Has anyone seen Speed Racer yet?

mcrespo71

Has anyone seen Speed Racer yet?
« on: 23 May 2008, 03:39 pm »
I'm just curious.  I loved the cartoon as a kid and am contemplating seeing it in IMAX, which always makes movies seem better. :thumb:

MaxCast

Re: Has anyone seen Speed Racer yet?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 04:26 pm »
I loved it as a kid too.  I'm taking the boys this weekend.  :thumb:

Mightyburner

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 04:41 pm »
I loved Speed as a kid too but,,,the movie was bad.   Really bad IMHO and far too long.  I thought I was going to have a seizure.  Of course my son (age 9) loved it but even he doesn't want to see it again.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2008, 04:45 pm »
I loved Speed as a kid too but,,,the movie was bad.   Really bad IMHO and far too long.  I thought I was going to have a seizure.  Of course my son (age 9) loved it but even he doesn't want to see it again.

So I may have a stroke seeing it in IMAX?   :nono:

mca

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2008, 05:08 pm »
Just watching the TV trailers looked painful. I had higher hopes for this one.

Mightyburner

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2008, 05:24 pm »

So I may have a stroke seeing it in IMAX?   :nono:

I couldn't imagine seeing this in an IMAX theater.

Don't get me wrong, the movie didn't change much from the cartoon as I remember it but the special effects were just waay to over the top for me.  There's a very good reason why this movie isn't making any $$$,,,,it's bad.  After Indiana Jones, our next Father/Son movie is The Hulk.  Judging from the trailers, I'm not too encouraged with this one either.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2008, 05:26 pm »
Well I was going to post a retraction os a post I made in the Iron  Man thread.  After seing one trailer for Speed Racer and learning it was down by the Matrix fellas I was expecting big things and posted I thought this movie would be HUGE and be one of the biggest grossing films EVER. Well, I was DEAD WRONG.

Well, I didn't catch from my brief trailer that this was basically a kids movie and that is the biggest info. one needs to know. As a kids movie it was ok, as far as what I was expecting I was  disappointed and think they missed a great chance on this one.  Maybe they can get a do over a la The Hulk.  Like many I loved Speed as a kid and even on that level the film didn't do it for me.  It had some good elements and in many ways reached back to some truthfulness to the cartoon and that mindset but...

I think that movie people have classified this as a bust as far a summer blockbusters go.  if you have a kid and don't have these grand expectations then go see it otherwise I'd pass.  I must say that I find the actor who played Speed about as boring as a pet rock.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2008, 06:16 pm »
I was afraid of this.  The trailers I saw looked too gimmicky, unbelievable, yeah right type of stuff.  They should have done real cool stuff with that car.  That's what I remember the most the trouble Speed would be in and how the car would get him out.  Remember the Mammoth car?  That was cool  :lol:    Maybe we'll see Indiana Jones.

Pirate

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2008, 07:39 pm »
Yes, I saw the movie. Took my 7 year old and he loved it!  I was never a Speed Racer Fan and couldn't stand the TV series.  Really I wasn't expecting too much from the movie either. It was "OK" if your into kiddie shows, kinda like Spy Kids . I mostly enjoyed watching my son's reactions though. The plot was easy for him to follow and he was on the edge of his seat most of the time. Again it's a kids movie  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2008, 12:16 am »
I was a huge fan of the original cartoon.  With this in mind, I actually enjoyed the movie...I thought they did a good job with the visual nods to the carton; eg the overhead views of the spinouts, the costumes, Speed's red socks, even some of the voices, etc.  It all brought back some good childhood memories of the cartoon.  But I agree that overall it was a let-down.  The story was too obvious and not told in a way that would really grip you. 

The casting of Racer X (Matthew Fox) and Royalton (Roger Allam) were great, both whom I thought were perfect in their characters.  And John Goodman as Speed's dad was better than I thought he'd be.  But I thought they totally mis-cast Spritle and Sparky, who were both unsuccessful as the comic relief in the movie.  Everyone else was ok, but nothing special

I will say that the Mach 5 still beats the Batmobile...

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2008, 12:17 am »
I must say that I find the actor who played Speed about as boring as a pet rock.

He was really good in "The Girl Next Door" (with Elisha Cuthbert)...

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2008, 02:08 am »
I must say that I find the actor who played Speed about as boring as a pet rock.

He was really good in "The Girl Next Door" (with Elisha Cuthbert)...

I saw that movie and I don't remember that guy.
He gets alot of roles though. He starred in "Into The Wild" which I enjoyed despite his lame performance.  With a more engaging actor that film could have been so much better.  After seeing him in a few movies, he just doesn't do it for me.  He makes Richard Gere look interesting.

I can't resist Phil, who would you have liked to see play Chim Chim?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2008, 02:55 am »

I saw the trailer while at another movie, and noted that in one scene the speedster looked like a matchbox in the scene; so I wasn't prepared to spend $12 to see the movie.  Of course, they use models to shoot the scenes, but that particular model was not convincing enough.  When I was so dumb to notice that, I didn't want to see the movie.  Dupe me with a little more sophistication, I said, not a matchbox. :nono:

mcrespo71

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2008, 05:00 am »
I just saw it in IMAX and actually enjoyed it.  It was a visual spectacle for sure and there were some cheesy parts, but I really liked Matthew Fox as Racer X, John Goodman as Pops, and that little hottie as Trixie (forgot her name).  I think it was pretty true to the cartoon with a serious Matrix flair.  I've seen far, far worse.  It was worth seeing IMO.  But I'm too much of a fanboy for any type of superhero/cartoon from my youth to be unbiased   :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2008, 11:16 am »
I can't resist Phil, who would you have liked to see play Chim Chim?

oo...that's a tough one!  I didn't like the monkeys they got to play Chim Chim, because they were too big.  But they had to do that, because the guy they got to play Spritle was WAY too big.  Spritle should have been played by the guy who played "young Speed", or someone like a young Henry Thomas (the kid from E.T.) or Fred Savage (the kid from The Wonder Years).  Then they could have got a younger, more agile and cute monkey...

(it would have been horrible of they had CGI'd Chim Chim, so I'm glad they didn't do that)...

ehider

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2008, 10:02 pm »
The movie seemed (to me) almost like one giant movie trailer. It just seemed like myriads of video bytes that were all slammed together. There was very little cohesiveness as the movie progressed. IMHO, if you are looking for a 2 hour and 15 minute movie trailer, then this movie is for you :thumb: Otherwise, be prepared for a VERY LONG movie with ground breaking great special effects.... BUT I am willing to bet that most won't really care about them LONG before the film has reached it's end :duh: I went to this movie along with a hard core Speed Racer fan (he has the entire cartoon set on DVD). He was woefully let down by this movie and it's wayward plot with untold special effects seemingly hitting you over the head at every moment. I grew up with this cartoon and loved it as a child myself. Unfortunately, over 100 movie critics have given this movie a low rating of C - to D+. Unfortunately, I absolutely agree with them :cry: :cry: :x
« Last Edit: 24 May 2008, 10:26 pm by ehider »

pardales

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2008, 01:55 am »
Yeah, it was about 30-45 minutes too long.....but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Many moments did remind me of the feelings I had watching the cartoon, which I loved, but it was all brought up to today's speed. Quite good I thought.  :thumb: