Selah Audio Galena's -$3k

thronbocaj

Re: Selah Audio Galena's -$3k
« Reply #40 on: 21 Mar 2009, 07:53 pm »

Great looking pair of speakers.  In better times I'm sure they'd be long gone.

Good luck on your sale!    :thumb:

Thanks for the bump!

Best of luck with your sale as well.

thronbocaj

« Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:42 am »
^^^^^^^

thronbocaj

« Reply #42 on: 28 Mar 2009, 04:07 pm »
^^^^^^^^

thronbocaj

« Reply #43 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:31 pm »
^^^^^^^

thronbocaj

« Reply #44 on: 4 Apr 2009, 10:03 pm »
^^^^

mlgill

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:34 am »
Is a bump the same as giving you a Amen :oops:

thronbocaj

« Reply #46 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:37 pm »
^^^^^^^^

thronbocaj

« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:38 am »
^^^^^^

thronbocaj

« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2009, 09:27 pm »
I will include 2 Aurasound replacement woofers for whoever decides to buy these.

Scanspeakguy11

« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2009, 01:07 am »
I was just at audiogon and saw these listed there as well so I though I would give you a bump and discuss Selah Audio a little bit. I have never actually heard the Galenas but Rick has done three custom designs for me now and I am shocked anything on audiogon in the $3k range would sell before these! The drivers used are second to none and Rick does great design and crossover work. If you look at this add and have $3k, have no doubts....they are good......and easily better than any commercial speaker in that range.

2bigears

« Reply #51 on: 6 May 2009, 03:08 am »
 :D is it that most people stay with big and bigger brand names ?? resale on custom speakers really don't do that good even though they are great sounding.it's always been like this from what i can see,and always will be. :scratch:

rahimlee54

« Reply #52 on: 6 May 2009, 03:26 am »
That finish could be running some people off too, that isnt going to be everyone's cup of tea.  Ya I realized custom isnt what going to impress a lot of people when my coworkers suggested I get Cerwin Vega instead of my current speakers.  If I had the cash I'd give those a try unfortunately I just unloaded all I can spend on speakers for the year, as the wife wants some furniture instead.  Good luck.

thronbocaj

« Reply #53 on: 6 May 2009, 04:41 am »
That finish could be running some people off too, that isnt going to be everyone's cup of tea.  Ya I realized custom isnt what going to impress a lot of people when my coworkers suggested I get Cerwin Vega instead of my current speakers.  If I had the cash I'd give those a try unfortunately I just unloaded all I can spend on speakers for the year, as the wife wants some furniture instead.  Good luck.

The pictures in this thread were taken with a flash so these are going to be not nearly as shimmery in person.  Even though the "ice" shimmer effect & light wood veneer happen to be what I like about them.

thronbocaj

« Reply #54 on: 6 May 2009, 04:50 am »
:D is it that most people stay with big and bigger brand names ?? resale on custom speakers really don't do that good even though they are great sounding.it's always been like this from what i can see,and always will be. :scratch:

It just cracks me up a bit when I see speaker that I know sounds worse sell for more than these.  Or when I see a particular decent(well marketed) but not great sounding speaker selling like hot cakes just because there are a few rave reviews in audio publications.

toobluvr

« Reply #55 on: 6 May 2009, 04:53 am »
I was just at audiogon and saw these listed there as well so I though I would give you a bump and discuss Selah Audio a little bit. I have never actually heard the Galenas but Rick has done three custom designs for me now and I am shocked anything on audiogon in the $3k range would sell before these! The drivers used are second to none and Rick does great design and crossover work. If you look at this add and have $3k, have no doubts....they are good......and easily better than any commercial speaker in that range.

In my experience, most folks don't buy for good sound.  They buy for badges, prestige and names.  Sad but true.

By this I mean they don't buy to get the best sound possible for a given dollar amount, without regard for the label...or brand prestige....or resell issues...or any of the other peripheral considerations.

I just went through the same thing with two pair of speakers I had up for sale.  I knew they were great value, and at their price point (and even beyond) few if anything could touch them.

If you are patient enough and can stick it out, someone who understands good sound and good value will appear, and you will get what they are worth.  That's what I did.  It took over 3 months to sell them, but I did not have to give them away.

Good Luck...I bet they are wonderful speakers and well worth their asking price.

