VSAC 2008 @ the event

Kevin Haskins

VSAC 2008 @ the event
« on: 25 May 2008, 05:38 am »
Wish I had some pictures worth showing but I've spent all day at our room.   Tomorrow I'll make some laps around the hotel and get pictures of some of the most interesting/original rooms.   

For us, the show has been excellent.    The Kepler's are making music and Dan Wright's Transporter is really something.    I don't often rave about products but that thing is a no-brainer.    It is simply the best digital source I've ever used and the preamp is no slouch either.     

Overall having a blast!   I'll report back tomorrow with pics.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: VSAC 2008 @ the event
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 09:01 am »
Looking forward to the photo's.....thanks Kevin ! :thumb:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 09:17 am »
Looking forward to the photo's.....thanks Kevin ! :thumb:
I left my upload cable for my camera at home!    :duh:

I'll be back tomorrow and I'll upload what I have.   I got around to most rooms but since I had one to occupy myself I didn't get a chance to listen and see as much as I would have liked.    Just the same I'll post the pictures I have.

For my part, I'd like to thank Colleen Cardas and Dan Wright.   It is a real pleasure to work with people of their caliber and integrity.    I have nothing but respect for both of them and the companies they have built.    Good things follow good people and that is evident with both Dan and Colleen.   

More to come tomorrow after I get home and unpacked!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 09:31 am »
Thanks again Kevin..... :thumb:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2008, 05:41 pm »
Ok.... this could be long.

First off, the show was a lot of fun.   It is always a treat to visit with others who share your passion.   VSAC is special because it's roots are that of a hobby based event.   Doc B. created the event to bring tube crazy audiophiles together.   It is a collection of people who have a deeper involvement in audio than your typical crowd.    These are guys that push the boundaries, and sometimes go over.    In other words, my kind of people.     :thumb:

Dan Schmalle is the founder and originator of VSAC.  This year, he was not organizing things but did manage to put together a simply impressive feat of engineering.   Within the span of a couple weeks Dan & Paul Joppa managed to design & execute this entire active speaker design using a wall of SET amplifiers.   They also built ALL of those amplifiers within a span of a couple weeks.    All I could say was wow!   I'm not worthy......   

Here are two of the true gentlemen of the audio world.   Both soft spoken yet extremely knowledgeable guys with a lot of humility.   Paul Joppa on the left, John Tucker on the right.   

John Tucker's Exemplar Audio room.   Certainly some of the best sound of the show.   

This is Jon VerHalen of Lowther America.    Looks like a got Jon with his eyes closed but there was a lot of eye/ear candy in the room.    The few cuts I heard when I was in the room was a piano recording that sounded perfect, an accomplishment for any loudspeaker.

Jon will have to fill me in here.   I don't know the details of the drivers or the cabinet construction.   Certainly one of the show's highlights.

Here are the best looking people at the show.    The guy in the middle is sleeping.

More to come.... I have to take care of some business.

« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 09:38 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2008, 07:35 pm »
Here is our room.   I ripped this from Stephaen's coverage at 6moons.   I'll have to remember to get a picture of my own room next time I'm at an event.   :roll:  Go check it out here.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac20082/vsac.html 

Speaking of Stephaen, here he is (right) with Bill the piano tuner (center) & Ralph Henson (left).   All really good people and Stephaen's attention to Bill, getting him around to all the rooms and events, speaks volumes about his character.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2008, 02:51 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2008, 08:22 pm »
I don't know these guys but the one on the left looks like he just got out of prison.    In the center is Frank from BC, one of the nicest Canucks I've ever had the privilege of meeting.   On the right is Chris Bobiak, founder of the Dick Cheney Appreciation Club, an organization looking to persuade Dick to go hunting with John McCain and grab the top seat for himself.   

« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 09:54 pm by Kevin Haskins »

klh

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2008, 10:44 pm »
Hey Kevin... are you the guy with the Bears shirt on? Never seen a picture of you before. It's funny putting faces with names after years of online interactions.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2008, 10:48 pm »
Hey Kevin... are you the guy with the Bears shirt on? Never seen a picture of you before. It's funny putting faces with names after years of online interactions.

