Wadia Ipod Transport VS Squeezebox Duet

Wayne1

Re: Wadia Ipod Transport VS Squeezebox Duet
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2008, 04:16 pm »
BTW, the Wadia iTransport is NOT the first unit to allow digital output from an iPod.

At CES 2007 Alpine introduced a unit for the car that allowed a fifth-gen iPod to be connected to it through USB

iDA-X001

I think you can find these Alpine head units for under $300.00

BrassEar

« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2008, 05:41 pm »
>>DLO will be offering a HomeDock HD with HDMI, upsampling video and digital audio out for $200.00.

Does anyone know if the DLO unit outputs true digital or are they just doing A/D in the dock?

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2008, 05:48 pm »
DLO Homedock HD

"Pure digital audio via optical digital output"

sts9fan

« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2008, 06:15 pm »
What you are missing is that the wadia DOES not run the analog signal through an A/D.

It takes the discrete digital data stream from the iPod.  At this point in time no one
else does this and that's what makes this device remarkable.

No aliens involved.

Current iPods do not have a direct digital pinout, there's more to it than that.

Wrong on all counts.....

Shockingly snooty and also seems to be wrong per the recent posts by Wayne.
To think a reviewer acting in such a way.  What is this world coming to.....

The fact is if Wadia sells something for $350 it will be avalible for $50

BrassEar

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2008, 06:24 pm »
Thanks Wayne, but "Pure digital audio via optical digital output" doesn't sound to me like a guarantee that they are not just doing A/D conversion. Or am I just being jaded? 

I actually think the market for the Wadia itransport or any other high quality docking device that can tap the digital outs of the ipods is going to be huge in the marketplace.  I can fit a lot of lossless music on my 160 Gig ipod classic.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2008, 07:38 pm »
I agree with sts9fan, and I know MSB makes a similar docking station, but theirs requires the ipod to be modded by them, and gives an IR ability to the ipod to allow you to sit at your listening position and scroll through your ipod while the docking station sends the digital signal to a dac, maybe even their own. It was the coolest thing at CES this year 8), for me anyway, but costs many more $$$.