28BSST or 7BSST????

Panelman

Re: 28BSST or 7BSST????
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2008, 07:43 pm »
Which model?

I have owned all of them over the years all the way back to the Tympani series.

james

I started with the MG IIIc and then got the 1.6QR about ten years ago. 3.6's are next.  I remember listening to the Tympanis back in the 80s at Audio Perfection in Minneapolis. That was the first time I realized how much information is on a record that you don't normally get to hear on most systems. There was detail on that Phil Collins album that I  didn't know was there even though Phil was on the radio constantly back then. I believe there have been a lot of Bryston amps sold with Magnepans in Minneapolis.

Sean

mr_bill

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2008, 08:59 pm »
Audio Perfection is a great spot.  I've been there many times.  I'd love to have a pair of 3.6's!

Frisco

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2008, 09:16 pm »
Hi James,
Since you're the main man here for Bryston,,,,,I have a question for you. Forgive me if this has been asked before  :duh: . If I were to buy a piece of Bryston equipment from Audiogon that has a few years left of warranty of the 20 available, would Bryston honor any repairs that might occur? Can you also elaborate any drawbacks that I may have from purchasing a unit from audiogon?

Thank you in advance

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm »
Hi James,
Since you're the main man here for Bryston,,,,,I have a question for you. Forgive me if this has been asked before  :duh: . If I were to buy a piece of Bryston equipment from Audiogon that has a few years left of warranty of the 20 available, would Bryston honor any repairs that might occur? Can you also elaborate any drawbacks that I may have from purchasing a unit from audiogon?

Thank you in advance

Hi Papajohn,

I assume it is an older unit. Yes we would cover the warranty.  I would send me the serial number though to make sure it has some warranty left before you commit.

james

theonlyone

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:30 pm »
Hi James,

Thank you in advance

Hi Papajohn,

I assume it is an older unit. Yes we would cover the warranty.  I would send me the serial number though to make sure it has some warranty left before you commit.

james

Would you cover even if the original sales-dokuments are missing? I have been asking around various auctions, (ebay and elsewhere) and sometimes the original sales-dokuments have disappeared. Are the serialnr. sufficient in such cases?

theonlyone

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:36 pm »
Hi James,

Thank you in advance

Hi Papajohn,

james

Would you cover even if the original sales-dokuments are missing? I have been asking around various auctions, (ebay and elsewhere) and sometimes the original sales-dokuments have disappeared. Are the serialnr. sufficient in such cases?

theonlyone

HI

NOTE:
Products sold prior to February 2006 do NOT require a bill of sale for warranty service.

After Feb 06 you need a copy of the original bill of sale showing serial number and dealer purchased through.

james

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 07:12 pm by James Tanner »

Viajero5000

« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:59 pm »
James,

For pre-2006 products, would the warranty still be honoured if the product is in use in a country different from where it was originally purchased?

theonlyone

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2008, 07:11 pm »
James Tanner wrote:

"NOTE:
Products sold prior to February 2006 do NOT require a bill of sale for warranty service.

After Feb 06 you need a opy of the original bill of sale showing serial number and dealer purchased through.

james"

Thank you!

theonlyone

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2008, 07:17 pm »
James,

For pre-2006 products, would the warranty still be honoured if the product is in use in a country different from where it was originally purchased?

Hi,

The warranty is officially in the country of original purchase but usually our distributor in the second country will take care of our customer without issue.

james

rabpaul

« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2008, 04:26 am »
As for the 7B's vs the 28B's there is a difference in sound on the 3.7's. 
James,
I recall reading somewhere that bridged designs don't handle low impedences very well. (True/False?)
Would the 14B or 28B have a problem if the impedence is lower than 3 Ohms?

KeithA

« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2008, 12:11 pm »
recall reading somewhere that bridged designs don't handle low impedences very well. (True/False?)
Would the 14B or 28B have a problem if the impedence is lower than 3 Ohms?

I think there is reference to the 28B not liking 2 ohms much in the 'measurements' section of the Stereophile review.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2008, 03:37 pm »
James;

The answer depends on whether the less-than-3-Ohms being contemplated is over a narrow band, (which is perfectly fine), or average over the full frequency range, (which could cause overheating). 

The 7B SST and the 28B SST are both Series amplifiers, and either can drive 3 Ohms and above without difficulty, so they are happy with low impedances.  The 28B test showed it to have more THD at 2 Ohms than at 4 or 8, but still extremely low distortion, (under 0.01% full-band)   Show me another amplifier whose THD at high power levels is below 0.01% at 20KHz and above even at 8 Ohms!

