A couple of questions for GK-1 owners

Brad

A couple of questions for GK-1 owners
« on: 10 May 2008, 02:42 am »
1 - has anyone used the GK-1 in front of a relatively low powered (3-4wpc) tube amp? :scratch:

2 - What preamps have you compared your GK-1 to - and what did you prefer about each
 (or)  what preamp did your GK-1 replace? :wink:

thanks

Cheers All

AKSA

Re: A couple of questions for GK-1 owners
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2008, 04:49 am »
Hi Brad,

All damn good questions - hope someone here can answer them!!

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2008, 11:33 pm »
1 - has anyone used the GK-1 in front of a relatively low powered (3-4wpc) tube amp? :scratch:

2 - What preamps have you compared your GK-1 to - and what did you prefer about each
 (or)  what preamp did your GK-1 replace? :wink:

thanks

Cheers All

Hi Brad,
I'll step up first here.
#1. No answer. 
I would, however, tend to think that mini watt amp lovers would not really be looking at a GK-1 with its SS gain stage, even though there are a couple tubes in the output.  But then again, maybe someone has actually done this.

#2. Compare/Prior to GK-1
I've never directly compared my GK-1 to any other preamp.  However, prior to the GK-1 I had a BAT VK30SE in one system.  I made up a little passive, attenuator and source switch, unit with the intention of using the attenuators in my GK-1.  BTW, the 2 preamps were 10,000 miles apart so it wasn't as if everything was in one space.  The passive unit showed up an big fault of the BAT unit, IMO.  And that is a highish noise floor that covers up low level detail.  This is very noticeable in an A/B comparison.
I later installed the attenuators in my GK-1.  The GK-1 had a low noise floor that did not cover up low level detail like the BAT unit.
Thus the comparison would be BAT to passive to GK-1.

BAT is now up to the VK-32 in the mid level units.  I have no idea if the noise floor has been lowered in the newer designs or not.

With my customed modifications to my GK-1 I have no desire to look into other active preamp units in the future.  I think it's a pretty good unit that could likely stand up well in comparisons to other preamps on the market.  But hard to really know without direct comparisons.

Steve

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2008, 06:46 am »
Hi Brad,

Can’t help with your first question as I have a full SS system with the exception of the GK1.   However, I did have an Arcam C31 at home for a one week side by side trial alongside a borrowed GK1 Swift before I decided on the GK1.

Initial impressions were that the C31 was extremely detailed and precise, quite crystalline and with a very low noise floor.  The GK1 seemed a little less so but meatier.  First impressions slightly favoured the Arcam.  However, the more often I swapped between them, the more I felt that the GK1 was especially involving and musical whereas the C31 was a more classic, slightly thinner though very accurate SS sound.  It was certainly neutral but was somehow less rich than the GK1 valves which gave a real life and presence.  The revelation came when I realised that the GK1 did have the same detail but I wasn’t finding myself listening for it or hearing it as a separate quality as I tended to do with the SS pre, it was just that the detail was there as an intrinsic part of the performance that made it sound so realistic and spatial.

The soundstage in the C31 was extremely wide but whilst a bit narrower, the GK1 had more depth and height which also added to the realism for me.  Instrument separation was excellent for both but more 3D with the GK1.  Brass had a realistic bite, the strings and piano superb and the instruments at the back of the orchestra really seemed at the back with the GK1 rather than up front but fainter.  I know the GK1 can be improved by tweaking but it is just so ‘right’ as it comes that I have never had any regret re my choice even though the Arcam was very, very good as well. :D

« Last Edit: 11 May 2008, 06:59 am by LM »

rabbitz

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2008, 12:00 pm »
I remember a conversation with a guy who had a PrimaLuna 4 (around 32W I think) and said the GK-1 sounded the best with it using the tube section only without the SS section.

I think it's a try and see plus all depends on partnering equipment.  The result would be very different using floorstanders or stand mounted speakers.

kyrill

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 03:29 pm »
Hi Brad

I suppose yr amp is very transparent

There are many unofficial version of the GK-1 by now from official to the newest "versions"with replaced C4 and C7

I had,  still have the VTL preamp and the Electrocompaniet preamp (SS) very clear sounding very fast, but looses to the GK1 tube relaxed sound In fact all natural sounds, sound so ehh relaxed.
The VTL (Manley)  tube "Ultimate preamp" The GK-1 sounds more precise, more focussed than the Ultimate, but the GK-1 need a good tube, not the standard tube. I use now a NOS Telefunken

I still feel the GK-1  is not the last word on see through transparency if i compare it to to the "best" ( handful) power amps without a preamp. I have therefore high hopes on the C4 and the C7 mods. I really judge that to be the final mod next to film caps in the right places, the GK-1 need.
But i am very very picky
hear too easy the diff between IC and PC chords and cannot listen at all to standard power ( here in Holland) that comes out of the wall. I need clean power. No magic in the sound? I am not interested
I would urge everyone serious to music listening try out the "Felix" line conditioner. for less than 25 $ for 3A AC you upgrade sound wise for more than 1(0)000 $ in sound value...

FELIX:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50284.20
« Last Edit: 13 May 2008, 12:16 am by kyrill »

markus46

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2008, 09:43 pm »
Hi Krill,

Can you provide any links for this Felix line conditioner?

Thanks!
Mark

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2008, 10:25 pm »
Thanks to all for their replies.

Since my main digital source is a modded Squeezebox (0.6v output), with some music that was recorded at a low level, I don't have quite enough gain.
So I am looking for something that is fairly transparent (and provides source switching)
The phono stage is a nice bonus.

I've been interested in Hugh's products for quite a while and I think the GK-1 would be a good project for me later this year.

gerado

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2008, 01:15 am »
Hi Brad,

1. Used the GK1, tube out with a DIY Loftin White 2A3 SET and high efficiency speakers(PAudio 15 inch coaxials). Not with standing the harshness of these speakers , the result was excelelnt, especially extreme detail and on your lap imaging.

2. Compared the GK to my AR LS2 line stage. Not as aggressive as the LS2 and much more musical. Also compared it side by side to Audible Illusions Modulus pre amp - each amp here did some things better but I thought the GK did more things better than the AI. When I factored in the cost differential I just could not ignore it and ended up here!

Theo

ginger

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2008, 04:26 am »
Brad,
I haven't been around here much of late - been off lurking amoungst the tube gurus.

I've used my GK-1 in front of a heap of valve amps. It is currently driving these:
See picture post #421, #422
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72536&perpage=25&pagenumber=17

Schematic at post #431, Post #432 is by Hugh with some kind comments.

These amps are 10W per channel but I've used the GK-1 to drive valve amps between 6 and 140 watts per channel, mostly push pull but a couple of single ended triode amps as well.

Note: I post as Gingertube when lurking with the tube boys and gals.

A couple of the tube amps had low sensitivity and I changed the feedback resistor in the GK-1 SS front end to double its gain and provide more output drive.

My GK-1 replaced an ancient Marantz 3200.

The amps in the pictures are so good that they really highlight inadequacies in my sources AND show up the incredible differences between Vinyl and CD. Since finishing those amps I have spent a heap of time listening to the old vinyl collection. The GK-1 phono stage (with the mod I posted here yonks back) performs beautifully. I have a A$2K Phono Preamp from another vendor - I simply don't use it, the GK-1 Phono section is as good. 

Cheers,
Ian