IS this a slimserver/ computer problem or not (trouble shooting ?)

Rob S.

Hi everyone,
     I've been running my SB3 for over a year now and just today,  I have a very loud static noise that comes out of my speakers.   I still have display features and can search my database as usual but when I press the "play" button, all I have is static noise.  Any music selection chosen produces the same sound.

Music comes back w/ the other inputs on my preamp when I use my cd player, so no preamp, amp, cabling problems to blame, correct?

My Bolder Ultimate PS gives the SB3 power, display, so it shouldn't be the problem.  Tried changing IC's leaving the SB3 to the preamp, no change.

What I can't figure out is the display levels on the SB  show the music level meters still bounce to what the music should be doing, though the sound produced is a high level, steady static noise?

Any ideas as to what to do next would be helpful.   Thanks in advance.

Rob S.

DSK

Rob, take the IC's out of the back of the SB3 and use them out the back of the CD player to totally prove/disprove it is the fault of the SB3.

BTW. How are you using a Burson Buffer AND an external DAC? Do you swap between the analog out of the SB and the digital out as mood suits?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I had the exact same thing happen to me tonight!!!!!!  And I use a Transporter.  I run a new Vista PC and swear that it's brighter/harsher than the old dying XP machine I had.  Both were set up with wireless to the TP.  I was playing a wav file (Dianna Krall, Temptation, Girl In The Other Room) and assumed it was some sort of anomaly due to wav traffic and wireless (although I've always run wireless and have many wav files, along with FLAC).  Now I think it's Vista or something.  That hiss and noise was VERY LOUD!

Rob S.

DSK:
I did use the same RSA Poiema IC's to run from the analog outs of SB3 to the Cambridge cdp.  I got sound from them w/ CDp.  I haven't tried the digital out to DAC yet.  I figure that needs to be done.

If I was to have an external HD failure would I get that loud static noise?  If so, then I don't see how I could access the library info on my SB.

I'm still  not sure which I like better:  SB3 -> buffer-> amps.  OR  SB3-> digital out to DAC-> preamp->amp
OR the setup I was running when this problem started which is:  SB3-analog outs-> preamp-> amps   Also I'm running  this SB3 setup in "wired" mode  (no wireless here)
Guess I need to cleanup the equipment list some.

Rob S.

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
Hi everyone,
     I've been running my SB3 for over a year now and just today,  I have a very loud static noise that comes out of my speakers.   I still have display features and can search my database as usual but when I press the "play" button, all I have is static noise.  Any music selection chosen produces the same sound.

Music comes back w/ the other inputs on my preamp when I use my cd player, so no preamp, amp, cabling problems to blame, correct?

My Bolder Ultimate PS gives the SB3 power, display, so it shouldn't be the problem.  Tried changing IC's leaving the SB3 to the preamp, no change.

What I can't figure out is the display levels on the SB  show the music level meters still bounce to what the music should be doing, though the sound produced is a high level, steady static noise?

Any ideas as to what to do next would be helpful.   Thanks in advance.

Rob S.

I had this happen once. I was changing something out in the system, pre-amp I believe. Don't remember the exact sequence of events, but I got the same situation you described. Narrowed it down to the SB power supply, have a cloned Ultiamte v1. Talked with Wayne, and was ready to send it to him for troubleshooting. I had it all unplugged, and decided to check things out one more time. Hooked it back up, and the issue went away. I think it gets a drop in voltage, and the DAC power supply goes flaky if it drops below a certain voltage level. Wayne did explain what he thought was happening, but I cant quite remember it word for word. So completley break down the PS hook up to the SB. And I mean all of it, including the cable. Give it a few minutes, and put it back togehter. Can't gaurentee anything, but hey its worth a shot.

Regards
Mister Pig

Papajin

I've had this problem happen more than once with my SB2.  If you check the slim devices forums (search for "loud white noise") others have reported it, but to my knowledge it's never been fixed.  In my case it happened when I tried to stream internet radio over the SB2, and it also happens on some flac files I have for some unknown reason (they play fine in something like winamp).  The blast of noise in my case was extremely loud, and didn't seem to be changeable with the volume, nor did shutting the SB2 off make it go away.  I had to unplug it.

Double Ugly

Now I think it's Vista or something.

Don't think so.  I've had it happen 3 times in the past week on two different systems (Transporter and a SB2), and I'm running everything through a Mac.

SqueezeCenter 7.0/7.0.1 anyone?  I'm running the latter because it supports my Apple Time Capsule.

I've had this problem happen more than once with my SB2.  If you check the slim devices forums (search for "loud white noise") others have reported it, but to my knowledge it's never been fixed.  In my case it happened when I tried to stream internet radio over the SB2, and it also happens on some flac files I have for some unknown reason (they play fine in something like winamp).  The blast of noise in my case was extremely loud, and didn't seem to be changeable with the volume, nor did shutting the SB2 off make it go away.  I had to unplug it.

I'm can't be sure, but I think this might be a separate issue.  I had the same thing happen to me back when the SB2 was my primary source and an XP computer served as my music DB.  It happened twice, once while accessing streaming radio (enough for me to call it quits, unfortunately) and once while trying to play what was apparently a corrupted file which played fine elsewhere.  A second attempt to play the file via the SB2 resulted in the same very loud white noise, so I deleted it.

My most recent experience seems a little different; it doesn't seem as loud (I'm sure the other was full volume), was corrected by simply turning the machines off (unplugging not required) and the file played perfectly after rebooting SqueezeCenter.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2008, 06:49 am by Double Ugly »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Can you verify 5 volts DC output from the power supply?