Yea... I'm the short bald sex machine.   

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2008, 10:55 pm »
Kevin,

It's an audio conference, you'll have to be more specific than
"Short, bald, sex machine"
 :duh: :wink:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2008, 01:05 am »
Kevin,

I figured that was very descriptive.   I'll give you another hint.... I'm a Chicago Bears fan and in the picture with Dan Wright, I'm the shorter of the two of us.    8)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2008, 01:19 am »
Voted #1 exhibitor's room by the faithful.

I took this picture just to show my wife how reasonable my loudspeakers are in comparison to what they could be.

The man behind this madness, Jeffrey Jackson and his award for winning.    I'm not sure what they did with the rest of this lady.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2008, 01:36 am »
Here is Doc's other venture, the Tape Project.   Do I need one of these?   Nope.....  I think I see one in my future though.   Those Paul Stubblebine mastered tapes are calling my name.

http://www.tapeproject.com/

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2008, 01:40 am »
This one falls under the category of "Don't try this at home".    There was a sign reading "1000V exposed, do not touch".    I bet the hotel legal waiver was signed in triplicate.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2008, 01:41 am »
That is it for now.... I'm going home to get some sleep.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2008, 01:52 am »
Thanks Kevin.... :thumb:

I did find this over on 6moons...

I should try this pose......but I need a big speaker...

And.....I think that dog had too many beers....he's out cold... :lol:

Brad

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2008, 01:56 am »
Kevin,

I figured that was very descriptive.   I'll give you another hint.... I'm a Chicago Bears fan and in the picture with Dan Wright, I'm the shorter of the two of us.    8)

At my regular pub, we have a running joke when describing most of the people that go there:
"You know Bob, right,  older guy, sits at the bar, drinks a lot......"

It's a LITTLE bit similar with the audio crowd  :wink:

Thanks for the pics - VSAC looks like it was a great time.

TerryO

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2008, 02:19 am »
I don't know these guys but the one on the left looks like he just got out of prison.    In the center is Frank from BC, one of the nicest Canucks I've ever had the privilege of meeting.   On the right is Chris Bobiak, founder of the Dick Cheney Appreciation Club, an organization looking to persuade Dick to go hunting with John McCain and grab the top seat for himself.   

Mr. Haskins,
I think that the whole idea of rehabilitation and reintegration of criminals into society is a praiseworthy goal. Just because someone "looks like" a demented scumbag or hardened criminal doesn't mean that they can't turn their lives around and become productive citizens. Obviously, the individual shown is attempting to associate with worthwhile, productive members of society while he's out on work release, and for that reason alone, you really shouldn't stereotype the losers that show up at these events.

I hope that this gentle reminder is sufficient to motivate you in the right direction and you'll strive to improve your sense of humanity towards these poor unfortunate individuals.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2008, 02:57 pm »
Mr. Haskins,
I think that the whole idea of rehabilitation and reintegration of criminals into society is a praiseworthy goal. Just because someone "looks like" a demented scumbag or hardened criminal doesn't mean that they can't turn their lives around and become productive citizens. Obviously, the individual shown is attempting to associate with worthwhile, productive members of society while he's out on work release, and for that reason alone, you really shouldn't stereotype the losers that show up at these events.

I hope that this gentle reminder is sufficient to motivate you in the right direction and you'll strive to improve your sense of humanity towards these poor unfortunate individuals.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I agree Terry, but that guy looks pretty scary you have to admit.   

serenechaos

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2008, 06:14 pm »
Voted #1 exhibitor's room by the faithful.

I took this picture just to show my wife how reasonable my loudspeakers are in comparison to what they could be.
I attended the event with my wife. 
She listened to this system play about a minute and a half, looked at me, and said "You can build those, right?" and started nodding...
She's still talking about how much better they sound than anything she's ever heard, especially with good tape or vinyl. 
I'm so glad WAF is sometimes all about what it sounds like!