Opinions on the best preamp under $600

8thnerve

« on: 12 Oct 2003, 08:37 pm »
What would you qualify as the best Preamps under $600 that are NOT sold factory direct?  I know many names have passed through here in the past, but what are your favorites under that magic $600 mark?

Sa-dono

« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2003, 08:57 pm »
Do you only want this to be new, or do preamps based on used prices qualify as well?

_scotty_

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2003, 02:48 am »
Thats easy the Superphon Dual Mono Revelation Basic and the Revelation II. But they are used and sometimes hard to find. I haven't a clue about gear that is any newer. I've been building my own too long.

8thnerve

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2003, 12:59 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
Do you only want this to be new, or do preamps based on used prices qualify as well?

Sorry, new prices.  I am interested in what manufacturers can do in that $600 retail budget.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2003, 01:54 pm »
Quote from: _scotty_
Thats easy the Superphon Dual Mono Revelation Basic and the Revelation II. But they are used and sometimes hard to find. I haven't a clue about gear that is any newer. I've been building my own too long.

Are you a Stan Warren groupie??? :D

Was Stan responsible for ALL the Superphon stuff???

earlmarc

Preamps under $600
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2003, 01:55 pm »
I can only come up with four preamps that meet your request:
1. B&K PT-5
2. Rotel RC-1070
3. Parasound PHP-850
4. Cayin Audio170 SS

I believe the Rotel and Cayin are the best of this group.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2003, 03:27 pm »
I haven't heard any retail products in this price range that were any good but I would seriously investigate the Cayin if I were to go that route. There initial feedback from owners and pricing seem to be very enticing.

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2003, 03:54 pm »
How about Creek, ADCOM, Antique Sound Labs and NAD?  I'm sure there are more out there.

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2003, 04:58 pm »
If diy qualifies, the kits for the Bottlehead Foreplay have an enthusiastic almost fanatical following.

Jumpin

Preamp Recommendation
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2003, 05:11 pm »
Lloyd makes fantastic values at Mapletree.
I'm currently using the Ultra 4A <$500 with power
supply.  

Jumpin

8thnerve

Re: Preamps under $600
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:19 pm »
Quote from: earlmarc
I can only come up with four preamps that meet your request:
1. B&K PT-5
2. Rotel RC-1070
3. Parasound PHP-850
4. Cayin Audio170 SS

I believe the Rotel and Cayin are the best of this group.

I would not consider the parasound, or the B&K, best by any definition of the word. :-)  I have heard good things about the Cayin, that may be a candidate.

Thanks.

8thnerve

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:20 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy
How about Creek, ADCOM, Antique Sound Labs and NAD?  I'm sure there are more out there.

You think these are all the best?

I have not heard any pieces from any of these manufacturers that compete for the best under $600.  Am I missing some jems?

8thnerve

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:36 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I haven't heard any retail products in this price range that were any good but I would seriously investigate the Cayin if I were to go that route. There initial feedback from owners and pricing seem to be very enticing.

Is Cayin Audio www.cayin.com?  This gear looks expensive and it is in German.

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:40 pm »
I don't think you will find many at that price point that sell through dealers.  If mfg costs were $200 the mfg may sell for 300, then the dealer will list at $600.  At this price point I think the best pre's are mfg. direct.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2003, 06:55 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve

Is Cayin Audio www.cayin.com?  This gear looks expensive and it is in German.

Try http://www.thetunerguy.com/new_cayin.html
for a $695 preamp. Not many details, but a pretty picture.

BradJudy

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2003, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: 8thnerve

You think these are all the best?

I have not heard any pieces from any of these manufacturers that compete for the best under $600.  Am I missing some jems?

Sorry - I thought you were looking for an exhaustive list to get a feel for that marketplace.  

Since the Tuner Guy website was linked, what about the Radii gear?  Wayne seemed pretty psyched about it, although Bolder doesn't seem to sell the cheaper pre-amp that TunerGuy sells.

maxwalrath

direct seller option...
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2003, 09:11 pm »
I just switched from an integrated to separates for the first time, so I'm no expert, but the pre/power Van Alstine combo I have now really doesn't lose much to my more expensive integrated. They sell direct and there seems to be a very loyal following for their gear....audioreview.com and the reviews from the avahifi.com website are all glowing as well, and they sell direct to the consumer.

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2003, 12:34 am »
Why would anyone *not* buy factory-direct when that's where the best value is? Why don't you buy one of the IRD preamps and see how it is?

8thnerve

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2003, 12:28 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
Why would anyone *not* buy factory-direct when that's where the best value is? Why don't you buy one of the IRD preamps and see how it is?

Well, because I am a dealer.  I need to be able to sell the products that I use and hold in high esteem.  I do often make exceptions for equipment that is just fantastic that I cannot sell like the Chris Own Ack! DAC.  However, I would like to find a $600ish pre-amp to recommend and provide to customers that are looking for a pre-amp in that range.  All the pre-amps that I have access to now at that price don't quite cut it IMHO.

The Cayin piece looks VERY nice.  Who is the US distributor?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2003, 07:19 pm »
i'd check out this - this mfr has gotten lotsa good feedback lately:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3052981991&category=14974

and this:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1071308832&class&3&4&

i'd also have to strongly consider the $500 dodd audio unit - if it really is the same circuit as used in the $4k melos ma333, it has to be far and away the best deal for anywhere near the money, imo...  of course, i am biased - i tink my m.a.r. upgraded melos music director is as good as it gets for preamps!   :)

doug s.