~ John

Scanspeakguy11

« Reply #56 on: 6 May 2009, 04:46 pm »
Yes, I can't believe the power of a brand name. Rick's SSR two-way monitor uses a 7" ScanSpeak revelator paired with a fountek ribbon in a stand-mount cabinet which can be had for $1525 w/cabinets. If one has woodworking skills, they could do this speaker (with a great cabinet) for around a grand provided they already have the tools. In contrast, Krell has a monitor (LAT 2) which uses the same woofer with the cheaper Vifa XT25 for $10,500. To top it off, I am confident Rick uses better crossover parts. Sonus Faber had the Cremona Auditor which used a single 5" Scan revelator with the Vifa XT tweeter which retailed for over 5 grand. Rick just did a custom design for me that used the much more expensive Morel ET338 tweeter and 2  5" revelators in a MTM for WAY less than this. I just compared this speaker to a pair of three-way B&W's which are over $5500 and my speaker was equal or superior to the B&W in every way except the bass, but the B&W was a floorstander with dual woofers, so it had an intrinsic edge.

Recently, I listed my custom Selah speakers for sale on here which used 2 SEAS excel mag cones with a Millennium tweeter and haven't bothered to bump the thread because I am probably not going to sell them. There isn't a commercial speaker on the planet that uses this driver configuration that retails under $3500 and most are much more.

I could literally give pages of examples of commercial speakers which are outrageously priced compared to what Selah Audio does with similar drivers.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 6 May 2009, 04:50 pm »
Do you guys think a high-end shop would allow someone to sell custom speakers in their store?  I hate to say this but the seller could sell at a higher price than they intended and gve the difference to the store.

toobluvr

« Reply #58 on: 6 May 2009, 05:57 pm »
Yes, I can't believe the power of a brand name. Rick's SSR two-way monitor uses a 7" ScanSpeak revelator paired with a fountek ribbon in a stand-mount cabinet which can be had for $1525 w/cabinets. If one has woodworking skills, they could do this speaker (with a great cabinet) for around a grand provided they already have the tools. In contrast, Krell has a monitor (LAT 2) which uses the same woofer with the cheaper Vifa XT25 for $10,500. To top it off, I am confident Rick uses better crossover parts. Sonus Faber had the Cremona Auditor which used a single 5" Scan revelator with the Vifa XT tweeter which retailed for over 5 grand. Rick just did a custom design for me that used the much more expensive Morel ET338 tweeter and 2  5" revelators in a MTM for WAY less than this. I just compared this speaker to a pair of three-way B&W's which are over $5500 and my speaker was equal or superior to the B&W in every way except the bass, but the B&W was a floorstander with dual woofers, so it had an intrinsic edge.

Recently, I listed my custom Selah speakers for sale on here which used 2 SEAS excel mag cones with a Millennium tweeter and haven't bothered to bump the thread because I am probably not going to sell them. There isn't a commercial speaker on the planet that uses this driver configuration that retails under $3500 and most are much more.

I could literally give pages of examples of commercial speakers which are outrageously priced compared to what Selah Audio does with similar drivers.

Yes, all true.

This is because most guys in this field are a bunch of insecure Nervous Nellies who need assurances from their audio buddies.  They worry about brand recognition, and how their purchase will be perceived by others, and what happens come resale time.  When I buy I do consider possible resale issues, but for the other two....I don't give a rat's ass!

So instead of getting the absolute best sound they can at a given price point, they buy a recognized name for prestige.....or ease of resell...or bragging rights....or whatever.
 :dunno:

To this I say.....
WEAK AND LAME

:lol:

This kindof buying approach makes it really difficult for direct and cottage shop guys...like the excellent names mentioned here...to survive, despite offering a superior product. This is to the detriment of us all, or at least to those of us that prize musical reproduction and value over a prestigious or recognizeable label. 

But that's the way things are, and I don't think it will ever change.
 :roll:

Personally I prefer buying from the smaller direct sellers.  I like saving money.  I like bang for the buck, regardless of the label.  I like laughing all the way to the bank.  And I like seeing the bewildered look on the faces when they hear my performance vs theirs....at a fraction of the cost.
 8)

thronbocaj

« Reply #59 on: 9 May 2009, 08:15 pm »
^^^^^