possible to change cache of SB3?

kyrill

possible to change cache of SB3?
« on: 26 Apr 2008, 11:05 am »
hi
Is it  possible to change the cache of SB3 as it is possible to do it with winamp for instance in the shoutcast driver?

The context is the internet radio "department" The bigger the cache the less fluctuating internet bandwidth hinders the listening

I suppose the cache is done by Squeezecenter on the PC regulating the cache in memory of the PC?

Grumpy_Git

Re: possible to change cache of SB3?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2008, 04:25 pm »
surely the caching happens in the SB3?

This would then be a hardware issue.

Nick

JEaton

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2008, 06:45 am »
Is it  possible to change the cache of SB3 as it is possible to do it with winamp for instance in the shoutcast driver?

No.  The cache size on the SB2/3 is fixed.  But it's pretty substantial, at something like 32kB.  I know that if I stream 128 MP3 to my SB2 it takes more than 30 seconds to clear the buffer if I just pull the network plug.  That can overcome a considerable amount of network problems.  The network speed of the Squeezebox also plays soem part, as it dictates how quickly the cache can be refilled when it gets low.  Faster is better, so if you have a slow, marginal wirelss connection, it can be tough to overcome.

kyrill

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2008, 09:43 am »
32kb is not so big in my eyes ah well thx for the answer

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2008, 12:05 pm »
Are you getting dropouts?

Bob

kyrill

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm »
sometimes Bob, especially when my nephew(18 yrs)  ( neighbor) is downloading whole movies...
i suggested him to download things with considerable length between certain hrs

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2008, 01:08 pm »
I see what you mean now.
I'm not a networking expert (  :roll: ), just thinking out loud here;
- Could you "up" your hispeed internet service to a faster connection? Wouldn't this relax the bandwidth so to speak?
- Realizing most of the problem is in your home network is it possible to "up" your wireless router speed with different hardware?
Also, is it absolutely necessary to have your SB wireless? Or is running wires not an option?

Bob

kyrill

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2008, 01:58 pm »
I see what you mean now.
I'm not a networking expert (  :roll: ), just thinking out loud here;
- Could you "up" your hispeed internet service to a faster connection? Wouldn't this relax the bandwidth so to speak?
I did, adsl2 10mb at least 18 max
- Realizing most of the problem is in your home network is it possible to "up" your wireless router speed with different hardware? no not possible
Also, is it absolutely necessary to have your SB wireless? Or is running wires not an option?
hehe wireless is sooooo convenient and the problem is solved as nephew wil keep to non listening hrs
I needed int4rnet radio to break in the SB2 bolder mods

thx for thinking loud

Bob
[/quo
te]

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:32 pm »
i suggested him to download things with considerable length between certain hrs
Yea, I thought this might be the quickest, easiest and cheapest solution as well.  :lol:
Glad it's workin' for ya.  :wink:

Bob

Brad W.

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2008, 11:32 pm »
Actually I believe you can change the buffer size for internet radio.  Go to "Settings" and then click on the "Advanced" tab.  Then in the drop down menu on the left choose "Network".  From there you can adjust the radio buffer time anywhere between three and thirty seconds.  The default is three seconds.

Brad

kyrill

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2008, 08:34 am »
wow

thx