Would you buy a used DSLR...?

JohnR

« on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:06 am »
I've been contemplating an upgrade. Having had my D40 for nearly 18 months now I feel a lot more comfortable with the results I am getting from digital. A bit put off by reports of possible QC and metering issues with the D300, and it is a fairly hefty (for a hobbyist) chunk of change.

So I see now that used D200s seem to be selling on the forums for USD800-900, which is really rather tempting... In fact, even a used D2x is less than a D300, and reports from forums with people using both indicate a preference for the D2x if high-ISO performance is not a priority. A nice looking D2x sold on EBay Australia last night for AUD1800...

For me, the main advantages of an upgrade would be a better viewfinder, ability to meter with my AIS lenses, and fine JPEG along with RAW. More pixels is a plus but also potentially a downside (bigger files -- my computer isn't going to run Photoshop any faster...)

While of course used models are "old" technology, they have already taken the depreciation hit and they're still pretty darn good cameras...

Hm... well, any thoughts from anyone?

jcpix

Re: Would you buy a used DSLR...?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:12 am »

I would and have purchased used DSLR's.  The main reason is cost. New cameras are like cars, once they leave the showroom the price drops big time like you pointed out.  When it comes to file sizes, they are only going to get bigger and the computer upgrade chase will not end for quite a few years.

jeff

mateo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:30 am »
I have purchased both a used Canon 1D Mark II and original 1D, and given them several thousand frames' worth workouts, with no regrets. I'd do it again, too.

low.pfile

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:30 am »
Jon,

I have only bought used lenses and found them a bargain. Myself I have a D70 that I need to post soon. I can say that is has been lightly used and treated with great respect. I think my situation is common and just like audio equip. there are always "finds".. so who ever gets this will be a lucky. I still have the D70 since I upgraded to and am using the D80.

^^^ this is not an ad.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2008, 07:04 am »
I purchased my D40 used - it even has a crack in the body which I knew about when buying it.  It works fine - as new, as far as I can tell.  My next camera will most likely be used, too.  If you can check it out before buying or buy from a seller with a well established condition rating system, I would have no hesitation.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2008, 11:07 am »
Just make sure it isn't gray market.  :roll:

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2008, 11:09 am »
Cool, thanks for the feedback, guys. The used D200 idea is growing on me... Looking at the D2x, the original price was apparently close to AUD $10k a little over 3 years ago. Now they are $1800 used, $3000 new.

So I figure that in 3 years I can get a D3 for AUD $2000-3000 tops. In the meantime, a D200 can't be all that bad.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2008, 11:34 am »
Hey John, AC GAS member "Turbo....{something}" had one a while back I think he was willing to part with. It's been a long time since he's posted here so I don't know what's up with that, but I'll link you to him if you aren't sure who I'm refering to.

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2008, 11:47 am »
I think that was a D70.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2008, 03:17 pm »
Whoops.  :oops: You're right, sorry.
I suppose I've had my head all the way up my butt today. That's twice.  :duh:

Bob

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2008, 04:45 pm »
Hey!

Short answer.... Yes. :D

But there is a catch.... I don't think I would buy DSLR that is over 2 generations older than current model.

If you are talking about Nikon. The D200 is a very nice camera. I've use it from time to time at work. Although my boss now have D300. The D200 still in the bag as a back up.

Beside more pixels, which is not much more.  Newer DSLRs seem to have a better noise control at higher ISO than older one. But if you are not shooting much above ISO 800 than you will be just fine. :D

Anyway, over here in NYC you could still pick up a new D200 for $1300 or D300 for $1800

Still the D200 will definitely be an improvement over the D40 for sure. :D But make sure the one that you are buying is clean and not abused. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2008, 09:51 am »
Well. I played with a D200 and a D300 in a store today. (I do spend money there and am on good terms with the salesman, Ivan -- pronounced I-as-in-"it" V A-as-in-"car" N.) One big surprise for me was that the way that you use the D300 for image review is much more like my D40 than the D200. Just faster, and with a bigger and nicer screen.

Of course, the D200 does have features that my D40 doesn't... but you know what, I'm not actually unhappy with the D40. In fact, I'm having a ball with it. And I still have film bodies for when I really want to do things that require DoF preview and mirror lockup...

So, I'm going to sit tight for now and see what the year brings. There are rumours of an "affordable" full frame DSLR from Nikon for this year... that would really get my attention... in the meantime, the spending money goes into lenses... :D

Thanks for the comments :)

JohnR

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2008, 05:33 pm »
I wouldn't buy used Pro DSLR camera.  Why?  Because there is life expectancy on the shutter mechanism.  As an example most Pro cameras are good for say 150,000 shutter actuations.  Pro Cameras normally get's used all the time.  This similar to mileage in our cars.  This is one of the reason I will think twice about getting a used Pro DSLR.

In my experience, Nikon drops price after 6 mos or if new model comes up.   For me, it is better to wait and buy a new one with warranty. 

If used market is really for you.  Make sure you check the mileage on shutter actuations.  The lower the mileage the better. 

Here is a good link for Nikon users.  http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/  also www.opanda.com

Cheers,
Levi

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2008, 05:39 pm »
BTW, Opanda is an EXIF reader.  Here is how it works.  Take a jpg shot and open the image with opanda.  Somewhere in the EXIF data, it will show shutter actuations.

low.pfile

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2008, 05:41 pm »
I use a freeware called EXIF Viewer http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2008, 06:09 pm »
Nice EXIF reader for Mac OS X. 
:thumb:

Another way for checking mileage on a used DSLR cameras or simply have fun with yours.  :wink:

mateo

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2008, 06:46 pm »
I wouldn't buy used Pro DSLR camera.  Why?  Because there is life expectancy on the shutter mechanism.  As an example most Pro cameras are good for say 150,000 shutter actuations.  Pro Cameras normally get's used all the time.  This similar to mileage in our cars.  This is one of the reason I will think twice about getting a used Pro DSLR.

Which is why you get the actuation count before you consider buying. There are programs on the Canon side that verify the shutter count from embedded photo data; I don't know what there is on the Nikon side. Getting a body w/ a 30,000 frame count on a 150,000 life-expectancy shutter is often worth it ;)

That said, to satisfy my own OCD I like buying new, but when I haven't been able to justify it, used bodies are awesome.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2008, 12:35 am »
I would definitely buy a used one from someone who took care of it. I would go right for the D300 over the D200 based on what I have read. It seems to be so much of an improvement, yet keeps lots of the good things about the D40. Unfortunately that pesky market may make it expensive to get a used D300.

I am loving my 18-200 VR lens by the way. Getting ready to post some pics soon I hope.

Parnelli777

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2008, 01:10 am »

Yes. The only way to fly imo. I bought a gently used Canon 5D with the BG-E4 (600~ shutter actuations) for $1700, and a 24-70 F2.8 L USM for $900. I of course, saved a LOT of $$$. The body is perfect, and has no issues. However, Canon's official policy is that warranties are not transferable. I'm just willing to take a chance to save hundreds, if not thousands of $$$ :D