Triode vs. ultralinear

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
Triode vs. ultralinear
« on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm »

As I try and find a new tube amplifier to match with my Blueberry Xtreme Preamp, I'm seeing a lot of this type stuff: "50Wpc at triode, 100Wpc at Class-AB ultralinear". 

Will someone explain this to me in layman's terms?  That is, really, really dumbed down.  You know, like the newspapers do . . . okay, imagine I'm in 6th grade.

Kirch

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Triode vs. ultralinear
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:57 am »
"TRIODE VS ULTRALINEAR :  Triode is considered the ‘BEST’ way to listen to tubes.  Although the output decreases, the bandwidth increases, the distortion decreases, and damping factor increases.

ULTRALINEAR MODE is a superb compromise.  The output power is more than TRIODE, yet you have most of the benefits of TRIODE. You have Better LINEARITY, Greater DAMPING FACTOR, and Lower DISTORTION, but virtually the same Power Output as PENTODE."

tanchiro58

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2008, 07:03 am »

As I try and find a new tube amplifier to match with my Blueberry Xtreme Preamp, I'm seeing a lot of this type stuff: "50Wpc at triode, 100Wpc at Class-AB ultralinear". 

Will someone explain this to me in layman's terms?  That is, really, really dumbed down.  You know, like the newspapers do . . . okay, imagine I'm in 6th grade.

Kirch

Have you listened to the push-pull tube amp (output power) with a sound of triode?

jon_010101

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2008, 08:33 am »
The terminology refers to the way the output tubes are used.  I have push-pull triode, ultralinear, and pentode amps and have come to the conclusion that they all sound great when working their best ;)  Generally, triodes are the least efficient but the most forgiving.  Pentode amps are rare now, but ultralinear designs are a good compromise.  Most that you will find in the 50-100w range are going to be ul.  Be aware though that most amps that are "switchable" will sound better in one mode or the other, depending on which the designer spent more effort on. 

For some reason, pentode amps have a bad rap lately.  I disagree entirely!  I am listening to one now and it is every bit as good as my triode push-pull amps.  So dont sweat it too much.  If the engineers knew what they were doing, it will sound good!