Wyred 4 Sound and Emerald Physics!

consttraveler

• I think I won!
Re: Wyred 4 Sound and Emerald Physics!
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2008, 08:06 pm »
Dan:

I get home (maybe, if the airlines cooperate) from a business trip tonight, and tomorrow I will be setting-up My brand new CS-2's.

If they perform as expected, and your investigations regarding modding the digital X-over shows promise, add me to the list of interested audiophools.

Dave

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2008, 05:24 am »
Thanks guys, that is enough for me to start working on it.  I am not planning a horribly expensive mod as it just wouldn't make sense, given the price-point of the unit and the value that it represents.  However, I do believe that we can make it SIGNIFICANTLY better without breaking the bank.

Please stay tuned....

Thanks again for ALL of your support guys!

Dan W.
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

gandee

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2008, 06:01 am »
Definitely interested in the DCX mod!  Others are doing it but you have the credibility.  I am using the DCX with VMPS as this is a package Brian is now selling for bi-amping.  There is a lot of momentum around this unit and it would open up a lot of avenues for room EQ and adjustment.  Bring it on!

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2008, 03:08 am »
Thanks, I appreciate that.  I didn't really know how much the DCS unit was used beyond the CS2 application.  It is very versatile and offers great possibilities.

Dan W.

tdangelo

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2008, 02:25 pm »
very interested!  I'm going to use mine with the Innersound Kaya speakers.

Thanks
Tony

CometCKO

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jul 2008, 04:02 am »
Hi Dan,
I'm also considering these speakers, and would definitely buy your mod if I do.  Love my Modwright Transporter!

Frank

hmen

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:34 pm »
Dan,
 I just bought a pair of wyred4sound monos (on your reccomendation) to bi-amp my RM40's. I'm definitely interested in this mod. I think tubed output would be great, especially on the top end.

Howard

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jul 2008, 01:03 am »
Hmen,

That is what I thought - that the top end would benefit most.  It just seems logical.

However, after testing a quality tube buffer on both the top end and low end, I definitely favor it on the bottom.  I will be writing more on this after more listening.

Note: used tube buffer between the DCX and amp.  Results partially could be due to class A SS amp on top and ICE amp on bottom.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2008, 03:24 pm »
I am now approaching 500 hours on my CS-2's with about half of that powered by a Wyred 4 Sound multi-channel (125 X 2, 250 X 2), and the best description is WOW.

Last week I was in Texas on business and had a chance to listen to the top-of-the-line B&W's and TAD.  For about 3 hours I went back and forth between listening rooms with the owner of the shop (it was a slow day for him and he is a great guy, very knowledgeable) comparing different types of music, volume, etc.  The TAD's were hands down better for clarity and detail retrieval than the B&W's but, when I got home and had a listen to my EP's I was very very happy with my speakers.  To my ears the EP's bettered both of the others at +/- 10% of the cost!  No BS, that is what I heard.

For those interested, the B&W were powered by McIntosh (pre and power) and the TAD's had an all Bel Canto e.One front end.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2008, 03:51 pm »
Clarification:

The 10% obvioulsy includes amps, pre-amps, cables, etc.  Sorry if there was any confusion.

Dave

jwes

« Reply #30 on: 20 Aug 2008, 05:08 pm »
Does anybody have experience taking the digital out of the Transporter directly into the Behringer unit of the Emerald Physics CS2?  I know this is possible, but curious how this would sound.  It would take advantage of Dan's Power supply upgrade, but would miss the benefit of the tubed output stage...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2008, 09:22 pm »
Does anybody have experience taking the digital out of the Transporter directly into the Behringer unit of the Emerald Physics CS2?  I know this is possible, but curious how this would sound.  It would take advantage of Dan's Power supply upgrade, but would miss the benefit of the tubed output stage...

I can see about trying this when I get my CS2's back into the main system this weekend.

My DCX is heavily modified and sounds very good, but I will be shocked if the digital feed from my Transporter sounds better than an analog feed (even with the extra A/D/A conversions).

George
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2008, 10:30 pm by zybar »

jwes

« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2008, 09:38 pm »

I can see about trying this when I get my CS2's back into the main system this weekend.

My DCX is heavily modified and sounds very good, but I will be shocked if the digital feed from my Transporter sounds better than an analog feed (if with the extra A/D/A conversions).

George

Hi George,

Thanks for looking into this.  It's just a curiosity in the realm of simplification.  I know the gain in the DCX can be adjusted to make up for lack of amplification.  It seems that the chain would go from (Dac in transporter to analog output stage to preamp to amp to DCX for A to D, back to D to A to speakers) to instead Digital out in TP to Dac in DCX to speakers.  Probably not as good, but you have to wonder when radically simplifying if there are benefits to be had...  Look forward to hearing after the weekend!   :P

Syrah

« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2009, 02:46 pm »
I hate to join the chorus so late, but I'd be interested in Dan's modded DCX as well.  I'm using a DBX Driverack PA now.  Any ideas as to how a modded DCX would stack up to a stock PA?  Has anyone considered modding the PA, or maybe the Ashly instead of the DCX?

Thanks.

PLMONROE

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2009, 04:49 pm »

My DCX is heavily modified and sounds very good, but I will be shocked if the digital feed from my Transporter sounds better than an analog feed (even with the extra A/D/A conversions).

George

George did you ever try this and if so what were your impressions?

Paul

modwright

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2009, 08:13 pm »
Hi guys, I apologize for not responding more here, but I honestly haven't made much progress on this front.  I AM told however, that Cullen Circuits HAS a great mod for this unit already and I would contact Underwood HiFi to find out more.

Thanks,

Dan