New kit, Neo-2X

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: New kit, Neo-2X
« Reply #120 on: 23 Jul 2008, 04:53 pm »
Danny do you really think that the surrounds need an upgrade to the ribbon?  After all, it's just surround/ambience, and for SACD, the individual channel sound is subordinate to the LCR content.

Danny Richie

« Reply #121 on: 23 Jul 2008, 07:41 pm »
Hi Danny, any update on this A/V-3S redesign with the Neo 3 pdr?

I will get to it as soon as I can. I have just not had time to get to it.

I might work something out with someone if they send me one that I can use as a test box for designing the crossover with.

Right now it is hitting 105 degrees outside and it doesn't motivate me too much to get out there in the un-air conditioned work area and start cutting wood.

Danny do you really think that the surrounds need an upgrade to the ribbon?

What chou talking bout Hank?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #122 on: 24 Jul 2008, 02:04 am »
Scuuuze me!  I saw the "S" and immediately thought, are you ready?:  Surround.  Lordy, too much MDF dust and lead solder fumes over the years have left only two or three synapses firing.  :(
NEVER MIND  The jury is instructed to disregard the last post of the defendant  :roll:

LOU:  Your Neo-2X's are READY.  I'm listening to Ms. Krall  :green: right now.  One of our St. Paul research engineers is in town and he's a speaker guy, so I've invited him over tomorrow evening for a listen.  I plan to ship your babies Friday afternoon.  I'll include eight magnets for spacing your grills off the cabinets, and perhaps a 3M microfiber cloth for gentle cleaning :wink:

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #123 on: 24 Jul 2008, 01:00 pm »
Hey Hank,

Are you sure it's just the MDF dust and solder fumes?    :wink:

Thanks for the heads up on the speakers being ready for a final audition and shipping.  I'll give you a call tonight to make sure you have the correct mailing address.

OBTW, once I receive them and burn them in some more, I plan on having a mini GTG for area folks (in the case of Ed, a guy who use to be in the area  8)). 

Danny, how's my request for a sealed servo sub coming together?  September 27th is just around the corner.  IIRC, Bryan should be back in the States today.

L

emac

« Reply #124 on: 24 Jul 2008, 03:19 pm »

OBTW, once I receive them and burn them in some more, I plan on having a mini GTG for area folks (in the case of Ed, a guy who use to be in the area  8)). 

Yeah, I've been displaced or misplaced from the area, I can't decide which.

Either way, I'd love to compare the Neo-2X to the Ninja'ed Ref 1.5's w/ ERT's.   

HT cOz

« Reply #125 on: 24 Jul 2008, 04:08 pm »

Yeah, I've been displaced or misplaced from the area, I can't decide which.

Either way, I'd love to compare the Neo-2X to the Ninja'ed Ref 1.5's w/ ERT's.   

Where are you all located?

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #126 on: 24 Jul 2008, 04:14 pm »
SW PA!  Steeler Country.

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #127 on: 24 Jul 2008, 05:57 pm »
I just finished this pair of Neo-2X's in Tiger Oak for a customer who had Danny drop ship the parts kit to me.  This pair has all of the upgrades & sounds pretty darn good at first listen right now.  I burned in the mid/bass drivers @ FS for several days on my frequency generator & I'm sure that they will sound even better after the crossovers & ribbon tweeters have had some juice running through them.

If any other members are interested, I have a couple of Maple pairs and another Oak pair available.  If you want to build them yourself, you can just get the finished cabinets from me.  They are cut out & routed and are ready to drop in the drivers.  I also offer fully assembled pairs in your choice of other wood finishes.

Thanks,  Fritz

BTW-  These speakers look much better in person.  This picture didn't come out very good due to bad lighting (outside at dusk).  I'm a speaker builder, not a photographer!  I will try to get some better shots later...

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #128 on: 24 Jul 2008, 06:51 pm »
Nice Fritz! I assume these are spot on to Dannys internal volume? If so that would be better than the smallish though stylish PE enclosures

cujobob

« Reply #129 on: 25 Jul 2008, 02:23 am »
Those would be my Neo-2X speakers right there, actually....and they look great!

AFAIK, the internal volume is accurate, but the baffle is a bit wider (.5 inches...so a quarter inch on each side).  I may end up going with Diffraction-Be-Gone on these...not 100% sure yet.  I can't wait to hear them!

-Dave

ttan98

« Reply #130 on: 25 Jul 2008, 04:14 am »
Any difference in sound reproduction between Fritz's flat back enclosure VS PE's curve back cabinet?

cujobob

« Reply #131 on: 25 Jul 2008, 05:06 am »
With No-Rez installed, I'm not sure that there would be a difference.  Without it, possibly a small difference....though if Fritz' cabinets are braced better (to compensate for volume difference), that would help those sound better.

Trafford

« Reply #132 on: 25 Jul 2008, 12:12 pm »
Laserman,

As you can tell by my forum name, I am in Steeler Country also and I would be very interested to hear the Neo-2X's. What Steeler town are you in?

