New kit, Neo-2X

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
Re: New kit, Neo-2X
« Reply #160 on: 5 Aug 2008, 04:15 am »
So, I learn well by example. And I could use some photos of other neo-2x crossovers. I'm looking for positioning of the parts. also How "long" should the wires be? That is, how far should you be able to pull out the seakers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #161 on: 5 Aug 2008, 07:27 pm »
Just make the wires long enough to reach the drivers if you set them on the front baffle.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #162 on: 7 Aug 2008, 05:43 pm »
I'll send or post in my gallery my assembly photos, including a crossover photo.

Here are a couple of assembly photos, including a shot of the crossover:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1529
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2008, 03:29 am by Hank »

trianglezerius

« Reply #163 on: 10 Aug 2008, 12:25 am »
I currently have a pair on loan for demonstration and comparison against my Triangle Comete's. The first thing I noticed with the Neo-2X is how much bigger they sound, more dynamic, then my current speaker. Other things I've noticed was how much deeper the soundstage was, almost as if you can close your eyes and walk into it. The treble was more natural and real compared to my current speaker. They also played quite a bit  deeper allowing for better integration with my sub (MJ Acoustics MKII). The midrange had considerably more information on all the recordings I threw at it. The main thing I noticed compared to my Comete's was it made my electronics sound a lot better, more high-end. Where my speakers had faults that led me to believe it was the electronics. Over all the speakers gave me a taste of high-end and the taste is sticking. I had several buddies over to listen and give me their opinion's and the consensus was this is a great speaker for the money. So Danny has made me a believer and soon will have another sale (as soon as I get the money together).

My System:
Jolida 302B Modified by HRAM
JAS Musik 1.2 CDP
Triangle Comete's
MJ Acoustics 100MKII
Dodd BPT (For my Jolida)
MIT Z-Stabilizer HG MKIII  (CDP and Sub are both plugged into it)
MIT Z-cord II (Z-Stabilizer)
JAS Power cord (Sub)
Acoustic Zen Tsunami and El Nino power cords (AMP and CDP)
Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cable
Acoustic Zen WOW IC
Room 14x16

Thanks Danny for another great product!

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #164 on: 10 Aug 2008, 01:11 am »
VERY encouraging!!! The triangles are always a favorite of mine- they are a PITA to actually get them sounding good and millimeters in change of placing can make them sound terrible but when the synergy is going and they are placed properly- very good speakers. I use Zerius now and many others have come and gone in the last 10 years but they stay around- at least till my COB7s come in, But the neo 2x could be the ticket for just about everybody

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #165 on: 12 Aug 2008, 12:51 pm »
I just got some nice looking flat cut Anegre & Brazilian Cherry wood veneer in if anyone is interested in some cabinets for the Neo-2X kit.    Thanks, Fritz

trianglezerius

« Reply #166 on: 12 Aug 2008, 05:23 pm »
Nice looking speaker Fritz. How much do those cabinets run? And how do they compare sonically to the PE boxes?

Hank

« Reply #167 on: 12 Aug 2008, 05:39 pm »
Nice, Fritz.  My favorite 3-D look grain veneers are Anigre, Makore and Sapele.  Anegre is a tad pricey and pomelle Sapele cost is outta site  :o

ebag4

2.5 alignment possible?
« Reply #168 on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:08 pm »
Just thinking out loud (or out written).  If one were to want to make a TMM using the NEO2X and an additional M-165X and put it in a 1 to 1.2 cuft sealed enclosure, would it be as simple as adding baffle step compensation circuit between the first woofer and the second woofer?  Would this allow for deeper bass output or simply greater power handling and less distortion.  Another (and more likely) possibility is that this idea is completely whack since I know nothing of crossover design.

Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #169 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:15 pm »
Using two of the M-165X woofers in parallel would result in a minimum DCR in the 2.8 ohm range, so I wouldn't recommend it.

One could run them in series or in series with a series network between them that will allow only the top woofer to cross to the tweeter. This would not give you higher sensitivity or deeper bass. It would give you lower distortion in the lower ranges.

Without the series network between the two woofers the acoustics centers get too far apart.

