New kit, Neo-2X

Trafford

Re: New kit, Neo-2X
« Reply #140 on: 25 Jul 2008, 09:23 pm »
I was just about to pull the trigger on the Kepler when I saw the Neo-2X. I love my Rockets for HT and was definitely interested in Danny's designs from the praise heaped on his talents over at the AV123 forum and from what I heard from his handywork when I was at the RMAF last fall.

I hope to do a ported design so I can get some of the necessary slam for those occasions when I do rock out and to provide that necessary foundation for the blues that I like so much. The woodwork doesn't scare me much on the cabinets but the veneer has me petrified. If the boss doesn't like the appearance of these speakers, they will never leave the basement. She is looking for something in a maple finish to match the floors in the livingroom. I think bird's eye maple would be awesome, if I don't screw it up. Of course, there is always the more expense option of contracting the services of some of the folks on this forum.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #141 on: 27 Jul 2008, 11:35 pm »
I assume these are spot on to Dannys internal volume? If so that would be better than the smallish though stylish PE enclosures

Yes, the PE curved side cabinets do look "stylish", but for Danny's mid-woof, don't use them.  The PE .5 ft^3 straight side cabinets are fine (if you don't want custom cabinets).

Lookin' good, Fritz.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #142 on: 27 Jul 2008, 11:40 pm »
So Hank you dont suggest the curved PE's?

Danny Richie

« Reply #143 on: 28 Jul 2008, 01:01 am »
I'd say that the stylish curve sides cabinets will work but are not optimal. Half a cubic foot is optimal. So the PE cabinets with the straight cut sides is ideal for a sealed version. I really don't think the slightly smaller enclosure is hurting them too much, especially if you use a sub. I'll leave it to my customers.

If you want more extension out of them then a small ported floor standing version with 1 cubic foot of air space is ideal.

Hank

« Reply #144 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:50 am »
pbrstreetgang wrote:
So Hank you dont suggest the curved PE's?

Danny's driver needs .5 ft^3 and he measured the PE curved side cabs as quite a bit less than that.  PE was apparently convinced, as Danny says they have made a design change to up the volume (making them deeper, I believe Danny said).  The PE rectangular cabs are very close to .5 ft^3.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 04:49 pm by Hank »

emac

« Reply #145 on: 28 Jul 2008, 01:51 pm »
Hey Trafford,

Everyone calls me Lou...okay, not everyone, but most do.   I live just off of I79, Exit 48.  Where are you located?

Please PM me your email address and telephone and I will contact you when I hold my mini GTG.  September is not looking good and Ed is waiting for a new tweeter for his 1.5's.  I'm going to shot for mid-October.  Ed, how does that work for you?

As far as Cabinets go, I think you will see how striking the PE cabinets are once you view them up close and personal.  I have seen them used on other DIY projects and was always impressed in the quality.

Peace and later,
Lou

My new tweeter will be here tomorrow.  Had it shipped via 2 day mail since I'm patient like that.  Thankfully, the tweeter doesn't take very long to break in, and everything else is already burnt in.  It's not the planar one used in the Mini's that really does take 80+ hrs to fully burn in. 

If we're looking at October, then how about something other than the first weekend or so, which is anniversary time and instant death for me if I chose to go traveling.  August is still pretty open for me though. 

Hank

« Reply #146 on: 29 Jul 2008, 02:35 am »
The tower cabinets I designed for Al's RAV-6 speakers should be good for Danny's optimim low extension Neo-2X.
I got a program to convert .dwg files to .jpg, so I'll try to post.

Optichammer

« Reply #147 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:41 am »
I was just about to pull the trigger on the Kepler when I saw the Neo-2X. I love my Rockets for HT and was definitely interested in Danny's designs from the praise heaped on his talents over at the AV123 forum and from what I heard from his handywork when I was at the RMAF last fall.

I hope to do a ported design so I can get some of the necessary slam for those occasions when I do rock out and to provide that necessary foundation for the blues that I like so much. The woodwork doesn't scare me much on the cabinets but the veneer has me petrified. If the boss doesn't like the appearance of these speakers, they will never leave the basement. She is looking for something in a maple finish to match the floors in the livingroom. I think bird's eye maple would be awesome, if I don't screw it up. Of course, there is always the more expense option of contracting the services of some of the folks on this forum.

