My HT

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: My HT
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:53 pm »
Thanks Robin.  My wife and i enjoy lots of great movies and very fine 2-channel listening.

Gene

You never listen to surround music at all? Even tho I listen to 1 channel more than I ever have before lately, I still consider myself a multichannel enthusiast with my 4 Odyssey Lorelei's in Dolby Pro Logic 2x.  :D

Happy listening,
Robin

gthomas

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:00 pm »
I just can't get into surround music except on videos.  I'm too old!

Gene

rockets97

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:08 pm »
I would not have the "hand rubbed" finish if I did it again.   

Would you explain it please. I am in the process to pick out the finished for my ST's, so it's will help to understance all the pros and cons.
Thanks.

keithpkp

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:11 pm »
Rocket,

Funkmonkey had a long discussion about ST vs HT.  Search for Salk song on AV forum.

Regards,

Keith P.

gthomas

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:19 pm »
  They are just too shiney at times.  Although they are beautiful I would like for them to look more like the deeper rosewood color.

Believe me, I am splitting hairs here.  These are wonderful, beautiful speakers and I probably will only sell them when Jim comes up with something better.

Gene

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:28 pm »
  They are just too shiney at times.  Although they are beautiful I would like for them to look more like the deeper rosewood color.

Believe me, I am splitting hairs here.  These are wonderful, beautiful speakers and I probably will only sell them when Jim comes up with something better.

Gene

I know just what you're saying Gene, I have a friend with hand rubbed HT-3's and they do have laminated look to them instead of a natural wood grain finish. It is definitely a matter of personal preference as the hand rubbed does look killer and more furniture quality IMHO. But I would have done with the natural wood grain finish myself,,, just too much shine for my envirement. Had I a more refined living envirement, I would probably feel different tho.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

martyo

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2008, 06:56 pm »
Mine are not hand rubbed but they are pretty shiney. With 6 coats of lacquer that is going to happen. A couple of people have commented that they look soooo good it must be fake.

BPuckett

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2008, 07:58 pm »
Mine have a sprayed on satin finish.  I was concerned that the hand-rubbed finish would reflect every light source in the vicinity and be a distraction.  I'm very happy with the satin finish.  It looks natural and allows the wood grain to be seen easily from any angle.

Bob

wiz

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:59 am »
Whoa Robin!!!
4 Loreleis??? That's fantastic. I bet they sound great in multichannel. I had a pair a few years ago and loved them, but I had to downsize. Klaus makes some wonderful stuff.
I just got my ST's (natural cherry) from Jim this week, and I may be liking them better than the Loreleis...going off memory here. Pretty similar characteristics. The ST's don't have quite as much bass (but it is warm and tuneful), however the top end is perfect for me. Just the right amount of air and "sparkle" without being harsh. That Hiquophon tweeter is magic! The soundstage also seems wider and deeper, but there was very little to fault with the Loreleis.
Klaus used to say they were his absolute best "bang for the buck". I certainly wouldn't have let them go, if I didn't have to dismantle my system. Glad your enjoying them!!
It's REALLY nice to know there are guys like Klaus and Jim who not only provide a great product at an unimaginable value, but their customer support is second to none.
 :thumb:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:16 pm »

Gene

I know just what you're saying Gene, I have a friend with hand rubbed HT-3's and they do have laminated look to them instead of a natural wood grain finish. It is definitely a matter of personal preference as the hand rubbed does look killer and more furniture quality IMHO. But I would have done with the natural wood grain finish myself,,, just too much shine for my envirement. Had I a more refined living envirement, I would probably feel different tho.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Nope mine are just the high gloss finish not hand rubbed :nono:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:21 pm »
It's been years since I have heard Robin's system, but as I remember it was very, very good.  He is the ultimate tweaker so it is hard to imagine what his system sounds like now :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2008, 09:41 pm »
gthomas - gorgeous!  Thanks for posting the pics over at AVS as well.  I think you blew some people's minds due to how gorgeous those speakers are!

gthomas

« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:01 pm »
Thanks nuance.  Now if i could get a pair of STs for my office to listen to music there..........

jsalk

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2008, 12:24 am »
Thanks nuance.  Now if i could get a pair of STs for my office to listen to music there..........

Would they be in a nice rich red rosewood?   :lol:

- Jim

gthomas

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2008, 12:57 am »
Yes Jim, that would be just what I would want!! :thumb:

gthomas

« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2008, 09:17 pm »
Since I posted my pics, I have replaced the Gemstone amp with the Denon POA which matches the AVP Pre-Pro.  I have bridged the Rt, Lt and Center channels running 300 wpc to those three speakers and 150wpc to the surrounds and rears. It's a 10 channel amp by the way.  The sound is just awsome.  I couldn't be happier with my HT now.  By the way, 2-channel isn't shabby :D

Gene