New kit, Neo-2X

griddall

Re: New kit, Neo-2X
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2008, 02:34 am »
I was concidering to build three A/V-3S  for my system (need to fit in my entertainment cabinet - WAF).  I use my system for about 60% HT and 40% Music but I want to focus on good music reproduction foremost, and the HT performance will be secondary.  Having now read this thread, I am considering the Neo-2X for L/R, but I am wondering if the A/V-3S would be a good Center channel match for these (I need a traditional horizontal Center channel for my setup)? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2008, 03:39 pm »
I will actually be re-designing a version of the A/V-3S and A/V-3 using this new deep back cup Neo 3 pdr.

So having matching fronts will be no problem.

Loftprojection

« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2008, 01:45 am »
I will actually be re-designing a version of the A/V-3S and A/V-3 using this new deep back cup Neo 3 pdr.

So having matching fronts will be no problem.

I think I'm starting to hate you Dannie!  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:  I thought I would only need a pair for a nice little secondary system but no, he's now designing a center so I probably wont be able to resist and end up changing my whole A/V kit for these new babies!   :green:

KS

« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2008, 04:56 pm »
Can one get good results using a subwoofer as a stand for a monitor, maybe decoupling them with something like Herbie's Fat Dots?

What is the vertical dispersion of the Neo 3 tweeter?...How important is it for this tweeter to be at the ear level of the listener?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2008, 05:35 pm »
KS,

The vertical off axis of the Neo3 is quite good, so less than optimal tweeter height is not as critical as with some other tweeters.

Danny posted all the measurements (including vertical off axis) on page 1 of this thread.

Cheers

griddall

« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2008, 04:55 pm »
Thanks Danny.  3 Questions for you:
1. When do you think the new design of the A/V-3S using the Neo 3 pdr will be available?  I have 1 week in early August I was going to dedicate to building these badboys.
2. Will the Box design for the A/V-3S be the same as the crrent design (In case I get a chance to start building them earlier)? 
3. The price you quoted earlier in this thread ($329), is that per speaker or for a pair?

griddall

« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2008, 06:30 pm »
To be clear, I do realize the $329 was for the Neo-2X (not the A/V-3S).  I was meaning to ask about the Neo-2X kit.  I realized after that the question I posed sounded like I thought the price quoted was for the A/V-3S.  :duh:

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jun 2008, 04:59 pm »

1. When do you think the new design of the A/V-3S using the Neo 3 pdr will be available?

Honestly, it may be a couple of months before it is available. I have to actually build out a new set of test boxes that is really going to hold it up. I drew up the cabinet plans a long time ago.

2. Will the Box design for the A/V-3S be the same as the crrent design (In case I get a chance to start building them earlier)? 

If you want to get started on them I can send the plans right over to you. They are basically like the A/V-3 plans but the woofers are spaced apart a little further to accommodate the larger diameter tweeter and the over all height is increased slightly as well.

3. The price you quoted earlier in this thread ($329), is that per speaker or for a pair?

That price was for a pair.

goatwuss

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jun 2008, 06:17 am »
Hi Danny,

Is it possible to buy an already-built pair of Neo-2x speakers?  I'm not really much of a DIY guy...

Thanks
Goatwuss

FYI - I have a pair of AV123 LS6 coming this month, very excited about that

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jun 2008, 09:41 pm »
Is it possible to buy an already-built pair of Neo-2x speakers?  I'm not really much of a DIY guy...

Not at the moment.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #30 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:02 pm »
Goatwuss, per your e-mail, I just sent you a quote for assembly and estimated shipping costs.

goatwuss

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:31 pm »
Hi Hank,

Got the email thanks, and I've replied.  To sum up, I am very interested in having you do a pair for me, but I will wait until the AV123 LS6 arrives before adding another pair of speakers to the mix.