I am trying to set up a nice two channel system without breaking the bank. I am currently considering the Neo-2X, the Kepler from DIYCable, the California Monitor from Selah, the Zaph ZRT from Madisound or the SWG from AV123, if it comes out any time soon.

I have not heard any of these speakers but I am familiar with the reputation and other products of their designers. Of course, hearing any of these would help greatly in making my decision. I also have never done DIY but I am handy and my only fear is making cabinets that will look good enough to put in my livingroom. It would be good to see Hank's work in case I decide to take the easy way out. Please keep me in mind if you do a local audio review.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #133 on: 25 Jul 2008, 02:45 pm »
Hey Trafford,

Everyone calls me Lou...okay, not everyone, but most do.   I live just off of I79, Exit 48.  Where are you located?

Please PM me your email address and telephone and I will contact you when I hold my mini GTG.  September is not looking good and Ed is waiting for a new tweeter for his 1.5's.  I'm going to shot for mid-October.  Ed, how does that work for you?

As far as Cabinets go, I think you will see how striking the PE cabinets are once you view them up close and personal.  I have seen them used on other DIY projects and was always impressed in the quality.

Peace and later,
Lou

KS

« Reply #134 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:37 pm »
Right now it is hitting 105 degrees outside
47° and foggy here this morning; got up to 70° & sunny yesterday afternoon--this has been a very cool summer.

I am trying to set up a nice two channel system without breaking the bank. I am currently considering the Neo-2X, the Kepler from DIYCable, the California Monitor from Selah, the Zaph ZRT from Madisound or the SWG from AV123,
That might be your goal, but you'll likely end up making yourself crazy first... :drool:   Which system best suits your budget and home decor?  I know how much I like my Neo-2X's...I'm listening to http://www.jazz24.org/ on HD FM right now, and I'm very pleased with these speakers--the notes from both ends of the keyboard sound like a real piano, a trumpet sounds like a real trumpet, cymbals are crisp and clear, and vocals are very good...ditto everything classical I've heard from Beethoven's 9th to chamber music.  The Keplers are an hour down the road from me, but there's no way I could compare any without A/B listening tests with fully broken in speakers--same room, same music, immediate switch from one to the other, very tight control over volume levels (the louder one always sounds better).  If you have a helper, try A/B/X testing where the speakers on the third demo are unknown to you whether they're A or B, and you have to I.D. which one as well as pick your favorite.  Lot'sa luck.

Trafford

« Reply #135 on: 25 Jul 2008, 07:06 pm »
Lou,

Sounds like you are near Southpointe. I actually live in the town of Trafford near Monroeville. Not too far away. I will PM you with my email.

KS,

You are right and I am already crazy trying to put this together. Every time I think I got the right set of speakers in my sights, the target changes. I really wanted to get the AV123 SWG's but the wait for them is killing me. However, they might prove to be the lowest cost option and the biggest bang for the buck. I am pretty sure Danny had a big part in their design. The most expensive option is the ZRT but much of the cost is in buying that Revelator name, although the drivers are indeed good ones.

All I really wanted was a nice CD/amp/speaker set-up that stayed under $1000 so could invest my funds into a good music collection and some nice scotch to enjoy while listening to it. Now I seem to be pushing quickly towards $1500 or $2000. If I'm heading towards those number I would like to have a better idea of what my money is getting me. Hearing all of my choices in one place at one time is nothing more than a pipe dream. I will be lucky if I just get to hear them at all before making my decision. Such is life in the audio hobby I guess.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #136 on: 25 Jul 2008, 07:34 pm »
I promise you dont have a bad choice at all there. What is the wattage and amp you will use? What size room do you have and what type of music do you listen to? That will help a bit to go one way or the other.

Trafford

« Reply #137 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:02 pm »
The room is 16X24 with a cathedral ceiling. Music is typically blues, jazz or new age but I also like rock occasionally, mostly blues based like Stevie Ray, ZZ Top, Thorogood, etc. I do not expect to fill the room with sound just put good sound into the room. I need to keep a low profile for the WAF, hence the focus on monitors.

For the amp, I am looking at the Onkyo A9555 or the NAD C352, both about 80watts.

The CD is the XCD-99 from AV123 and it's sound is what started me on this whole adventure.

I have had NHT's, Rockets, Athena's and Sound Dynamics speakers. I want more accuracy and detail than those can give me.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #138 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:15 pm »
More detail and accuracy, then I say the Neo 2X. The planar dynamic tweeter offers excellent detail retrieval, and plenty of dynamics. It has much more surface area than typical domes and a holographic quality that is spooky. If you were more of a rocker, and you do have a good sized room I would eye the DIY cable offering with its huge motor driver. I love Dannys speakers and would prolly opt for the Neo 2X with X sub for a darn near full range system that is a serious bargain.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #139 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:43 pm »
I have to agree that the neo pdr is something special.  :thumb: