Once

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Once
« on: 29 May 2008, 08:36 am »
I simply have to let you all in on one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen.  It's called "Once" and is one of the best "music movies" I've ever seen, although that sobriquet probably demeans it.  It's also one of the best love stories I've ever seen.  Starring two incredibly musicians, who incidentally aren't actors, it spins an incredible heartfelt and authentic story of two people that the fates brought together at almost the right time and place.

I can say so little without revealing anything, and to be honest nothing needs be said- at least, nothing beyond this:  SEE THIS MOVIE! 

pardales

Re: Once
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2008, 02:05 pm »
I too found this a moving film. Very engaging. Good music.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 03:34 pm by pardales »

acresm22

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2008, 03:15 pm »
One of our local radio stations played some cuts from this soundtrack a few weeks ago...sounded beautiful.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2008, 04:45 pm »
Loved this film...one of the few movies I re-watched a second time shortly after the first viewing.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2008, 11:56 pm »
We watched it New Year's Eve.
Since then, we've bought the soundtrack, the DVD, and all of the Frames' back catalog   8)

going to see them live sometime this year.

I introduced a bunch of people at the Lone Star Audio Fest to it.

Go see it!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2008, 03:16 am »
Here's a youtube performance by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova; the song is "Falling Slowly".  Man, I've gotta get the stuff by The Frames, too.

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2008, 03:58 pm »
Rob,

I found the Once soundtrack on vinyl in Austin last Saturday (waterloo records)

Also just tracked down Dance the Devil by the Frames.
Great stuff.

LadyDog

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:37 pm »
"Falling Slowly" great song.  Also enjoy some of Glen's other work, so been meaning to check out the movie.  Thanks for the  :thumb: recommendation. 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2008, 07:46 pm »
I simply have to let you all in on one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen.  It's called "Once" and is one of the best "music movies" I've ever seen, although that sobriquet probably demeans it.  It's also one of the best love stories I've ever seen.  Starring two incredibly musicians, who incidentally aren't actors, it spins an incredible heartfelt and authentic story of two people that the fates brought together at almost the right time and place.

I can say so little without revealing anything, and to be honest nothing needs be said- at least, nothing beyond this:  SEE THIS MOVIE! 

Looks like there "are" people who dig independent films (vs the big-budget Hollywood productions like Indiana Jones....).  Then, "Redbelt" also may be worthy of your while.  I saw the film by accident, and boy, was it good!  I was told David Mamet has always put out good meaningful works, and this Redbelt is truly a gem.  Highly recommended. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2008, 08:16 pm »
Just watched it again last night; my opinion was reinforced.  I have to find the soundtrack CD.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:01 am »
A most charming film.

The featured song sticks in your head and it seems you almost have to find some resolution.

One of the songs and scenes that did this best to me was from the movie "Closer" featuring Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter."  As the film wraps up and you're coming down from this emotion ride the ending scenes with that song playing and Natalie Portman walking through the crowded streets in slow motion is just hypnotic.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2008, 04:16 am »
Agreed.  And I really liked Closer as a film.