP? Thinking about trying one out and I was curious if anyone else already had.

funkmonkey

« Reply #412 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:40 am »
Do any of you guys have any new opinions about tubes for the updated Transporter (Turbo/hyper-warp drive version)?  Dan has mine right now and I will be moving the Mullard gz34 (1961 black "fat base") into my 36.5 by the time it gets back.  For now the RCA clear tops will stay in the TP.  Has anyone rolled anything yet?  Or are you guys sticking with what you had in place before the upgrade?

I wanted some opinions before I plop down a hefty sum for a new rectifier tube.

Thanks.
-Greg

rydenfan

« Reply #413 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:48 am »
Do any of you guys have any new opinions about tubes for the updated Transporter (Turbo/hyper-warp drive version)?  Dan has mine right now and I will be moving the Mullard gz34 (1961 black "fat base") into my 36.5 by the time it gets back.  For now the RCA clear tops will stay in the TP.  Has anyone rolled anything yet?  Or are you guys sticking with what you had in place before the upgrade?

Thanks.
-Greg

Funk the new mod is a pretty profound change. I would recommend not spending any money on tubes for awhile. You should have your new speakers soon. You may have to start from scratch with tube rolling once your speakers arrive. I say hold off till the mod and your speakers break-in and then go from there.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #414 on: 14 Nov 2008, 04:12 am »
Have any TP owners experimented with placing a Shakti Stone on the TP? Thinking about trying one out and I was curious if anyone else already had.

Yes, I've had a Shakti Stone on the left side (over the PS) for some months now; it was a significant improvement in background noise reduction and overall blackness, as well as a perceived gain in resolution.

Greg,
I've commented a bit about the mod and it's SIGNIFICANT change in tube rolling on the mod thread, but to summarize:
*  mod adds significant weight and overall solidity to the sound; it blew my DR's out of the TP though...too much of a good thing with them being also in the 36.5.
*  I've now settled on some Emerson (RCA) black plate 6CG7's and love the sound.  The Raytheon black plates are close but a bit too forward.  The mod tends to move you up several rows.
*  I've left the metal base in as rectifier.  Anything else is a compromise for me.

Net/net, listen to David.  He is spot on regarding leaving well enough alone and enjoying the mod before you add too many variables.

funkmonkey

« Reply #415 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:24 pm »
Thanks guys,
I fully plan on waiting, just curious if the mod was taking you guys in a different direction (tube wise).

Philistine

« Reply #416 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:59 pm »

Thanks.
-Greg

I agree with Ted/David - and hang tight until you get it back after the mod.
My initial feel is that the mod does level the playing field with tubes, but I would prefer to hold judgment for a little longer on this.

jwes

« Reply #417 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:51 pm »

After a long wait I finally got the Emission Labs 5U4G mesh plate too. I have only tried it out in the transporter for a couple of hours, but first impressions are VERY positive! I will come back with impressions on how it stacks up agains the mb gz34 and HW gz37  when it has settled. It is a very tall tube, which I think will preclude it from being used in the LS 36.5. Because of the height of the EML rectifier the transporter no longer fits into my rack and has to be placed on the top shelf.

Thalvor, any news on the performance of the EML Mesh 5U4G vs. the mb gz34?

thalvor

« Reply #418 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:05 pm »

After a long wait I finally got the Emission Labs 5U4G mesh plate too. I have only tried it out in the transporter for a couple of hours, but first impressions are VERY positive! I will come back with impressions on how it stacks up agains the mb gz34 and HW gz37  when it has settled. It is a very tall tube, which I think will preclude it from being used in the LS 36.5. Because of the height of the EML rectifier the transporter no longer fits into my rack and has to be placed on the top shelf.

Thalvor, any news on the performance of the EML Mesh 5U4G vs. the mb gz34?

Jwes, I have been comparing the EML Mesh 5U4G and the mb gz34 and I have written a very favorable mini-review of the EML rectifier. But before I put it up here I wanted to have one more good round of listening just to double-check my findings. I have however been so caught up in family matters lately I haven't had time to do this final round of listening, but I hope to make time for it soon and have it posted in a couple of days.

jwes

« Reply #419 on: 15 Nov 2008, 05:07 pm »
Hi Thalvor,

Well, I appreciate that you are doing this to help us all out here, and certainly hope your family matters are o.k.!