McAfee Suxs: What are you using with Squeezecenter

Bigfish

McAfee Suxs: What are you using with Squeezecenter
« on: 11 May 2008, 09:57 pm »
I have been having problems this weeking with my XP Computer just getting hung up while playing tunes on my S3.  My solution was to cripple the firewall on McFee which is probably not a good long term solution.  Since it is a resource hog I did not plan to renew the license later this month but it messing with my music server is the last straw.  It has got to go.  What are you guys using for antivirus and spyware protection that is hopefully not interfering with Squeezecenter?

Thanks,

Ken

Folsom

Re: McAfee Suxs: What are you using with Squeezecenter
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2008, 10:41 pm »
AVG free.... My router has a firewall and it is good enough for me. Once in awhile I run Spybot Search and Destroy.

Double Ugly

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2008, 10:54 pm »
I agree with DoS; aside from giving up and buying a Mac, AVG Free is probably about as good as you can expect for $0.

Additionally, Spybot - Search & Destroy worked satisfactorily for many years.  Highly recommended.

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2008, 11:05 pm »
Norton suxs too...  :lol: Talk about resource-hogs...
I gave up on those two many years ago.
I use Zonealarm for firewall, AVG for antivirus/spyware. I also got Scotty the watchdog on patrol(WinPatrol) in case anything  'evil' slips through. And likewise run Spybot S&D plus Adaware periodically to clean out cookies and malware that accumulate as one browse the internets... been ages since I had any problems from online 'evildoers'.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2008, 12:07 am »
I don't have a SB, but I'm using AVG on the music machine and it works fine...

kyrill

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 09:33 am »
i use Kaspersky and no problem at all, also connecting to games on line, no problem

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2008, 11:57 am »
AVG free.... My router has a firewall and it is good enough for me. Once in awhile I run Spybot Search and Destroy.

Hi guys,

I have a queston.  I download all those freebies, AVG, ZoneArm, Spybot too, from PC World's site.  That has made me wonder - If I have all those freebies, do I still need to BUY a Norton Antivirus.......?  Bottom line - say the BEST freebie from PCWorld vs. the commercial, say Norton, would Norton still has an edge, in a general sense?  Will the freebies protect me adequately, thus saving a few bucks.

I don't seem to have come across such recommendations when I read articles on these freebies.  Protecting your PC is so critical these days.  Would like to know if we truly need those commercial ones, Norton, McAfee.....?

Any comments/advice?  Thanks. :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2008, 12:47 pm »
Trend Micro works fine, too.  Kaspersky is nice and if i didn't have TM I'd go that route.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2008, 01:39 pm »
Would like to know if we truly need those commercial ones, Norton, McAfee.....?

Only if you want a resource-hogging program that's impossible to remove short of a reformat ;)

Double Ugly

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2008, 02:23 pm »
I don't seem to have come across such recommendations when I read articles on these freebies.  Protecting your PC is so critical these days.  Would like to know if we truly need those commercial ones, Norton, McAfee.....?

No, you don't need "commercial" ones, and as JimJ said, Norton is a notorious resource hog.  It's better than McAfee (big deal :roll:), and though I didn't have to go quite so far as to reformat to rid myself of it, AVG Free makes it unnecessary IF you employ sound security practices.

You may find this list of programs and descriptions helpful.  I used ESET NOD32 before switching to Mac, and I couldn't have been more pleased with its performance.  If you spend a lot of time surfing, and if you're relatively comfortable with computers (or willing to spend a little time learning), NOD32 is an outstanding program IMHO.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2008, 02:49 pm »
I'll second the Nod32 suggestion, my computer is quicker after removing all Norton products, and as you found out, McAfee still has conflicts with other programs. Though I don't use the squeezecenter, I use my computer for music using Foobar2000 (usb output), and video using VideoLan, Zoom Player, and the ATI Catalyst Media Center with no conflicts at all.

Scot Finnie has been writing about computers for forever, he spent a year and a half testing firewalls and anti-virus programs and you can read the results on his blog.

Scot's pick:
Anti-virus: Nod32.
Firewall: Online Armor, which is free but you may want to pay for the extra features.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2008, 05:06 pm »
McAfee also played Hell with my SlimServer. It wouldn't let me view artist with names past the letter "Q".  :scratch: :dunno:
An uninstall of McAfee fixed the problem.

I now use AVG and AD-Aware which are both free and seem to have done a great job so far.

Bob

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2008, 01:14 am »
Ken,

I'm using a hardware firewall, so don't run any firewall software, and for antivirus, I totally agree with JIm D.U. -- NOD32 is an amazing program, takes up almost no memory and processer overhead and is rock solid.  Worth every penny of it's price.

-- Jim