Anyone out there using an induction cooktop?

ctviggen

Re: Anyone out there using an induction cooktop?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2008, 11:46 pm »
Once again, cast iron is fine on induction cooktops.  Sure, if you really worked at it, you might be able to scratch the glass, but I am not exactly a careful cook (the careless gourmet was my moniker) and I have had no problems.  There are many sorts of ferrous pans, including  Chantel, some All Clad lines, LeCrueset, and good old Lodge cast iron.  I like a well made pan but I think all this designer cookware business is nonsense.

Am I anti gas?  No, I just tend to resist dogma, and I think gas has this cachet that if restaurants or chef so and so insist on it, it must be superior.  It reminds me of many building contractors.  They learn one way to do something and then spend the rest of their lives doing it in that way, never asking if there may be a better way.  Now I know that every kitchen design magazine features mammoth "pro" style stoves with acres of stainless steel, but does that make you a better cook?  Much of kitchen design is about style and fashion, but there has never been any evidence that a $3000 designer oven roasts your chicken any better than a $400 Kenmore.

What I didn't like about the Viking was that to boil a large pot of water for pasta was a long term project (granted, we are at altitude, but still...), it was crap at simmering, a pain in the ass to clean, and common to all gas cooktops, it pollutes your indoor air, or if the windows are open or the ceiling fan on, the flame blows all over the place.  I just think induction works better, is cleaner and more energy efficient, and a breeze to clean up.  So I am a heretic - I also left SubZeros and never looked back.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mark

But you can get a nice gas stove for not much over 1,100.  You can't get an induction one (at least one that slides in with an oven) for anywhere close to that.  Plus, I used to love glass cooktop electric ranges (if I couldn't cook with gas, that is).  Then I broke the top on one and realized how darn expensive the glass is.  And, I like to slide my pots and pans across the surface.  That's not possible with a glass surface.  (I simply can't believe you can slide a cast iron 12 inch skillet on glass and not make scratch marks -- it's not possible.) 

Now, I'm not into "pro" style kitchens either, but after careful review of induction, I think it's too expensive, your house has to be wired or rewired for it, and the glass top is a major, major problem.  And I love gadgets.

jules

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2008, 12:50 am »
If induction offers instant huge amounts of heat, I'm all for it. One of the most common faults of domestic equipment is that the burners/plates just don't have the output to allow some cooking processes to work properly.

Here's a few items that apparently  don't work on induction ...

* copper [already mentioned and uncommon except that it's used in the bases of many stainless steel pots/pans].
* aluminium ... yes, ok, it did get a bad name some years back and really hasn't recovered but it does have its uses.
* titanium alloy ... wot??? you say. Scanware make some great non-stick titanium equipment and their wok is a wonder for those who don't like the thin steel Chinese ones.

A question or two:

It sounds as though stainless steel isn't going to work [particularly if it has a copper base]. Is that the case?

If you re-equip with a range of pots that work with induction, what material are they and if you have a dual gas/induction system, will these pots work on the gas if required?

Does the material used in induction friendly pots share the qualities of stainless? I ask this because stainless is close to useless [IMO  :)] for frying or processes where sticking can be a problem.

jules

brj

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jun 2008, 01:06 am »
FYI, Consumer Reports includes cooktops as one of the "frequently updated" review items.  The last update was this past February.  I have no way to really evaluate CR's accuracy, but my sense is that they are pretty good when it comes to major appliances.

If you have an online subscription ($26/year?), here is the link to the article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/cooktops-and-wall-ovens/cooktops-and-wall-ovens-sub/index.htm

They list induction ovens as a separate group in the electric category, and include models from Electrolux, Thermador, Gaggenau, Kenmore, Diva and Viking with prices from $1725 to $3000.

Another older link that specifically considers induction cooktops:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/cooktops-and-wall-ovens/induction-cooktops-506/overview/index.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=induction

Good luck, Jeff, and let us know what you decide!

Double Ugly

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:11 am »
I also left SubZeros and never looked back.

Why'd you leave Sub-Zero, and to what did you move?

Additionally, have you any advice on what to look for when shopping for induction cooktops and cookware?  As I said, I'll be remodeling soon and I'd appreciate any insight.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2008, 03:48 pm by Double Ugly »

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:12 am »
Double post... sorry.  :oops:

edmiston

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jun 2008, 02:39 pm »
When I first put in a sub zero, the bottom freezer model was $3k.  It has since nearly doubled.  My last house here in Durango had a full sized SubZero fridge and freezer.  The units were four years old when we bought the house, and shortly thereafter the compressor went on the freezer.  The service guy reported that this was not the first time this compressor had been replaced!  Now I am all for paying a premium price for a superior product, but the service man told me they use the same compressors as everyone else.  Then the doors wouldn't close.  The super heavy doors (particularly with wood inserts) are supported by a little nylon disc which fails. 

I could not see that the units performed better than a run of the mill fridge, and thought the huge price difference (particularly if you add custom panels) could be better spent on other things (say, audio), so I went with a cabinet depth SS KitchenAide.  Looks fine, works fine, one third the cost.

As for choosing which induction unit, I really don't have any experience with anything other than the Diva.  I do think the CookTek units are probably superior as they are for the food service industry, but since they are not in standard sizes, they represent more of a commitment.   We really like LeCrueset cookware, but they are very heavy and some might object to that.

FWIW, we also have a house in Oxford, England and just looked into induction units there.  Since they are more common, the standard size Bosch unit sells for $1000, including 17%VAT!

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2008, 03:35 pm »
Muchas gracious, Mark.  That's precisely the type info I need.

I had every intention of putting a Sub-Zero unit in the house we're purchasing, complete with panels and matching cabinets we've already chosen.  In light of your comments, we will reevaluate our choices, and potentially save a lot of money in the process.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2008, 03:40 pm »
Not to turn this into a SubZero bashing, but my sister had numerous compressor problems on her unit as well.
Apparently at one point the part was on back order (or something) but regardless the reason, she was without a fridge for almost a month.

Bob

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2008, 03:59 pm »
Not to turn this into a SubZero bashing, but my sister had numerous compressor problems on her unit as well.
Apparently at one point the part was on back order (or something) but regardless the reason, she was without a fridge for almost a month.

Bob

Nah, I don't believe anyone is bashing for the sake of bashing.  You and Mark simply offered first- and second-hand accounts of expensive appliances which don't perform to their price point.  Considering my current undertaking and plans, it's pure gold to me. 

I suppose the Sub-Zero talk isn't entirely on topic, but Sub-Zero's "cooking" brand (Wolf) does include an induction cooktop.

aerius

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2008, 08:15 pm »
And, I like to slide my pots and pans across the surface.  That's not possible with a glass surface.  (I simply can't believe you can slide a cast iron 12 inch skillet on glass and not make scratch marks -- it's not possible.) 

Glass is harder than cast iron, the glass ain't gonna scratch.  It's probably harder than the steel in your kitchen knives as well, if you're gonna scratch glass you'll need carbides or hardened tool steels.

A question or two:

It sounds as though stainless steel isn't going to work [particularly if it has a copper base]. Is that the case?

If you re-equip with a range of pots that work with induction, what material are they and if you have a dual gas/induction system, will these pots work on the gas if required?

Depends on the type of stainless steel, some stainless alloys are non-magnetic and won't work while others will work just fine.  Bring a magnet along with you when shopping for cookware, if the magnet sticks to the underside of the pot then it'll work on induction stoves, if it doesn't, it won't.