14BSST (20 amp version)

KeithA

14BSST (20 amp version)
« on: 19 May 2008, 05:18 pm »
James (or anyone)

Can the 20 amp version of this amp be run on a 15 amp circuit using a 15/20 amp plug (similar to the Torus)?

I know that if one is riding it hard, you can't, but what if being used moderatly?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 14BSST (20 amp version)
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2008, 05:33 pm »
James (or anyone)

Can the 20 amp version of this amp be run on a 15 amp circuit using a 15/20 amp plug (similar to the Torus)?

I know that if one is riding it hard, you can't, but what if being used moderatly?

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes it can. The only caution is that the 15 amp circuit breaker in the house wiring would trip before the 20 amp circuit breaker in the amp.

james

KeithA

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2008, 05:40 pm »
How likely would it be that the house breaker would trip, at say, 200WPC??

I guess what I am looking for is if anyone has been doing this, running the amp in moderation, and not tripping anything. I know a 20 amp circuit would be best, but in the interim (while room mods were being done) could the amp be run and not be tripping the 15 amp house breaker all the time.

Keith

splittailz

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2008, 07:52 pm »
Keith, are you planning on hooking the 14 to your Torus also?

KeithA

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2008, 08:23 pm »
Keith, are you planning on hooking the 14 to your Torus also?

That would be the plan at this point. I don't ever come close to running my system hard, so I think I can get away with it in the interim. At some point I may need more Torus power, etc, when I expand my room size, speakers, etc.

At this point I have B&W 804s. They cringe now when they see the 6B. They'll run if they see a 14B :D

But yeah, even the 14B into the Torus at the level I run my system will be the only thing drawing any real current.

keith

splittailz

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2008, 08:30 pm »
I had 2 Proceed HPA3's hooked to a RM-20 Balanced Torus,plus 2 JL Audio Fathoms, never had any problems.

KeithA

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2008, 08:49 pm »
I had 2 Proceed HPA3's hooked to a RM-20 Balanced Torus,plus 2 JL Audio Fathoms, never had any problems.

I don't anticipate any problems either, if I go that route. I mean, when Stereophile reviewed the 28BSSTs they had 'em running thriugh an RM-20.

I understand the possibility of tripping breakers, but that would be some big power going through my system...and with 200WPC recommended speakers...tripping the breaker would be the least of my worries :D

Keith

rwherb

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2008, 08:57 pm »
Keith,

I have been running a 20 amp 14B SST on a 15 amp line both through a 20 amp Torus and plugged into the wall and have never had a problem. I do listen at moderate levels.

Happy listening!

Ron

KeithA

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2008, 12:18 am »
You know, as much as I never buy used...sometimes something comes along you just can't say no to :wink: An absolutely pristine 14BSST being sold by a fellow Canadian.....

I'll take a page from the "PhilA" playbook. Since I can't find one to demo, I'll buy a great used one to try...and if it's not for me....... :wink:

Keith

splittailz

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2008, 12:57 am »
that 1 on audiogon appears to be a good buy. if it was black front I would probably be communicating with him about it for my surrounds. I found 1 on ebay a couple weeks ago for 3500.00. but it was 4-5 years old. I really do not think you will have a problem with 2 amps on the rm-20. you are correct about stereophile running 2 28's on a 120 volt rm-20. I was told the rm-20 balanced would support 75-80 amps short term. never had a problem with it for the year I had it. Sold it to someone on here last week.

KeithA

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2008, 01:02 am »
Yeah, this is the one on Audiogon (from Canada). I took these pictures from a posting of the same amp on a similar Canadian site.

But this thing is pristine, so I had to buy it. The great thing about buying from Canada (for me) is that i save about 13% to 15% of tax that I would have to pay if this same amp came up to me from the US.

This is a change for me, though, since I always like to buy new. But this thing is immaculate.