The design on these Neo 2x looks too good to pass up.  I have been looking for a reasonably priced, highly performing sealed box monitor for years.  I had the Paradox 1s, so I know how good Danny's designs are (which is also why I did not hesitate to pre-order ls6.)

Should be interesting seeing how the LS6 will perform in a 13 x 15 room, open right wall, speakers on the long wall.  I've got up to 3' I can pull the speakers out, but then that gets somewhat nearfieldish taking the cabinet depth into place.  Seating is on the wall.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2008, 06:45 pm »
DANNY, HOW MUCH EXTRA WOULD IT COST TO ADD PLATINUM BYPASS CAPS TO THE NEO-2X?

"The Neo-2X uses the M-165X woofer and new deep back cup Neo3pdr. The basic kit for the M-165X with Neo3pdr with deep back cup will be $329.

This uses Alpha Core foil inductors, Lynk resistors, Erse poly caps, and Sonicap Gen.2 by-pass cap in the tweeter circuit. This also uses the GR Research standard binding post cups. It does not include a port as it can be used in a sealed .5 cubic foot box.

Upgrade options are as follows:

All Sonicaps throughout and Mills resistors, add $110.

Sonicaps and Mills resistors in the tweeter circuit only, plus a by-pass cap for the woofer circuit, add $75.

Vampire wire binding post (BP1.5 Hex) add $31.50 See more info on those here: http://vampirewire.com/pc-48-16-binding-postbrbp15hex.aspx  If you use the PE cabinets these drop right into the pre-drilled holes by making the holes that are already in the back of the box just a little bit larger. Chasing through them with a slightly larger drill bit is pretty easy.

JPS Labs internal wire, add $42. (14 feet, used in sealed mini-monitor) More info here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53822.0

A taller floor standing version can be built using the 2" PSP port or a slotted port to give you a -3db of 40Hz. A pair of 2" flared ports from PSP, add $20. http://www.psp-inc.com/

1 sheet of No Rez add $38. This will cover a pair of small cabinets. 2 sheets are needed for the floor standing version. "

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2008, 07:32 pm »
If it were me 'd use a .1uF value Platinum. I kind of favor those as by-passes in speaker applications. They are $29 each. You'd need four of them for the tweeter circuit. That is where they would do the most good.

There are two caps in the tweeter circuit. So you would need four total.

You could use a .01uF Platinum and still get a lot of improvement too. They are only $17.80 each.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jun 2008, 09:31 pm »
how many .1 MF platinums would i need for the low pass section?

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jun 2008, 09:54 pm »
There is a single cap there in each woofer circuit. If you want to go all out and by-pass it too then you'd need two more.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jun 2008, 10:05 pm »
THANKS DANNY!

KS

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2008, 12:29 am »
Some questions about upgrades...how much benefit from each one, and how much bang for the buck?

--All Sonicaps & Mills resistors?

--Sonicaps & Mills in the tweeters and bypass on the woofers?

--Vampire binding posts vs. gold plated brass posts?

--JPS wire vs. your standard wire vs. mil-spec silver plated copper w/teflon?

videocrew

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2008, 02:57 pm »
Danny,

I have a suggestion that could make this INCREDIBLY easy to assemble for even the most un-handy of us. Since the kit can easily be built with the Parts Express enclosures, what if you purchased them at your wholesale price, cut the baffles, and then sold the enclosure with the kit. You could probably do it for a slight premium over buying the enclosure retail.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to keep a stock of enclosures, it would be great if you offered a service where people could send you their baffle and receive a pre-cut baffle in return. Kind of like a core exchange for rebuilt car parts. That way you can cut them as they come in, and get them back out quicker.

If Danny doesn't have the time, any of the cabinet makers out there would do well to offer a baffle-cutting service (ship the baffle, route the holes, ship it back). I bet a lot of people would pay $20+shipping or more for what would amount to 10 minutes of work for a professional.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 24 Jun 2008, 03:31 pm »
That sounds like a great idea to me!  :thumb:  I am not very good with woodworking.