Implementing the SW-12-16FR servo open baffle subwoofer driver

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
Those updated T/S parameters were measured by Klippel system at Red Rock Acoustics.   

rick57

Thanks Brian

Forgive me if I'm getting too technical here for some, but if we're using such sophisticated drivers & especially electronics, we should do the best job on the enclosures . .

"Filtering only filters out the incoming signal. Once those are generated as energy in the form of acoustic energy or harmonic distortion, that filter has no effect at all. I personally don't like odd shape filtering too much"

I see your point.

"the reactive force of SW12-16FR is already 20% smaller than a woofer with 100g Mms"?

So the force cancellation is based (only?) on cone weight (which is half Linkwitz' driver, the XLS12 inch) rather than cone excursions, which would be greater with the SW-12-16FR having 25% greater Xmax?
And does the servo's action also increase bottom end bass, therefore more reactive forces?

"the frame needs to structured so that the force transfers at the shortest distance between them for the cancellation. If the force needs to propagate via the long panel dimension, it will cause vibration, and propagate and lose the effectiveness". 

Not sure what you mean in practise ? make the depth as short as possible?

"Another thing to consider is the "structure" to cause resonance is still there. So one should not place any driver (other than subwoofer) *close to it".

For the 'mid-woofer' sitting above this sub, what is the minimum distance away that you'd recommend?

* To get to the core of it, esp where a more modest height helps with WAF, what OB 'enclosure' shape do you think gives the best result?
(And what size would you recommend)

(presumably then we wont need a notch filter?)

Thank you

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
Thanks Brian

Forgive me if I'm getting too technical here for some, but if we're using such sophisticated drivers & especially electronics, we should do the best job on the enclosures . .

No problem at all.  There is a saying to the effect that "if no one asks questions after a presentation, it is either too perfect, or nobody understands to ask questions."

"the reactive force of SW12-16FR is already 20% smaller than a woofer with 100g Mms"?

So the force cancellation is based (only?) on cone weight (which is half Linkwitz' driver, the XLS12 inch) rather than cone excursions, which would be greater with the SW-12-16FR having 25% greater Xmax?
And does the servo's action also increase bottom end bass, therefore more reactive forces?

When we compare two systems, we assume they are under the same output condition. In this case, it means the same velocity and same excursion. Xmax is related to the maximum capability. The reactive force is the opposite of active force which is the force exerted by the voice coil to move the cone. What does this force move? A mass-spring system. For SW-12-16FR, not only the mass is lower, the spring is also more compliant (146L vs others?). The result is it takes less force to move to the same speed. For the same active force on the cone, there is an exact opposite sign force on the frame/magnet structure.

"the frame needs to structured so that the force transfers at the shortest distance between them for the cancellation. If the force needs to propagate via the long panel dimension, it will cause vibration, and propagate and lose the effectiveness". 

Not sure what you mean in practise ? make the depth as short as possible?

Actually I meant adding direct supporting links between the locations where those 2 drivers are mounted. Force does not magically transfer from one place to another. In needs the material/media to compress or bend. Once that happens, the energy is formed, on the loose and can propagate to all direction. Before that, it was just a force.  If we install very sturdy links between drivers' mounting location, the force will propagate via the supporting links faster, cancel the reactive force as its earliest time, and reduce the net force remained to propagate to the entire panel.

BTW, you also bring up a good point of what impact it has if the depth is less.  I think it will move the resonance higher. Maybe it is high enough where sound absorbing material is very effective.  It is good for sub too if you roll it off fast enough.   

"Another thing to consider is the "structure" to cause resonance is still there. So one should not place any driver (other than subwoofer) *close to it".

For the 'mid-woofer' sitting above this sub, what is the minimum distance away that you'd recommend?

* To get to the core of it, esp where a more modest height helps with WAF, what OB 'enclosure' shape do you think gives the best result?
(And what size would you recommend)

(presumably then we wont need a notch filter?)

Thank you

I cannot answer the last part. Maybe other members can help me out here. I am not very artist to come up with a design both good to look at and also sound in engineering.  My thought is that the cavity exposed to you is the most important. You can use sound absorbing material to control the cavity resonance. If you at the same time, applied sufficient attenuation slope, it can help further. For the midrange driver, if you can somehow block the path of energy from midrange driver to the front cavity of the W frame, it also helps. In addition, the sound energy is inversely proportional to distance squared, so ...

rick57

Looks like a question for the Open Baffle Circle . . 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

milosz

Hoping to revive this topic......

I like the "W" cabinet, planning to build a pair and integrate them with a "Mye" style brace / bases for my Magnepan MG-3.6's. 

Some questions about the open baffle sub.

1. What's the purpose of having one drive point "in" and the other pointing "out?"  Is it just so they'll fit in as close a proximity as possible?

2. I assume that these woofers are wired out-of-phase with each other - so the cones move in the same polarity since one drive "points" out and the other drive "points" in... I don't see how it could work if they were wired in phase....

kyrill

hi
I have 4 of those woofers but in a plain  plane. with the rest of the drivers. (mid and high decoupled mechanically.
But I want to add a second 8 inch mid driver (Visaton B200) but then the speaker becomes too high.

So a W frame would solve that problem.
Milosz's question is a practical one,

My main reason for posting is that I have the drivers and amp  since 2009 and they still work as a champ :) I listen at least 10 hrs a week 11 months a year. :thumb:

Danny Richie

1. What's the purpose of having one drive point "in" and the other pointing "out?"  Is it just so they'll fit in as close a proximity as possible?

It is suppose to cancel out some odd order distortions. It definitely balances out the weight of the structure. And in the case of the W frame it allows the whole structure to be shorter.

2. I assume that these woofers are wired out-of-phase with each other - so the cones move in the same polarity since one drive "points" out and the other drive "points" in... I don't see how it could work if they were wired in phase....

That is correct. The polarity has to be flipped or it doesn't work.