New HT-3

boroson

New HT-3
« on: 7 Apr 2008, 12:27 pm »
I just finished building a standard pair of HT-3, ribbon tweeters and I am very impressed. It was immediately apparent that these are the real thing. Open, detailed, fast, tranparent, wide, subtle yet dynamic. The most impressive characteristic though is the "quietness". What I mean is that when a note ends, the sound stops, right now. Triangles, bass guitars. A sax sounds like a sax. All Cd's sound much better. An awsome speaker that smokes many so called "good" speaker systems.

I have been involved with hifi since almost birth (1957) as my Father was an early stereo hobbiest. I built my first Dynaco integrated when I was 16, and worked as a retailer and store manager throughout the decade of my 20's. I owned a few classic speakers, Tympanies, Ohm F, Ohm Walsh 2, Vanderstein 2 Ci, Pyramid, etc and am fimiliar with many more. The HT-3 is the best, by far.

My system:

Old Marantz Cdp
Van Alstine Omega III Top DAC
Van Alstine Super PAS 3i
Van Alstine Ultimate 70
Van Alstine Transedence 250
ART Active Crossover

Thanks to guys like Al W. And Frank V., superior sound can be had at a very reasonable price.
And I'll be looking for a new turntable to go along with my Infinity Black Widow now that I've become rejuvinated. Thanks Al.

audioferret

Re: New HT-3
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2008, 11:13 am »
Congratulations on the build!  How are you using the active crossover?

I really enjoyed building mine.  For me, the pleasure at building something far outweighs something you just bought from someone else.  I am looking at a 5.0 HT2 build for my home theater.

See if you can find some music of Japansese Taicho(sp?) drums.  The HT3s will blow your mind.   

boroson

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2008, 11:29 pm »
Thank you, the construction was very enjoyable and not too difficult. I had people over Fri. night, one of which has two pretty good systems and he said mine was the best he'd ever heard. The HT3s are remarkable. I can't get over the large, full, detailed sound.

The crossover is set at 250hz with the lows going to the solid state VanAlstine and the mid/highs to the Ultimate 70. There are level controls on the xover so I've dialed in the volume settings which work best for my room and how I like the balance. Bi amping makes a huge difference in the overall performance.

I have recently designed a small 2 way that sounded so good, I sent them to my Father to audition. He hasen't been too quick to send them back and preferrs them to his present speakers. I find it interesting to hand calculate all of the parameters and have something that works so well as a result. But they aren't HT3's.

Now I want HT8's but that's how this hobby goes.

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2008, 03:32 pm »
Bryan

Glad you are settling in with your HT3 speakers with your external crossovers plus electronic active crossovers as a option. :thumb:

With the HT3 the jump to the new HT8 with our new crossover the orders of the crossover stay the same. This order applies as well to the Apex III this was done to keep the voicing as close as possible with the models.
Going to the HT8 is a very large step up over the HT3 in both dynamics, attack and vocal presence.

Sit back enjoy your HT3 only 40" tall ,you have a lot of tonal control from such as small speaker.

See if you can find some music of Japansese Taicho(sp?) drums.  The HT3s will blow your mind. 
I agree we have a few disks and the drums will put a test into any speaker aa

boroson

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm »
Hi Al

We had a listening session last Fri and I really pushed the speakers way into the wee hours. One friend who has an EXPENSIVE 7.1 system and who was a drummer for many years said mine was the best system he's ever heard. The sound is so big and powerful yet clear and detailed that it still makes me smile. If I can sell the HT3's I'll order the 8s in a second.

boroson

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2008, 10:18 pm »
Hi Al

I was just wondering if I could use my parts and get the rest to make a set of HT8? If so, what would be the cost?

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2008, 06:52 am »
Well you can use the tweeters and woofers.
That is it.

Why not just build the HT8 and then have a shoot out :lol: