Has anyone here used Rives Audio?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Has anyone here used Rives Audio?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2008, 04:43 pm »
I am about to return to the states from overseas and I think I have saved enough to splurge on the Rives Audio Level II treatment.  We just bought a house and there is a dedicated Theater room built into the finished basement. 

I was wondering what folks' experiences were working with the company and what I should keep in mind when working with them.  How long will the design process take?  I have the second half of July and the entire month of August scheduled for leave and hope they would be able to have it done by then. 

Any tips/suggestions/advice before I take the plunge?

You might be better served to ask questions about what Rives Audio has to offer over at Audio Asylum where Rives has a forum and where you're more likely to run into folks who have done business with these folks. Talking to actual Rives customers is the only way you'll get a feel of what Rives has to offer, be that good or bad,,,,,,, IMHO.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

audioferret

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2008, 05:55 pm »
Satfrat - Good suggestion, I will have to check over there. 

On another question, if I want to try to design it myself, what is the best way to educate myself on the proper design process?  I have a mechanical engineering background, so I am used to designing to a performance goal. 

IOW: If I want to achieve a proper RT60 and noise floor (my two key parameters - that I am aware of), can I calculate the changes that need to be made without special equipment?  How do I get a list of the proper building materials to work with for hanging drywall, insulation, and other fixtures?

Where do I start?  (I need to talk to Big Red Machine...)

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2008, 03:09 pm »
if I want to try to design it myself, what is the best way to educate myself on the proper design process?

If you're willing to put in the effort, this book is a great resource:

Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros
www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598630342/002-5726990-8501645?n=283155

--Ethan

audioferret

« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2008, 05:37 pm »
I think that is what I am looking for!  Gotta love amazon. 

Yes, I will definitely put forth the effort.  I enjoy the research process - maybe that is why I am a law student. 

Checking Amazon now...

audioferret

« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2008, 05:47 pm »
As a companion book, it is worth getting the Master Handbook of Acoustics, by F. Alton Everest?  It looks like it focuses on the science of acoustics whereas the former focuses on application.  Would the books be redundant, or do you think they would complement each other?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Handbook-Acoustics-Alton-Everest/dp/0071360972/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2008, 06:39 pm »
The Everest book is definitely worth having. 

Bryan

audioferret

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2008, 05:33 pm »
I like! 

I have ordered both books.

I am really interested in the science of this and figure both will make good additions to my library.  (My wife and I have an entire room dedicated to nothing but books- floor to ceiling bookcases in the future...)

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2008, 06:28 pm »
The Everest book is definitely worth having. 

Bryan

A very good resource.  Unfortunately I can't locate my copy at the moment.  I've moved several times for work over the last couple years and a few things are MIA.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2008, 06:40 pm »
You'll probably find it either:

- the next time you move
or
- the day after you order a new copy

:duh:

Bryan

audioferret

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:22 pm »
The books just came in - they are perfect.

One answers my theoretical questions and the other, the practical.  My night-stand reading is pretty much filled for the next month...after an initial review, these are highly recommended for anyone interested in the science of audio.

:D

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2008, 05:28 am »
Another book you might consider is "Premium Home Theater:  Design and Construction", by Earl Geddes.   If you're doing a two-channel system, then just skip the video chapters. 

http://www.gedlee.com/Home_theatre.htm

Earl has been studying small room acoustics for about thirty years, and he is very good at focusing on what matters and not wasting time and money on what doesn't matter. 

Duke

ndeslions

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2008, 04:23 pm »
I owned a PARC.
It can be very interesting i think if you have big room modes in the bass and can't limit the problem with speaker or auditor placement.
In my house moving the speakers helped a lot, the bass was still a bit better with the PARC but unfortunately it's not 100% transparent in the meds and highs.
So i finally sold it.

Now i'm thinking again about room correction ( bass only, i have EB panels for meds and highs ), with all the audio servers out there, there's certainly a lot of things to do, playing with brutefir and a slimdevices transporter or SB3 for example...

audioferret

« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2008, 06:04 pm »
I use the AV-123 RDES for frequencies below 100 Hz.  It works beautifully.  I get excellent, transparant bass correction with it.