Would 8" Hemp driver be good for DIY OB?

Alwayswantmore

Would 8" Hemp driver be good for DIY OB?
« on: 16 May 2008, 02:56 pm »
Omega recently released an upgrade for their 8" Hemp driver (now Alnico), leaving a number of the older drivers without a home. I'm wondering how well the Omega Hemp driver would perform in a DYI OB.

Background

For about a year, the standard 8" Hemp was used in all Omega's top models. It's made to Omega specifications (I believe by Tone Tubby), and features a whizzer. Omega' box speakers are (full-range) single drivers.

Any thoughts on how these drivers would perform in a DYI OB speaker? I'm thinking either full range, or with an outboard powered sub (either the 10" ACI or Omega Deep Hemp).

What do you think???

Canyoneagle

Re: Would 8" Hemp driver be good for DIY OB?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2008, 03:05 pm »
I will likely be in the same boat (if I buy the alnico drivers for my MaxHemps), so I am curious to hear more on this!!!!

In either case, I hope to begin experimenting with DIY OB's this summer.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2008, 04:36 pm »
If you can get Louis to let you in on some of the specs such as XMAX, FS, and QTS, I think we could give you some good advice.

Depends on how low you want it to go really, most drivers are good for OB for 300Hz and up, it is the 3 specs I listed above that will determine where the helper woofer will have to come in, and what the power handling will be etc.

scorpion

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2008, 05:06 pm »
I think with an 8" unit you should always go for a separate bass-solution. With this in regard the 8" Hemps will be perfect for OB !

/Erling
« Last Edit: 16 May 2008, 07:12 pm by scorpion »

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2008, 05:41 pm »
I have a different 8" hemp driver from hemp acoustics. It's a few years old, and I think is the model Louis originally used in '06, I think. Anyway I would expect yours to be an improvement.
Have used it on OB and it is my favorite midrange - clean, clear, open, makes other drivers seem a little bit fuzzy. But needs some help on high end imo, and definitely bass as it lacks fullness below 200-300 hz.
I think a MJK type 2-way would be great with the drivers you guys have. Since the 8" hemp is more efficient than the Fostex used in his example you would need to either pad the hemp down, find a more efficient bass driver, or use 2 bass drivers.
Don

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2008, 06:02 pm »
If you can get Louis to let you in on some of the specs such as XMAX, FS, and QTS, I think we could give you some good advice.

Depends on how low you want it to go really, most drivers are good for OB for 300Hz and up, it is the 3 specs I listed above that will determine where the helper woofer will have to come in, and what the power handling will be etc.
Thanks, I posted your question in the Omega Circle.

Being a newbie to OB, is it feasible to partner a fast (small) powered sub with OBs that go to 300Hz? Or is that just too high a crossover to get good results?

scorpion

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 07:15 pm »
Sounds like you already have the sub. Just try ! Nothing to loose. Or if I should assume more, just one sub ?, then I think you would be better off by crossover around 100 Hz or lower and try to integrate the two 8" Hemps.

/Erling

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2008, 07:33 pm »
Sounds like you already have the sub. Just try ! Nothing to loose. Or if I should assume more, just one sub ?, then I think you would be better off by crossover around 100 Hz or lower and try to integrate the two 8" Hemps.

/Erling
Already have Compact Hemps and love them. But Louis now offers an Alnico driver as an upgrade (which replaces the traditional Hemp driver). I'm wondering if I could drop the old drivers into a DIY OB just for a change of pace. Store the OBs in the closet and take them out for an intimate night of acoustical music???

P.S. Bear in mind I've never heard a pair of OBs. And I'm not sure if they will have the WAF for everyday use  :scratch:

panomaniac

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2008, 09:37 am »
I run the Hemp Acoustics FR8c on Open Baffle as my "daily driver."  Excuse the pun. :)

Definitely needs a helper woofer.  My rig is OB with a 15" Selenium on the bottom.  Passive crossover.
Mcgsxr is certainly right about the low end cutoff.  Mine starts to roll off under about 400Hz on a medium size baffle - 16"x35" with small side wings.

Crossover is easy. 1st order on the Hemp, 2nd order on the 15.  Reverse polarity. Active bass boost.
Basically just a bass stopper on the Hemp.  At present the values are:
54uF HP = Zobel (Hemp).  Or 47uF without Zobel
32uF + 7.5mH + Zobel on the 15".

Of course you will need to massage these values for your own particular rig.

The Hemp Acoustic FR8C is a nice sounding driver, great tone.  The 6.5 is also very nice.
I've heard the 8" in bass reflex, OB and TL. Always sounds good.  Have not tried the 6.5" in OB, but should work just fine.  The FR8c does takes a dive above about 13K, but so do must drivers like it.

I know you were asking about the Omega, but unfortunately I have not heard it.  The other Hemp drivers are very nice, tho, so the Omegas should be, too.  Have fun!