hiss

jrtrent

hiss
« on: 12 May 2008, 01:58 pm »
(Note:  I was trying to reply to JerryM's fine post below, but my log-on status timed-out while writing it, and I didn't notice after logging back on that my reply turned into a new post.  I was unable to delete this message; so, sorry for the confusion.)

I think what Rustneversleeps was looking for was additional detail regarding the "quick little change" made by Frank to the OmegaStar SL that you mentioned in your first post.  You stated, "He [Frank] explained what he did to take care of the hiss, and a bit about transient detail and the use of negative feedback in the circuits."  If I understood your first post correctly, the part about your wanting to upgrade to the OmegaStar EC, the hiss was taken care of in your SL by permanently wiring in the same filter that is selectable on the EC model.

I enjoyed your story, as, prompted by the beginnings of component failures, my system is also undergoing radical change after being relatively constant since the mid-80's (all-Linn: LP12-upgraded to Cirkus but with Basik power supply in 1993/Ittok/LK1/LK2/Saras).  My sights are set a lot lower than yours, however; this time around, I just want to assemble a simple system of entry-level, American-made products suitable for use in a small apartment and with different music presentation goals than I had previously (richer tonality at low volume levels, better imaging/soundstaging characteristics).  So far, my LK1 preamp has been replaced with an OmegaStar PAT-5 preamp and my Sara loudspeakers have been replaced with Vandersteen 1C's.  I have an OmegaStar 240EX on order to replace the LK2 (still working fine, but I'm really curious to see how the OmegaStar compares).  I haven't decided on a turntable yet, but in keeping with the American theme and desire for bigger, better separated, and more stable spatial characteristics, the entry models from either VPI or Well Tempered Labs might fill the bill.

I'm very impressed with Van Alstine's no-nonsense approach regarding power cords, interconnects, and speaker wire.  Laudable also is the design goal of stability translating into no need for extended warm-up times and better sound under adverse power conditions.  My LK1 needed a modification the distributor said is normally reserved for third-world countries so it wouldn't shut down under reduced line voltage conditions, and the whole system definitely didn't sound its best for the first 1/2 hour or so after turning it on (even with the preamp left on all the time) or during peak electrical usage times.

avahifi

Re: hiss
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2008, 02:14 pm »
Here is an interesting thread from the Stereophile forum describing members experiences listening to an all AVA system driving tri-amped Legacy Whispers using about $30 worth of speaker wires and interconnects.

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=40780&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Scroll down and read it all, interesting stuff.

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2008, 05:11 pm »
It might say something about the state of the hobby that the guy goes over to hear some Legacy Whispers driven by 1000+ watts and is surprised to find them kicking ass.  (There was a time when everybody used "consumer grade" wire, do people think nothing sounded good back then.)  I don't know what his presuppositions about AVA gear were but based on how much positive feedback it gets around audio forums one would at least expect to hear something mighty fine, regardless of how mighty the speakers were.

I've read several times now that the Salk/AVA room sounded the best at AKFest.  How can that be when you can get an entire rig like that for around 10 grand?

Hi Brian  :thumb:

rustneversleeps

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2008, 09:35 pm »
I am still confused about whether the "hiss" was a defect, or "getting rid of the hiss" was a mod for JerryM's Omega Star.

Brett Buck

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2008, 04:24 am »
Here is an interesting thread from the Stereophile forum describing members experiences listening to an all AVA system driving tri-amped Legacy Whispers using about $30 worth of speaker wires and interconnects.

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=40780&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Scroll down and read it all, interesting stuff.

It's certainly a very favorable review. But what strikes me about it is that, it seems, the "reviewers" are talking about $100K systems as "normal" and that AVA is "cheap". AVA stuff is very reasonably priced but cheap it is not. There's NO technical justification for $20000 amplifiers or $40000 speakers. There's nothing that could possibly be put in the box that would cost 1/10th of that nor is there any particular expertise that makes it worth being 50x as expensive. Just goes to show how far off the deep end people go, and how much people are willing to spend to be able to brag to their buddies.

P. T. Barnum was certainly right.

Brett

rustneversleeps

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2008, 02:26 pm »
This topic is about the mysterical "hiss" that's in JerryM's Omegastar, I still want to know if it was a defect, and how did Frank get rid of it? Did he do a one of a kind mod for JerryM's Omegastar or what?

So if you people still want to dwell on the same old topoc about some gear are too expensive and not worth spending your hard earn money on them, please start a new topic.

First of, if you were the CEO of Cisco System, you would find a $10,000 amp is a bargain, $40,000 speakers are cheap.

Brett Buck

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2008, 03:05 pm »

So if you people still want to dwell on the same old topoc about some gear are too expensive and not worth spending your hard earn money on them, please start a new topic.

First of, if you were the CEO of Cisco System, you would find a $10,000 amp is a bargain, $40,000 speakers are cheap.

Uh, I had no idea you were the moderator, I apologize for responding to Frank's post .

