In response to the AV123 X-Statik thread...

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: In response to the AV123 X-Statik thread...
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2008, 01:08 am »
So, where is ro7939's reply to Danny's latest?

geekinthehood

« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2008, 05:29 pm »

Does it really matter?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2008, 05:56 pm »

Probably right where it belongs,,,,  :roll:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2008, 06:17 pm »
Where's the censorship when you need it?

Maybe we need to have some guidance as to what are appropriate questions and answers. 
Or maybe it's time for some folks here to take their Midol. :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2008, 06:28 pm »
Where's the censorship when you need it?

Maybe we need to have some guidance as to what are appropriate questions and answers. 
Or maybe it's time for some folks here to take their Midol. :lol:

Or in some cases, it's more like Exlax and the Wastebin.  :green:

Bigfish

« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2008, 06:35 pm »
Yea, it is a three way speaker with open baffle MTM section, good quality crossover parts, really high quality drivers, and it even has some Gen.2 Sonicaps in there. Then it starts out at only $699 a pair. For $799 a pair they offer some really good looking finishes on them too. That is pretty unbelievable.

Danny:

They are certainly attractive to look at and I hope I have the opportunity to hear a pair.  I am sure they will be a great hit in the market!

Ken

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 30 Mar 2008, 06:39 pm »
Danny, I echo Bigfish's sentiments.  :drool: What finishes are available at this price and if other exotic finishes are available, what are they and how much extra? Thank you.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2008, 07:11 pm »
I am not really worried to much about ro7939's comments. I have to expect that. Anytime anybody does well at anything there will always be someone to try and bring them down.

What finishes are available at this price and if other exotic finishes are available, what are they and how much extra?

There are quite a few finishes available. Check them out here:

http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=176&category_id=21&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

tanchiro58

« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2008, 07:39 pm »
I am not really worried to much about ro7939's comments. I have to expect that. Anytime anybody does well at anything there will always be someone to try and bring them down.

What finishes are available at this price and if other exotic finishes are available, what are they and how much extra?

There are quite a few finishes available. Check them out here:

http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=176&category_id=21&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

Agreed.

I am interested in purchasing these open baffle speakers for my living room. It is a super bargain!!! Thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 30 Mar 2008, 07:41 pm »
Thanks Danny,

Backordered already? Damn sam,, that didn't take very long.  :lol: I'm surprised the standard finishes like maple or oak aren't offerred,,, maybe that's the price for having a south american product?  :dunno: I'm an oak man myself but I gotta say that grain in the moho satin is damn sharp.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 30 Mar 2008, 11:04 pm »
Check out the pics here: http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=25972

Some of these are during early development and prototype stages but they still look really good. Also take note of the back side of the open baffle section.  :thumb:

These speakers will be a huge home run hit.

Brucemck

« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:34 pm »

How would they compare with your O-3s or with the OB5s?  Pros/cons of the three choices?

kevb

« Reply #32 on: 5 Apr 2008, 06:37 pm »
Hi Danny,

Looks like a home run hit for sure!  Do you think these would work OK with an 8-9 SET 300B setup for modest levels?

kevb

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 5 Apr 2008, 07:51 pm »
Yes

Skiman

« Reply #34 on: 17 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm »
In the May issue of Home Theater magazine the Usher Be-718 speakers are given a very nice review by Mark Fleischmann. They quote Usher's 'global design policy':

"...Next, Texas-based Danny Richie, chief designer at consulting firm GR Research, hotrods the standard Be-718 for the U.S. market. Danny re-engineers the entire crossover, selects premium U.S. crossover parts, adjusts the speaker's baffle step compensation, and improves vertical off-axis dispersion. Finally, all internal wiring is replaced with premium wire from JPS Labs."

