Floorstanders?

Evan S

Floorstanders?
« on: 14 May 2008, 01:49 am »
Mike, I've been away from the forum and ACI's website in general (apartment living and having to downsize to a 2.0 system will do that to a guy) but I noticed that that ACI website no longer carries floorstanding speakers of any kind.  Any plans in the future to offer another Talisman-type speaker?

Mike Dzurko

Re: Floorstanders?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2008, 01:31 pm »
Hello Evan:

We've been working on a number of projects at the modeling/prototyping stages and these include some floorstanding ideas.  More to come . . .

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2008, 02:28 pm »
Can hardly wait!

NewBuyer

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2008, 06:35 am »
Can hardly wait!

Same here! Very interested in this, Mike. Any thoughts of doing a powered speaker as well? :?:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2008, 04:55 pm »
Can hardly wait!

Same here! Very interested in this, Mike. Any thoughts of doing a powered speaker as well? :?:

I've always enjoyed designing/building and listening to speakers with powered woofer sections.  The Shadow LEs, Talismans, Veritas series and Jag / LFM were all cool.  Yet the market has had a difficult time embracing powered speakers . . .

Not to let the cat out of the bag, but a project we have been spending a lot of quality time on lately is a speaker that requires bi-amplification via an active control box with the end user choosing the amps of their choice.  I see a LOT of potential for greatness in this package . . .

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2008, 10:56 pm »
Mike, having lived with your Talisman SE's for well over a year, I'm perplexed at buyers reticence to purchase powered speakers. The advantages that self powered woofer sections lend the listener are not subtle! The ability to tune a speaker to your room, listening preferences, amp and other equipment changes is one the best things I've experienced in thirty plus years of being interested in hi-fi. I suppose a bi-amped, active controlled speaker will let a listener gain the advantages of the powered speaker while allowing their inner control freak to be in charge of the choice of amp. My question would be; is this the most cost effective method? Digital plate amps are inexpensive and perform well. Are there obvious qualitative improvements in sonics using an outboard amp for the woofers versus what you've been able to get with an onboard plate amp?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 02:26 pm »
Mike, having lived with your Talisman SE's for well over a year, I'm perplexed at buyers reticence to purchase powered speakers. The advantages that self powered woofer sections lend the listener are not subtle! The ability to tune a speaker to your room, listening preferences, amp and other equipment changes is one the best things I've experienced in thirty plus years of being interested in hi-fi. I suppose a bi-amped, active controlled speaker will let a listener gain the advantages of the powered speaker while allowing their inner control freak to be in charge of the choice of amp. My question would be; is this the most cost effective method? Digital plate amps are inexpensive and perform well. Are there obvious qualitative improvements in sonics using an outboard amp for the woofers versus what you've been able to get with an onboard plate amp?

You’ve said it very well, and of course I agree.  Integrated, powered woofer systems can make a LOT of sense. Over the years we have designed and built a number of models with powered woofer sections. Your Talisman SEs are one very fine example.

However, as you mentioned, there IS a certain reticence from consumers as far as purchasing this class of product.  For example, we had the Veritas powered version first, customers flat our asked for a passive version. We then brought out the Essence, which sold in considerably higher numbers.

I want to make an important point about the amplifiers we use. They are flat out superior to virtually all other plate amps. They should be, they cost us a WHOLE lot more.  The amps used in your Talisman SEs are the same platform as used in the Force XL and Titan XL . . .   they are full class AB designs with high quality power supplies based on a torriodal transformer. Put a pair of these amps in a chassis, remove the subwoofer filters and functions and you have a stereo 250 w/channel amp that sells in the $1500-$2000+ range.  The ICE based amp used with our Maestro XL is a separate chassis and it weighs almost 25 pounds! NOT your typical plate amp stuff :)  This has been a rather indirect way to say that qualitatively, we have and can supply amps that are at least equal to most stand alone designs.

The cat I’ve let out of the bag refers to a project that I can’t say a lot about . .  . yet….

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2008, 04:40 pm »
Mike, when I said the plate amp solution was "inexpensive," I meant in contrast with housing the woofer's amp in a separate chassis that requires interconnects or speaker wires as well as space in the equipment rack. Didn't mean to imply anything chintzy about your amp.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2008, 05:33 pm »
Mike, when I said the plate amp solution was "inexpensive," I meant in contrast with housing the woofer's amp in a separate chassis that requires interconnects or speaker wires as well as space in the equipment rack. Didn't mean to imply anything chintzy about your amp.

No worries there, I know as an owner, you know the quality. Just wanted to make the point to others who might not be aware . . .

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2008, 11:44 pm »
I'm interested too, as a potential first time ACI buyer.
Thanks Mike

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2008, 10:35 am »
Years ago I auditioned passive and active versions of the Paradigm Studio20/Active 20.  (The Studio 20 is a typical small mid-fi two-way standmount wihle the Active 20 used very similar drivers in a slightly larger cabinet.)  While the price doubled from $800/pair to $1600, the differences were an epiphany to me.  (One of three epiphanies I've had in nearly 40 years of audio interest.) 

Dynamics were greatly improved, frequency response ruler flat, and the depth/fullness of bass was quite unbelievable.  Passersby were slackjawed.  They thought we were listening to Paradigm's $2000/pair floorstanders with 5 drivers each.  Any concerns regarding the quality of amps or of them being mounted directly to the speaker were instantly swept away as insignificant.  A sub would only be used for HT LFE, not needed for music at all.  You'll find these sorts of comments from almost any professional review of active speakers meant for the home.

But alas, going active makes the high-end too easy, not "hobby" enough, not "elitest" (price/mystery) enough.  Imagine an entire high-end system made up of a Logitech Duet, a pair of small standmounts, and long interconnects.  The geek in us would have to find another pastime.

NewBuyer

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2008, 11:23 pm »
I wish that I had heard those active paradigms JLM. My experience so far with active speakers has been the opposite of yours. However I do note that you specify active speakers "meant for the home". Have you heard other examples than the paradigms, that would fit into this category? I'm curious because I would like to try more active speakers if there are good choices remaining here.

Edit: And I would definitely want to try any active mains speaker from ACI. This is exciting news Mike! :)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2008, 02:29 am by NewBuyer »

griller

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2008, 02:01 pm »
Mike, build it and we will buy  :D