Maelstrom-X Pre-Order

Kevin Haskins

Maelstrom-X Pre-Order
« on: 25 Mar 2008, 03:21 am »
Its with some reservation that I offer a pre-order.    My policy has always been to have product before offering it for sale.   

I'm making an exception this time for the very simple reason that I need to control inventory of what is looking to become a very popular product.    It takes about 8-12 weeks for me to get a product from my build-house from the time I place an order.    From the early response to the Maelstrom-X, it is very likely that my first order could be sold-out before it even gets to my warehouse.    Rather than get into an immediate backorder situation the pre-order gives me some REAL feedback on how many people actually will purchase a unit, and lets me get ahead of the backorder situation by placing a second order before the first one arrives if necessary.   

Once the Maelstrom-X is landed and in normal inventory the price is going to be $349 each.    For those willing to give us an order up-front we are offering a $50 discount for taking the leap-of-faith needed for a new product.    If your not comfortable taking that leap, by all means please do not pre-order the product.    They will be in stock soon enough and even if we have short periods of backorder status, they will be available without shortage at some point.   

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=681

Kevin Haskins

Re: Maelstrom-X Pre-Order
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2008, 04:09 pm »
Oh... a note on this.   The Pre-Order is good only until April 10th.    If you order after that it does me no good in planning for the next order.   

Larry McConville

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2008, 02:47 am »
WooHoo; I'm officially in for four units!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:14 am »
One more week on the Maelstrom-X pre-order.     After that it goes up to the $349 + shipping.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2008, 05:28 pm »
I've been asked about physical dimensions:

These are all based upon a drawing.   Don't cut wood until you have the final product.   I'll take measurements and cut holes when I have the real thing in my hands.  Until then....

OD:  18.2"
Cut-out:  16.7"

Depth:  10" from front of basket to back of motor.

Shipping Weight:  Best guess  60-65lbs.   

Oh... time is ticking.   Just 24 more hours on the pre-order.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2008, 03:34 pm »
This is it.... final day to get in on the pre-order.

robseyes

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:21 pm »
I'm in for 2! I can't wait! Now I just have to figure out what I want to power them with.   :D

Larry McConville

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2008, 10:41 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Do you have any updates as to how far along in the mfg process the first batch is?

Regards,

Larry

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2008, 04:52 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Do you have any updates as to how far along in the mfg process the first batch is?

Regards,

Larry

The latest update I had pushed back shipping to May 8th.    We are a little behind the curve but this is the first production run for this item so that isn't a surprise.

Assuming they go on the boat the 8th, we would have them in port around the 23rd and clearing customs the following week after Memorial Day.   

I'm going to be at VSAC 2008 over Memorial Day weekend so that isn't great timing for me but such is life.   

Larry McConville

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2008, 03:41 am »
I noticed this thread had slipped down to the middle of the page and thought I'd better bump it back to the top :D

Larry McConville

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:49 pm »
Morning Kevin,

Have the units made it to you yet? Any group photos available :)

Larry

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2008, 03:54 pm »
They are here.   I'm getting some pallet rack setup today because I'm just out of space.   I'll be working late and into Saturday and I hope to get measurements, pictures and some web development done but first priority is getting everything situated in the warehouse and getting it all organized.

Order will ship on Monday/Tuesday.   

Larry McConville

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2008, 04:29 pm »
Good news indeed Kevin, I wish I were close enough to lend you a hand.

Regards,

Larry

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2008, 03:39 pm »
I could have used you Larry.    I put up the entire warehouse, with 12' uprights, 96" beams all by myself.   Since we have earthquakes around here I bought the seismic version of the uprights which has a bigger baseplate.   Its a good thing, the others would never have stood on their own without bolts and I'd have needed to recruit a helper to hold them while I got a beam or two in place.   

Larry McConville

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2008, 10:19 pm »
Kevin,

I'm curious to 'hear' your findings per your listening/measuring session; additionally, take a couple shots for us poor country folk.

Regards,

Larry

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:02 pm »
Larry,

No time to listen to anything yet.   I've done some T/S measurements to confirm parameters but mainly I've been getting the warehouse whipped into shape and all the pre-order drivers shipped.

Here is the pile and growing.   So far about 1800lbs of woofers, the DHL man is going to be thrilled.   :lol:

Here is the Maelstrom in the jig.   All the measurements coming right in where they are supposed to be.    This thing makes the Tempest look like a small driver and under full power the beast is pumping some serious air. 

Larry McConville

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:16 pm »
I love it!!!

A bit of unfortunate news on my part; we experienced severe thunderstorms in KC last Tuesday night. I awakened Wednesday morning to find my basement flooded; insurance lady said “Sorry, but you don’t have sump pump coverage listed on your policy.” Big sigh here. We recently finished an HT area; of course we have no history of previous water problems. Among my losses are a 65” Mits RPTV and my treo of GR OB-7’s (Denny CNC’d cabinets…). My kids gaming consoles are history too.

I’m merely whining a little to my fellow enthusiasts.

Net effect; it will be a while before I get to run these guys through the paces…

Regards,

Larry

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2008, 06:22 pm »
I love it!!!

A bit of unfortunate news on my part; we experienced severe thunderstorms in KC last Tuesday night. I awakened Wednesday morning to find my basement flooded; insurance lady said “Sorry, but you don’t have sump pump coverage listed on your policy.” Big sigh here. We recently finished an HT area; of course we have no history of previous water problems. Among my losses are a 65” Mits RPTV and my treo of GR OB-7’s (Denny CNC’d cabinets…). My kids gaming consoles are history too.

I’m merely whining a little to my fellow enthusiasts.

Net effect; it will be a while before I get to run these guys through the paces…

Regards,

Larry

Arg!   I feel for you brother...we had some serious wind damage over the last few years. 

I had seen the flooding in Indiana on the news over the weekend.    I'm sorry that it has claimed your toy room.    :(

Larry McConville

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2008, 09:15 pm »
The Four Horsemen have arrived :thumb:

There are a couple quick pics in my gallery.

btw - Kevin, these are some very quiet drivers; I was running 10-20Hz sine waves through each unit sequentially - not a noise one!
This guy may be applicable for crazy OB installs too.

Larry
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2008, 11:53 pm by Larry McConville »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2008, 04:12 pm »
The Four Horsemen have arrived :thumb:

There are a couple quick pics in my gallery.

btw - Kevin, these are some very quiet drivers; I was running 10-20Hz sine waves through each unit sequentially - not a noise one!
This guy may be applicable for crazy OB installs too.

Larry

Yea... in free air it is extremely low noise, one of the best I've ever tested in that regard.    It doesn't really start to squawk unless you are near the mechanical limits of the driver.   That took me both channels of the F1200-TS bridged in free-air.    I don't have an exact voltage but it is a LOT of power (>1500W) and plenty of excursion & air movement at that point.

It is also nearly impossible to force it into a VC rub.   The cone/suspension alignment makes rocking a non-issue.   Try pushing on one side of the cone while that baby is pumping.