Keith

splittailz

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2008, 01:03 am »
BTW, forget the 200 watt power rating on the speakers. The speakers I run with the 28's are only rated for 250. The mains took about 90% power from the 28's over the weekend, 4 ohm speakers. I will say that 1500-1600 watt burst was as clean as the first watt on em. sound was spooky, super super clean.

splittailz

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2008, 01:04 am »
congrats on your new purchase Keith.

smerlas

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2008, 12:39 am »
Congrats  :thumb: you will have to let us know how the 804s and the 14BSST work together.  I am in particular interested ........ this could lead to an upgrade. 8)

I have been able to drive the 4BSST to clipping with my 804s.  This could however by a power supply issue.  I have not yet run my dedicated feed for the amp.  I am in the process of switching my house service from overhead to underground.  I am at the point where I am ready to switch over but am going to change out the panel box when the electric company shuts off the power to convert the service.  Once the new panel box is in then it is dedicated line time. 8)

KeithA

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2008, 03:02 am »
Congrats  :thumb: you will have to let us know how the 804s and the 14BSST work together.  I am in particular interested ........ this could lead to an upgrade. 8)

I have been able to drive the 4BSST to clipping with my 804s.  This could however by a power supply issue.  I have not yet run my dedicated feed for the amp.  I am in the process of switching my house service from overhead to underground.  I am at the point where I am ready to switch over but am going to change out the panel box when the electric company shuts off the power to convert the service.  Once the new panel box is in then it is dedicated line time. 8)

Not a problem. However, I have never driven my 6B to clipping in the 6 years that I have had it...and since I got the Torus, a couple of times the woofers have maxed out on their extention and not clipped. I also remember the writings of Andrew Marshall (Audio Ideas Guide) who ran a 3BST & 3BSST and never ran it to clipping on a pair of Energy Veritas 1.8s. If you are running the 4B to clipping into the 804s.....you must be really pushing it :D

But the 14BSST I bought was too good to pass up at the price I paid. I'll let you know my thoughts.

Keith

smerlas

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2008, 03:05 am »
The "problem"  :lol: as I see it is the Bryston / B&W pairing is so clear that it allows for the volume to gradually end up climbing and climbing.  I can almost always tell when it is going to happen ..........the room lights will dim with the beat of the bass drum and the amp leds will flash a little red.  A bump of the volume down a click and leds go all green.  I have never pushed beyond just getting a small flash.  If you were not watching the front of the amp you would never know.

Why I believe dedicated circuit and eventually a RM20 (preferably balanced) will help.  The amp sounds great with no indication that it is reaching its limits.  Corresponding volume level is approximately 2 o-clock.

This happens the more dynamic the music.  Horns, piano all mixed together and the system says open me up. :thumb:

Van Morrison and a recently acquired addition of Mindi Abair ............. man this girl can play some sax! .......... have caused me to discover that the 4BSST / 804s combo can be driven to clipping.

KeithA

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2008, 09:40 am »

Van Morrison and a recently acquired addition of Mindi Abair ............. man this girl can play some sax! .......... have caused me to discover that the 4BSST / 804s combo can be driven to clipping.

I'm not saying the 4BSST cannot be driven to clipping :wink: All I'm saying that at the outside extremes of levels I'd ever listening to music at (which is pretty loud :D), I have never clipped the 6BSST driving the 804s....and even recently there have been occasions where the woofers max out on their extension, on the 804s, before the amplifier would clip.

Keith

KeithA

« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2008, 03:34 am »
OK, I know the guy selling the 14B said it was clean...but this thing is brand new :D There was even two sets of cotton gloves in the box that he used for handling the amp!! It's almost 3 years old and still smells new :thumb:

Keith

splittailz

« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2008, 02:16 am »
very nice Keith. bet it sounds as good as it looks.

KeithA

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2008, 09:13 am »
very nice Keith. bet it sounds as good as it looks.

As the owner of the 28BSSTs......I'm sure you know :wink:

I'm not sure if I am correct, it seems you listen to DVD more than 2 channel audio. I'm sure the 28BSSTs sound great for DVDs....but if you want them to really shine you need to run them in a decent 2 channel set up...now that would be sweet :thumb:

Even with just the few minutes I've had the chance to listen to the 14B and compare it to the 6B, the 14B is just more 'there' in the bass region, fuller, but still very fast. There's an overall improvement over the 6B, we are not talking giant leaps here, in just the overall presentation...especially on the B&W804s.

Very nice