Bob

richidoo

It's the dreaded "White noise of death," which worried people on slim forum 2 years ago who wanted to connect their SB3 direct to amps and Sean Adams advised strongly against.  There is no music audible it is just white noise, so I think Ted's issue is something different. It happened to me just once, right after making change to the system, probably without shutting off the SB. Maybe a static spark on reconnecting the outputs while SB is on triggers it. Slim was trying to get their hands on a unit that did it consistently for diagnosis, but I don't think they ever did. You don't hear much about it lately, maybe it was a manufacturing issue in older models.

If yours is doing it all the time, call slim tech support and hedge for a new one. They are amazingly helpful and accomodating.

Rob S.

Richidoo and others,   many thanks.   Problem fixed.....

It appears Richidoo was on to something.  After disconnecting and reconnecting all cabling around the SB3, the problem has gone. 

Now back to the music.

Rob S.

PhilNYC

I have 4 slimdevices units in my house (Transporter, Duet, and 2 Squeezeboxes).  After moving the SC7.0, I have had this problem with one of the Squeezeboxes...it happens to be the one with the weakest wireless signal strength (about 50%) and it also suffered from fairly frequent need to re-buffer (about once every 3-4 minutes).  It generally did the static thing at the start of a song and require that I hit "play" again to get it to stop.

About a month ago, I added more memory to my computer (a G5 eMac) and the problem seemed to go away.  But it still happens once in a while...far less frequently, but it's still a mad dash to the volume control when it does happen (the static is at full volume).  So it seems like this problem is a function of wireless connectivity since my other three slim devices units have never suffered this problem...

ted_b

• Volunteer
Interesting Phil.  My signal strength is 83% but I'm gonna go get a temporary solution (50 ft ethernet cable) and give it a whirl.  I've been wireless this whole time, from day one of Slimserver a year and a half ago, but the new router and Vista PC (4 GB memory) simply must be more error prone.  The firewalls/gateways/pinholes/etc are all the same, though (same AT&T 2Wire router software, etc.).  Not only did I get the WNOD (white noise of death) but I swear that since Sat night my streamed stuff, up to now audiophile quality via Modwright Transporter, whether FLAC or WAV, sounds like 128k MP3's, harsh, two-dimesnional and a loss of air/detail.  I wondered if i had the wrong file format settings on 7.0.1 but they were set the same as the old pc, that is FLAC--> FLAC (other two disabled), WAV -> WAV (other two disabled).  ??

ted_b

• Volunteer
Update:  Well, I decided to go ahead and fish a Cat5E through my wall, etc and now my modwright TP is wired.  WOW!   No comparison, none.  The wireless 83% signal strength must not have been enough for the new router, etc...but whatever it was, it is gone and the system has never sounded so good.  Even back with the old XP pc and older SC's and SS's. 

Understatement alert......wired is WAY better than wireless, IMO.  Not sure what goes on with less-than-perfect wireless reception (error correction?  dropouts?) but the sound quality of wired is clearly better than wireless; more solidity, more depth, a likely placebo-sense of ease, but ease nonetheless.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I think there was a thread awhile ago that compared wired to wireless with the SB...was it Rim or George...I can't remember... :scratch:

I would think wired would be better (if possible)....less problems...a direct line.

Rashiki

I would think wired would be better (if possible)....less problems...a direct line.

I agree 100%. A few years ago, I built my own version of the SqueezeBox out of an embedded system board with an LCD display. I was using it with a wi-fi adapter, but I noticed that the music would stop intermittently when I used my microwave. I eventually put an ethernet switch in my attic and wired the whole house. I still use wi-fi for my laptop, but the wired connection has been far more reliable than wireless. And it's probably gotten a lot worse. There's a lot more interference in the 2.4GHz band now than there used to be. Back in those days, mine was the only wi-fi signal in the neighborhood. Nowdays, I pick up at least six other wi-fi networks from inside my own house. Add in all the 2.4GHz cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwave ovens and you've got a lot of noise around that signal.

Wi-fi is great for casual stuff like web surfing and online shopping, but for mission critical stuff like listening to my tunes, I want the dependability of a wired connection.  :)

-Rob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I think there was a thread awhile ago that compared wired to wireless with the SB...was it Rim or George...I can't remember... :scratch:

It was Rim/woodsyi....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40474.msg361264#msg361264

And.....thanks Rob... :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
Chris,
That thread talks about the classic wired vs wireless issues of dropouts (not subtle, music stops or stutters) etc.  Although I certainly agree that wired makes those basically go away my point or theory is that wired also just sounds better, on music that does not stutter or dropout.  Doesn't make sens though, cuz if there are no dropouts in wireless (i.e you have a good signal strength, etc.) then TCP/IP will bring packets and SB or TP will handle them.  I'm not sure what I was hearing with my new pc/router and wireless setup, but it was harsh, almost 128k MP3-like.  Now it's not.  it's back to being the best digital I've ever heard...maybe better.  :)  My buddy Rob was over last night and claims it sounds better than the old pc setup (the one that sounded great, and didn't have brightness and glitch issues).  Anyway, weird.

mcgsxr

ted_b's making me want to buy my wife an off lease laptop, and move the PC down to the basement, so I can run wired!

STOP ME!   :lol:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Before buying my Red Wine modded SB3, I cruised the SD forums looking for info. I came to the conclusion, very early on, that the wired connection was, by far, the least prone to problems, both sound-wise and connectivity-wise. When I read threads like these it reaffirms my decision. I will NEVER use a wireless connection when there is a wired solution available. When I read about the frustration of people trying to make wireless work it makes me think some kind of masochistic tendency is at work.  :duh:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
ted_b's making me want to buy my wife an off lease laptop, and move the PC down to the basement, so I can run wired!

STOP ME!   :lol:

I am not trying to stop you from buying that laptop but why not just run CAT5/6 to your basement?