Segway Fun

rockadanny

Segway Fun
« on: 2 May 2008, 05:02 pm »
Sis and bro-in-law were in town so I booked us all (wife too) for downtown Atlanta Segway Guided Tours. The Segways are a riot - way fun.  :thumb: I cannot even recall what sites we saw, only how much fun it was to tool around on those little, though heavy, buggers. Not as easy to drive as it looks and they are very responsive. If you get an opportunity to try one out, do it for sure! I suspect many major cities now have these kinds of tours. What a blast! If I lived closer to work I'd trade in my horse and truck for one of these.  8)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Segway Fun
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2008, 11:32 am »
I saw an apparent member of the gallery on one while watching the Thursday TV coverage of whatever PGA tournament is going this week.  Couldn't see below the knees, but it was moving fairly quickly and smoothly, so I assumed he was on a cart path.  Always thought they were a pretty cool idea under the right circumstances, but would hate to break down and have to drag it back to civilization.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2008, 06:33 am »
They even have a Segway for golfers now....

Segway Link...

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2008, 04:40 pm »
They are for the lazy. The University where I live keeps buying these like $5k Segways for meter maids..... ridiculous, I would rather seem them on a skateboard even. The campus is small too.

maxwalrath

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2008, 04:57 pm »
They are for the lazy. The University where I live keeps buying these like $5k Segways for meter maids..... ridiculous, I would rather seem them on a skateboard even. The campus is small too.

That is total bullshit.  Why can't the ability to walk a few miles a day be a job requirement?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2008, 05:17 pm »
Most metermaids use small enclosed carts on the order of a golf cart, which cost more than $5k.  The stated 12.5 mph is much faster than walking speed, so those metermaids can cover more ground.  But I'd question how well they work in foul weather.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2008, 10:45 pm »
A bicycle has the capability to hit over 40mph (with the right rider). The average person would cruise faster than 12.5mph, more like 14-17mph.

Also you can not work from the vehicle, you have to get off anyways.

Bicycles work fine even in snow (right tires and fenders).

I guess the silly part is how many people drive less than 5 miles to the campus when bus, walk, and bike routes, trails, etc are free to use and easy to use.

Also as a student I do not want my big bills I pay to go towards lazy-mobiles.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2008, 11:22 pm »
Further more I actually assume Segways are fun to ride, but a lot of unnecessary poor uses of resources are fun...

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2008, 12:58 pm »
lonewolf - Segway Golf? hmmm ... Golf usually involves drinking, at least mine does. Hey, I don't see a place to store a cooler on that thing.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2008, 03:13 pm »
lonewolf - Segway Golf? hmmm ... Golf usually involves drinking, at least mine does. Hey, I don't see a place to store a cooler on that thing.

Caddy's still have purpose. A fast one can do 12mph

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2008, 03:52 pm »
I met Caddy back in 1998, he made the best moonshine ever.