Your veneer issue:  Take it 1 side at a time, you can do this. I will help you. She will be happy! :D PM me and I'll walk you through it.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #148 on: 29 Jul 2008, 10:43 pm »
Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on the tweeter.  Yeah, the first two weekends in October are out for me too...our wedding anniversery is the 7th.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Lou

emac

« Reply #149 on: 29 Jul 2008, 11:37 pm »
Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on the tweeter.  Yeah, the first two weekends in October are out for me too...our wedding anniversery is the 7th.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Lou

Yep, can't upset the missuses by being away from them on the anniversary.   :nono:  Not if we like buying new stereo equipment.   :wink:

Replacement Vifa arrived today.  That did the trick.  What the hell is up with me and tweeters?  At least with the busted tweeter with the Mini's I could tell you that a faulty amp was the most likely culprit.  I have no clue w/ the Vifas.   :scratch:

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Neo-2X's in the house
« Reply #150 on: 1 Aug 2008, 07:51 pm »
They arrived unharmed at 6:15 pm Wednesday.  :)

I have had them burning in ever since.

I will provide you with my detailed thoughts after they cook for a little over 100 hours.

It should be Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

I will tell you this much, the cabinets are very nice.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #151 on: 1 Aug 2008, 08:29 pm »
Those look great!!

This is for Hank, do you have plans to build a floorstander version of the Neo 2x? Also wondering if you have a set of the monitors at home. PM me if you do I would like to invite you to my place or vice versa- How you like that Hank, sorry for sneaking that in  :lol: :wink: Take care

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #152 on: 1 Aug 2008, 09:06 pm »
Those look great!!

This is for Hank, do you have plans to build a floorstander version of the Neo 2x?

Starting this weekend (hoping my speaker parts arrive today) (Danny?) I'll actually be building Hanks Floor standing Rav6 Converted to Neo-2Xs. I'm basically using the plans that Hank posted. and then slapped the speaker spacing from Danny's Neo-2X plans (the tweeter center is a little higher and the woofer is a little lower). I'm also moving the port to the front. Stay tuned to see how they come out.

Fred

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #153 on: 1 Aug 2008, 09:33 pm »
Very nice Fred and good call on the front firing

ebag4

« Reply #154 on: 1 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm »
Can anyone tell me how long the 2" port should be for the ported version?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #155 on: 1 Aug 2008, 10:52 pm »
For a 1 cubic foot box a 2" port 3.5" long looks good.

For a 1.2 cubic foot box (yes, you can make it that big) a 2" port 3" long looks good.

ebag4

« Reply #156 on: 1 Aug 2008, 10:53 pm »
Thanks Danny.

Ed

Hank

« Reply #157 on: 2 Aug 2008, 03:12 pm »
David wrote:
This is for Hank, do you have plans to build a floorstander version of the Neo 2x? Also wondering if you have a set of the monitors at home. PM me if you do I would like to invite you to my place or vice versa- How you like that Hank, sorry for sneaking that in    Take care

Hi David - I assembled Lou's and burned them in for a couple of days (good excuse for enjoying them aa), and I don't have plans to build a pair of my RAV-6 tower version.  As you probably know, the RAV-6's use Danny's same woofer and Al's custom Arum Cantus ribbon tweeter, and Danny designed the crossover, so the performance should be just about equal - difference being mainly the higher cost and fragility of the A.C. ribbon tweeter.

Yes, I'd like to get to your place sometime and give a listen - maybe Golden Ears Scott could join us.

Regarding switching the RAV-6 slot port to the front, you don't need to unless your tower placement dictates you have to place them closer to the wall than about a foot and a half.

Fred:  I have construction step photos if you'd like to look at them.  Also, to simplify construction, you could use a tube port, although Al talked me into the slot - he swears the slot "sounds" better.  Have fun making MDF dust :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #158 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:20 pm »
laserman posted some feedback on his new Neo-2X's but I spit it off into a new thread. You can see it here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58321.0

ebag4

« Reply #159 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:21 pm »
Sorry, wrong thread.