CDP crappin' out,might have to start looking for replacement soon !!

Double Ugly

:D  thks,980 oppo sounds like it's the 1 .... :D

Yeah, I don't know how much better you could do for $169.  :wink:

jhm731

2bigears

:D  just sent Oppo cash for a 980 that will spin for a little PS Audio DL-3 Cullen mod4 dac.hummm,hope this all works o.k.buying new sucks,but doing my part to keep the economy rollin'.... :lol:

Double Ugly

:D  just sent Oppo cash for a 980 that will spin for a little PS Audio DL-3 Cullen mod4 dac.hummm,hope this all works o.k.buying new sucks,but doing my part to keep the economy rollin'.... :lol:

Like I said, Pat, I don't think you'll get better for what you paid. 

$169?  That ought to take the sting outta not buying used, doncha think?  :wink:

2bigears

:D  hi Jim,the Oppo is a good buy,that thing plays anything you slap in her.that dang dac cost me too much....this stuff better sound o.k. !!!! :D

sbrtoy

The stock DAC3 is a really nice sounding unit for $995, and from what I have heard the Cullen mods take it a step further allowing it to compete with DAC's at $5k and up...be sure to post your impressions once you get it burned in.

2bigears

:D Oppo is in the house and waiting on the dac. silly question here,but which output do i run into the dac ???? is it the optical....guess i need to buy a cable if it is,thks   :D

sbrtoy

Most prefer the coaxial input over the toslink, you can use an RCA but a 75ohm digital cable will work better.

2bigears

:D  sbrtoy,thks,but is there a clear winner or is the coaxial or the optical connection better ????so sorry,as i have not done this before.is a digital cable quality important or are they kinda all the same as glass is glass?? thks  :D

sbrtoy

Toslink is optical which is glass, coaxial is a normal cable with a copper or silver conductor.  Many prefer coaxial's sound, and a good cable that is true 75 ohms can help as well...

NewBuyer

Always had better luck with toslink, but only if it is actually glass. Certainly not all toslink cables are glass (for instance, many are plastic). The ones that are glass will advertise themselves as such, rather prominently - and usually cost a little bit more too.