Now a pair of M-130/16's in parallel in an MTM arrangement with the woofers loaded in a transmission line and I think you'll really have something.

ebag4

« Reply #170 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:23 pm »
Now a pair of M-130/16's in parallel in an MTM arrangement with the woofers loaded in a transmission line and I think you'll really have something.

That sounds like a great idea, it could be called, lets see, an A/V-3 perhaps!  :wink:

Thanks for the response Danny.

Ed

Hank

« Reply #171 on: 23 Aug 2008, 03:11 pm »
it could be called, lets see, an A/V-3 perhaps! 
Now Ed, that's an idea to pursue!  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #172 on: 28 Aug 2008, 07:04 pm »
This kit is now available for purchase on line from our web site:

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

griddall

« Reply #173 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:45 pm »
Hi Danny, any update on this A/V-3S redesign with the Neo 3 pdr?

I will get to it as soon as I can. I have just not had time to get to it.

I might work something out with someone if they send me one that I can use as a test box for designing the crossover with.

Right now it is hitting 105 degrees outside and it doesn't motivate me too much to get out there in the un-air conditioned work area and start cutting wood.

Hi Danny.  Not to beat a dead horse, but do you see the A/V-3S redesign with the Neo 3 pdr being available soon?  I sold my old center channel and have already built the box for this.  It is just waiting for the guts.  As we discussed, since I am in Canada it is not really cost effective for me to ship my box to you for x-over design.  This is going to complement the Neo-2X and sub I built from your kits (which both sound incredible by the way).  Any update would be appreciated.

Trafford

« Reply #174 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:19 pm »
Danny,

How does the Neo2X compare to a Ninja Ref 1? I'm sure the Neo2X out performs a standard Ref 1 but I was not sure how it might compare to the Ninja upgrade. I am very interested in bass response and off axis response.

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #175 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:57 pm »
Hi Danny.  Not to beat a dead horse, but do you see the A/V-3S redesign with the Neo 3 pdr being available soon?

Yes, very soon. I have a guy building me a set of cabinets for it right now.

How does the Neo2X compare to a Ninja Ref 1? I'm sure the Neo2X out performs a standard Ref 1 but I was not sure how it might compare to the Ninja upgrade. I am very interested in bass response and off axis response.

The new Ninja-fied Ref-1 is really good, but it is not quite to the Neo-2X level for several reasons.

The Neo-2X has advantages of higher quality, lower distortion drivers. It uses a lower crossover point and has better off axis responses in the vertical and horizontal. If you build the Neo-2X into a small ported floor standing speaker then it will play down to a -3db of 40Hz if you are looking for low bass extension.

joeriz

« Reply #176 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:19 pm »
If you build the Neo-2X into a small ported floor standing speaker then it will play down to a -3db of 40Hz if you are looking for low bass extension.

Danny,

Are there plans anywhere for the floor-standing version?  What would the efficiency be?  Would it be possible to front-port it?  And, last but not least, what about the possibility of building the floor-stander as a transmission line design?

Sorry for the rapid-fire questions.

Joe

Danny Richie

« Reply #177 on: 18 Sep 2008, 03:44 pm »
Are there plans anywhere for the floor-standing version?

Plans for a floor standing box have been made by Hank and he built a floor standing version using this woofer and a different tweeter.

Would it be possible to front-port it?

Sure, it can be front or rear ported.

And, last but not least, what about the possibility of building the floor-stander as a transmission line design?

It could be done. It could be really good too.

joeriz

« Reply #178 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:07 pm »
It could be done. It could be really good too.

Any hints  :drool:  for those of us that can't design speaker encolsures?  I've been thinking about the possibility of the new A/V-3 with the ribbon tweeter but it's just too tall for my room.  I'm assuming that a floor-standing Neo-2x would be somewhere around 40" high or less.

Thanks,
Joe

Danny Richie

« Reply #179 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:34 pm »
Any hints    for those of us that can't design speaker encolsures?

Hank sent the plans in a CAD format. I can forward them to you via e-mail if you like.

I've been thinking about the possibility of the new A/V-3 with the ribbon tweeter but it's just too tall for my room.

Wow, how low is your ceiling?  :wink:

I'm assuming that a floor-standing Neo-2x would be somewhere around 40" high or less.

The Neo-A/V-3 is only 41.875" tall and it is narrower than the floor standing Neo-2X by 1/2".