Any 95-2000 Tacoma Owners?

MarkM

Any 95-2000 Tacoma Owners?
« on: 12 May 2008, 08:33 pm »
Toyota steps up to the plate.

I was just notified by Toyota that they are buying my 2000 Tacoma back for $19,650 bucks!  I had low miles and the truck was a loaded model.  Toyota has a problem with the frames rusting out prematurely on these model years.  They want them off the road, liability and mid size truck market at stake!

If you have a Tacoma within these model years, I would hurry up to the dealer for an inspection, especially if you live in snow country.

Oh, and you not need be the original owner.

Any others with similar situation?
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008, 08:57 pm by MarkM »

strider

Re: Any 95-2000 Tacoma Owners?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2008, 08:54 pm »
I've got a '99, no problems I've noticed with my frame. So far I have only seen '95 to '97 years with rust through so severe that they've been bought back (I work in a Toyota dealer service center). Nothing like $20k for an 8 year old used truck, though! Just an FYI, grab anything you want off the truck, radio, seats, etc etc. The people that took the first unit for Toyota said they're taking them no matter what the condition. One guy went as far as to take his suspension and wheels off, leaving them to drag the truck onto the rollback!

dave slagle

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2008, 11:38 pm »
I have a 95 i bought a few years back as a beater truck.  I received a notice from toyota that they have extended the "frame warranty" to 15 years but were not clear what that meant.  Maybe it is time to visit the local dealer since frame rust is definitely an issue.

dave

MarkM

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2008, 12:25 am »
That beater might be worth 1.5 times the Kelley blue book value, regardless of the condition, Toyota is rating all vehicles as excellent, and giving full retail value.

I didn't think I had any issues until I crawled under my truck.  What was suppose to be a full box frame was well on its way to be a open C-type frame. :?    The frame doing a Houdini disappearing act, other than that the truck ran awesome and not a hint of rust on the body......got frame?

Not sure I would go with another Tacoma, priced high and the dealers won't wiggle much due to the high demand.   In the North East, Tacoma is #1 in the market.

Nissan Frontier is packaged nicely and even more affordable, plus generous rebates... :wink:

Think one of the Detroit Auto makers would step up to the plate like this? :lol:

slinco

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2008, 06:23 pm »

Not sure I would go with another Tacoma, priced high and the dealers won't wiggle much due to the high demand.   In the North East, Tacoma is #1 in the market.

I had a '95 and traded it 3 years ago on an '05. The new one is very nice to drive and has been completely 100% trouble free, not so much as a rattle after 3 years of use, but I think it's really a shame they made them so much bigger than the old model. It's downright huge in comparison. I've got the most fuel efficient four wheel drive model they offer (4 cylinder, 5 speed, regular cab, no options), and the best I can do on MPG is 22 (around town average driven very gently). Get on the highway and forget about it - no better than low to mid teens at 70 MPH, and at 80 you can literally watch the needle drop on the gas gauge. If you're used to worse I guess 22MPG might sound good, but to me it sucks. I'm really tempted to trade it on a 3 door Yaris with a utility trailer, but living in Syracuse snow country I'd miss the 4 wheel drive.

Right now is when we need a truly small, fuel efficient, well built truck, and nobody's building one.