Also, they are also reviewed in the May issue of Stereophile by Wes Phillips, with a slightly different explanation:

"The crossover, designed by Tsai Lien-Shui and tweaked for American ears by Joe D'Appolito, is specced by Danny Richie of GR Research, who stuffed it with Sonicaps, Mills resistors, and various goodies from Erse: polypropylene capacitors and high-purity, oxygene-free, copper air-core inductors. All internal wiring is from JPS Labs, and is designed, I'm told by Usher's PR guru, Jonathan Scull, specifically for the Be-718."

Hopefully, this will help clear up just what, in fact, Danny did actually do to the Usher Be-718.

O.K. back to the X-Statik.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2008, 10:56 pm by Skiman »

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:39 pm »
Yea, the Home Theater magazine guys got it right but the Stereophile guys blew it on the facts. MusikMatters called and e-mailed in a correction to Stereophile but it looks like it was to no avail. At least both were really good reviews.

Chops

« Reply #36 on: 7 May 2008, 02:58 am »
A little late to the game, but just thought I would mention that coming this very Thursday to me is a nice new pair of Cherry Satin X-Statik's!  :drool: :thumb:

As you know Danny, a short while back I thought very seriously about going with one of your kits, either the OB-5 or OB-7, or even doing my own version of the LS6/LS9's. But since I have very limited wood working skills, and even more limited working space, I had no real choice but to try going with "pre-built" speakers. As I said a while back as well, there's really not much out there that appeals to me from anyone, at least not in my price range. I considered many, almost bought several different brands/models, and did eventually buy one pair of Monitor Audio's. They lasted in my system only a little over a month.

Anyway, the more I thought about it and the more I looked at them, I decided on going with the x-statik's. They basically fall in between your OB-5 and OB-7's. They use two drivers for the bass section like the 5's, but are sealed like the 7's. I can definately live with that, and they do look excellent, just like your kits! However, your kits use much better parts in the crossovers.

I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking as they are strictly out of curiosity...

1) I assume the x-statik's use the same M165X drivers that you offer?
2) If later on down the road I wanted to do some tweaking, would there be a significant improvement in upgrading the caps in the crossovers to matched pairs of Mundorf, Hovland, Solen, etc, etc caps? What about those 1% Dayton metallized polypropylene caps? Hey, anything to get a little extra detail out of the music!  aa

On a side note, I am really looking forward to the x-statik's arriving. Thursday just can't get here soon enough!

Many thanks in advance!

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #37 on: 7 May 2008, 03:35 am »
Glad your excited

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 7 May 2008, 03:47 am »
1) I assume the x-statik's use the same M165X drivers that you offer?

Nope, the M-165X is completely different.

They do share the same frame, cone material and dust cap though.

2) If later on down the road I wanted to do some tweaking, would there be a significant improvement in upgrading the caps in the crossovers to matched pairs of Mundorf, Hovland

I wouldn't go Mundorf or Hovlands but some Sonicaps would be a nice step up in performance.

Solen, etc, etc caps? What about those 1% Dayton metallized polypropylene caps?

The caps that come in the speakers are as good or better than those.

On a side note, I am really looking forward to the x-statik's arriving. Thursday just can't get here soon enough!

You'll love them. Feel free to post pics and feedback once you get them good and burned in.

Chops

« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2008, 04:01 am »
Nope, the M-165X is completely different.

They do share the same frame, cone material and dust cap though.

I kind of figured as much. I imagine they don't use the xbl motors either then. Again, just curious. Just call me Curious George. LOL

Sonicaps would be a nice step up in performance.

Noted! If and when the time comes, I'll have to ask you where to get them.  :wink:

The caps that come in the speakers are as good or better than those.

Ahh... I would just be spinning my wheels at that point then. Time/money wasted.

You'll love them. Feel free to post pics and feedback once you get them good and burned in.

I'm sure I will love them. And according to the tracking info, they are already in the next town over, so they just might arrive a day early! WOO-HOO!!!! Don't worry, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's taking plenty of pictures, posting them and talking a lot about things I love!