If you are planning on a speaker or speaker combination whose overall impedance is well below 3 Ohms, we recommend contacting the factory for more detailed analysis of heating concerns, etc.

cwr
Bryston Engineering
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2008, 03:47 pm by James Tanner »

mkaiser

« Reply #32 on: 5 May 2008, 06:39 pm »
We shared a demo room with Thiel at the recent Vegas Hi-Fi show in January (CES 2008) and used the 28B's on the Thiel CS 3.7's. Jim Thiel himself told me that it was the best sound they had ever had at a show.  Also George Cardas of Cardas cables was so impressed with the setup he was sending people to our demo as his quote was - 'that's the best sound I have heard at a show in 20 years'

James,
Were you using Cardas Cables in this setup? If so, can you recall which ones you used as i have a Cardas dealer in my area and am thinking of looking at their lines.

Thanks

-Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 5 May 2008, 06:53 pm »
We shared a demo room with Thiel at the recent Vegas Hi-Fi show in January (CES 2008) and used the 28B's on the Thiel CS 3.7's. Jim Thiel himself told me that it was the best sound they had ever had at a show.  Also George Cardas of Cardas cables was so impressed with the setup he was sending people to our demo as his quote was - 'that's the best sound I have heard at a show in 20 years'

James,
Were you using Cardas Cables in this setup? If so, can you recall which ones you used as i have a Cardas dealer in my area and am thinking of looking at their lines.

Thanks

-Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes we were - the speaker cables were the Golden Reference - about 6 feet per side- and the interconnects were the top XLR balanced - I think there called Gold Reference as well.  About 20 feet to the amps. We also used XLR cables on the Bryston CD player out to the BP26 in.

james

mkaiser

« Reply #34 on: 5 May 2008, 07:43 pm »
Hi Mark,

Yes we were - the speaker cables were the Golden Reference - about 6 feet per side- and the interconnects were the top XLR balanced - I think there called Gold Reference as well.  About 20 feet to the amps. We also used XLR cables on the Bryston CD player out to the BP26 in.

james

Thank you for the fast and detailed reply James.

-Mark

Tony1

« Reply #35 on: 6 May 2008, 12:09 am »
James or anyone that may know

How would you describe the characterisics of the Thiel 3.7, forward or laid back?

Thanks

Tony

mr_bill

« Reply #36 on: 6 May 2008, 01:19 am »
Tony,
See James' excellent review in the Bryston Circle from earlier this winter.  Do a search and you'll find his observations.

Phil A

« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2008, 01:24 am »
James or anyone that may know

How would you describe the characterisics of the Thiel 3.7, forward or laid back?

Thanks

Tony

I'd describe them as forward as far as imaging goes.  They are much smoother in the high end than other Thiels.  I've owned a bunch and set-up a bunch.  Had the 7.2s before the 3.7s.  The coaxial midrange/tweeter in the 2.4s, for example, can break-up a bit if pushed hard.  It was better than the 2.3s.  They image a bit better than the 7.2s and are better balanced.  The 7.2s had a bit more bass in my room below 40HZ (I use 2 Rel subs anyway crossed over at 22HZ) but the bass is more balanced in the 3.7s.  The 7.2s could have a bit more upper bass/lower midrange heaviness, which, for someone who is basically soley into classical big orchestra music might prefer.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #38 on: 7 May 2008, 05:45 am »
Tony,
See James' excellent review in the Bryston Circle from earlier this winter.  Do a search and you'll find his observations.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43966.10

klao

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jun 2008, 04:38 pm »

The 7B sounds fast and open on the Thiels with excellent bass and the soundstage is at the plane of the speakers and projects slightly forward and back. The 28B sounds a bit more laid back with the soundstage starting at the plane of the speaker and moving back and away. The 28B's have a greater ability to 'flesh out' the Thiels. If your Thiels sound forward and in your face in your setup then I would go with the 28B's. If you feel the Theils are a little laid back and you want a more up-front perspective then go with the 7B's.

James,

Thanks

-Mark

Hi Mark,

james

Hi James & fellow members,

Would the same characteristics of both amps in terms of soundstage plane (7B's-forward & 28B's-back and away) apply to the Magnepan MG3.6/R speakers?  I prefer the behind the plane, laid back soundstage for my Maggie but can afford only a pair of 7B's, thus waiting for trickering down of the new idea from the 28B's.  Not sure if that would bring the soundstage back a bit on the improved 7B's?  (I have yet to make appointment for in home audition of the current 7B's with your dealer here.)

I'm researching for the 2-meter, XLR interconnects to be used between my planned, new Bryston amps and a preamp.  Your camp seems to favour and recommend low capacitance designs, so my short list includes Cardas Golden Reference (7.0 pF), Nordost Blue Heaven (8.1 pF), and HT Pro-Silway III+ (21.0 pF).  Reviews of these wires give me the impression that low capacitance interconnects bring sounds forward but quite neutral (less warmth).  Is that a fair conclusion?  How about Bryston's own interconnects?  Also, do you recommend using the interconnects between source & preamp to be of similar capacitance measurements as the ones between pre and power amps? (My current pair of XLR interconnects are rated at 64.0 pF.)

Thanks in advance for all you advise and insights.