Time to build a new audio PC recs please

WGH

Re: Time to build a new audio PC recs please
« Reply #60 on: 29 Apr 2008, 03:22 pm »
The processors can heat up pretty quickly, a couple of seconds at the most. I would expect it to post too but the new chips have all sorts of fail safes built in.

Pulling out the battery will clear the BIOS so all the setting will have to be re-done.

The motherboard still has power even with the computer turned off, mine has a glowing LED, so be sure to unplug from the wall before sticking your hands inside, unplugging and plugging in parts.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #61 on: 29 Apr 2008, 03:25 pm »
And make sure to grab the power supply and something that's running to ground before you reach in there.  This time of year it shouldn't be bad but static can kill a PC in a heartbeat.

Bryan

sts9fan

« Reply #62 on: 29 Apr 2008, 03:32 pm »
Yeah I always discharge.  I removed the battery yesterday and nothing changed. 

sts9fan

« Reply #63 on: 12 May 2008, 02:50 pm »
So quick update.  Sent the pc with my father to his business for some of his techs to look at.  They believe it is a bad Mobo.  I contacted Mwave and they said send it back and we will test it if it is ok we will send it back.  That was not really good enough because I know it is bad.  Plus I threw away all the packing because it was up and running.  So with a bit of prodding they are cross shipping me a new Mobo + chip and RAM.  They did not want to send the whole bundle but I wanted it all because that is what I bought.  So although it took some work they are sending it all out today.  Once I get it I will send the old one back with the new packing. 

Kris

JEaton

« Reply #64 on: 12 May 2008, 10:59 pm »
Well, you don't exactly know it's the motherboard.  Some "tech" in an IT department suggested it may be the motherboard.  Unless they tested the CPU and memory in another, known working machine, then it's just a guess, because they certainly have no diagnostic equipment to evaluate hardware at that level.

Did you actually power up the motherboard with the CPU installed, but no CPU heatsink?  A few seconds is all it would take to trash the typical CPU in that scenario.  Did you mention this to the folks at mWave?

Always keep packaging for at least as long an item's warranty.  After 15-30 days (depending on the vendor's policy) you'll have to deal with the manufacturer for any warranty issues.  And not many of them will cross-ship.  It's also handy to have when you upgrade components and sell the old ones.

sts9fan

« Reply #65 on: 13 May 2008, 12:12 am »
Well, you don't exactly know it's the motherboard.  Some "tech" in an IT department suggested it may be the motherboard.  Unless they tested the CPU and memory in another, known working machine, then it's just a guess, because they certainly have no diagnostic equipment to evaluate hardware at that level.

Thanks
Kris
« Last Edit: 13 May 2008, 02:10 am by sts9fan »

sts9fan

« Reply #66 on: 21 May 2008, 03:43 pm »
Well to put a cap on this boring thread.  MWAVE lived up to their rep for excellent customer service.  They shipped out everything and I sent back the BAD MOBO.  Once I plugged in all the new stuff.  It work perfectly the first time.  Nice.
Thanks for all the help.
Kris

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #67 on: 21 May 2008, 04:46 pm »
Great.  Glad you finally got everything sorted out.  Now back to the music!

Bryan