And its no, it's not "cheap" if you spend $10,000 on an amp containing $500 worth of parts, no matter how much you make.

Brett

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2008, 03:33 pm »
Both the solid state and vacuum tube preamps we make have the same very low residual noise floor, about 1-2 mV broadband.  However the spectrum is probably different with each type of device and so one may be slightly more obvious in one system than in another.  Obviously the efficiency of the speakers (higher is worse for noise), the room acoustics, the gain of the power amp, and where any peaks or dips in the speaker response curve occur will affect whether any residual noise from the electronics is bothersome or not. What is happy in one system may not be in another, which of course is one reason we offer a 39 day satisfaction guarantee.

We do not use excess feedback to reduce background noise, as this reduces musicality at the same time.

In the case of the preamp in question, all we did is place a simple voltage divider at the output to reduce the output level (and noise floor) at the same time.  This did not change the sonic quality at all, but did require higher level settings from the volume control for the same output, which the client probably mistook for a lessened dynamics.  There should have been no musical difference at all as in both cases the circuits were run well within their ratings.

In any event we are happy we were able to please the customer, we always try our best to do so.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 03:35 pm »
Regarding cost of components, one percent tolerance half watt metal film resistors cost about six cents each in production quantity.  That means if we used 100 of them in a given unit instead of carbon comp resistors (and of course we do), it raises the manufacturing cost about six dollars.  Go figure.

Frank

rustneversleeps

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 11:01 pm »
Thanks Frank for the detail explanation about the noise floor in preamp  , I always welcome the opportunity to learn more about electronics, a dying profession.

PS This will be my last comment for expensive audio equipment. A $10,000 amp and $40,000 speaker are cheap to John Chambers, but too expensive to Brett Buck, and BrianM. You guys can't afford them anyway, but other people can, this is America, so why keep bringing it up? Don't worry about it.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2008, 11:19 pm »
I'm running my OmegaStar through a pair of Paradigm 40v.3's at 91db/meter/watt. This is a nice combo. Much more and you will have incredible dynamic range at the expense of a quiter background. Seek balance.

The OmegaStar is an incredible solid state preamp, don't kid yourself for one minute. Just because someone took a system to extemes, doesn't make the response typical. I will never part with mine.

Wayner  8)

MarkM

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2008, 01:38 am »
Both the solid state and vacuum tube preamps we make have the same very low residual noise floor, about 1-2 mV broadband.  However the spectrum is probably different with each type of device and so one may be slightly more obvious in one system than in another.  Obviously the efficiency of the speakers (higher is worse for noise), the room acoustics, the gain of the power amp, and where any peaks or dips in the speaker response curve occur will affect whether any residual noise from the electronics is bothersome or not. What is happy in one system may not be in another, which of course is one reason we offer a 39 day satisfaction guarantee.

When I would use the remote for the volume control on my T8, you could hear it buzzing through the system.  With my Ultra EC preamp, dead silence.  The T8 is good, the Ultra is remarkable imho when you consider the performance to price factor!

weirdo

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2008, 01:47 am »
Damn straight on the Omega Star pre. It is subtle,quiet, and detailed and because of all that, it is musically warm for a ss unit.  I have had it in combination with the AVA ss power amp and Gallo  speakers now for around three years. I am the nervous, tinkering type, always thinking that some other stuff sounds beter, so I have auditioned a boatload of tube and ss preamps, new and vintage. All between 600.00 and 1500.00. I still have the AVA ss gear. The cream rises to the top in farming, baseball and hi-fi.  

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2008, 12:43 pm »
MarkM, your T8 was likely missing a ground wire from the remote volume control body to chassis ground.  We discovered, after a few units were built and shipped, that we were not getting an adequate ground through the mounting hardware and added the ground wire to fix the issue.

Current T8 units will be quiet.  If you have a T8 or Ultra preamp with remote, look at the volume control carefully.  There should be a black wire connected from a solder lug on the control body back to the ground point on the selector switch.  if that wire is missing, call us (651-330-9871), and we will fix it free.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

MarkM

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2008, 10:57 pm »

Current T8 units will be quiet.  If you have a T8 or Ultra preamp with remote, look at the volume control carefully.  There should be a black wire connected from a solder lug on the control body back to the ground point on the selector switch.  if that wire is missing, call us (651-330-9871), and we will fix it free.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Did this absence of ground wire affect the sound when the volume wasn't being adjusted?
[/quote]

My T8 was an early production model from when you first released it and served me well for 2.5 years. 

I actually just sold it yesterday via Agon, I will let the new owner know about the ground scheme.  Naturally it was replaced with the Ultra 6N1P EC preamp!  aa

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2008, 12:09 pm »
No effect on the musicality.  Without the ground wire, the vol knob was not grounded and touching it dumped a bit of buzz into the system only while you were touching it.  Fixed now, and its a free fix including shipping for anyone having that issue.

Fran k