Bybee Nitro AC Power Cords

Turk

« on: 11 Oct 2003, 02:55 pm »
Just received a pair of the 11 gauge Bybee Nitro AC cords with Furutech connectors from Wayne for my JC-1s.  My Got, the bass     :D   The Parasounds have excellent bass IMHO, but I am floored by what the AC cords did.  Mid bass is superb,  some of the low bass is restored in my less than optimum room.  The other benifits include blacker background and increased dynamics to the point of where as the volume increases the sound seems to not lose its cohesiveness until the police show up.

I have been using a variety of the highly rated DIY power cords in addition to Pure Note Sigmas and lower priced Audio Magic.  They are good for the money, but this cord is in a different class.

Can't speak to tubes, but if you have hi power, high quality transistors I can say these are worth the money.  Impressive

guest1632

Re: Bybee Nitro AC Power Cords
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2003, 05:31 am »
Quote from: Turk
Just received a pair of the 11 gauge Bybee Nitro AC cords with Furutech connectors from Wayne for my JC-1s.  My Got, the bass     :D   The Parasounds have excellent bass IMHO, but I am floored by what the AC cords did.  Mid bass is superb,  some of the low bass is restored in my less than optimum room.  The other benifits include blacker background and increased dynamics to the point of where as the volume increases the sound seems to not lose its cohesiveness until the police show up.

I have been using  ...

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2003, 01:47 pm »
The Bybee NITRO Plus power cables that Turk has, sell for $600.00 each.

I can build the cable without the IEC end for $40.00 less. That would be a custom product and not be returnable.

If Mr. Van Alstine does not care to install the cable on his amp, I would be willing to do so. You would have to contact Mr. Van Alstine to see what would happen to the warranty if you were to have someone else work on the amp.

I also modified Turk's Monster Cable HTS-7700 power center. I used the same NITRO Plus power cord connected internally. I replaced all of the internal wiring. I replaced three of the outlets (the ones for the balanced power circuits) and installed six Bybees :o

It does need a bit if break-in but I feel it made a major improvement of the sound.

I have been fairly busy with mods of this nature. I also did a few changes to a Hagerman Cornet that Marbles (Ribbons, Dribbles?  :wink:) bought off of A'gon. I added a pair of Bybees on the input and installed a pair of S&B TX103 step-up transformers, added the Constant Current mod and changed out the wiring to Bolder.

If there happens to be a product that you have that you would like some mods on, please contact me by PM or e-mail. I do think that the Van Alstine gear would benefit from internal wiring changes, but you do have to weigh the possible improvement against the loss of warranty coverage.

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2003, 02:55 pm »
11 gauge?   :o   Is the 14 gauge Nitro wiring doubled up in the Nitro Plus?

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2003, 03:08 pm »
Jay,

More or less. It comes out to 11.5 AWG. The standard NITRO power cable used one 14 AWG wire each for hot and neutral. The NITRO Plus has four total arranged in a Star Quad geometry with a 12 AWG wire cross wrapped around the bundle. The whole group of wires is then covered in white heatshrink and then covered with Tech-Flex.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2003, 06:30 pm »
Looks like the super-Nitro is able to compete in the "my power cord is bigger than your power cord" game :-D  11.5 guage - damn, that's a lot of metal  :!:

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2003, 06:37 pm »
It IS what YOU need to be installed on your AVA amp :)

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2003, 01:37 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
I have been fairly busy with mods of this nature. I also did a few changes to a Hagerman Cornet that Marbles (Ribbons, Dribbles? ) bought off of A'gon. I added a pair of Bybees on the input and installed a pair of S&B TX103 step-up transformers, added the Constant Current mod and changed out the wiring to Bolder.

I'm playing the Cornet now on my new RM40's and it sounds wonderful!

It is clear that the Cornet has lifted my analog rig above my digital rig.

Freaking incredible!  Thanks Wayne

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2003, 04:32 am »
I was going to ask how you liked your Cornet. They do sound very nice, I'm sure especially nice being fed by your Teres/SL rig. :)

Mike G.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2003, 09:57 am »
Installing a differnt power cord on one of our products will not void the waranty as long as a three wire cord is not installed replacing a two wire cord, the new cord is safely connected to the correct internal terminations, internal fuses and transient surge absorbers are not bypassed, and that user safety is not compromised. Think before you start hacking.

Installing a different power cord, or any modifications at all, will of course void the 30 day satisfaction return guarantee, and the warranty will not cover the cost to remove or repair after-market modifications, or their consequences.

Note that making after-market changes to any of our products may make the cost of a future AVA factory upgrade more expensive or impossible, and have a negative impact on future market value. We don't own a hole undriller.

Frank Van Alstine

guest1632

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2003, 12:07 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Installing a differnt power cord on one of our products will not void the waranty as long as a three wire cord is not installed replacing a two wire cord, the new cord is safely connected to the correct internal terminations, internal fuses and transient surge absorbers are not bypassed, and that user safety is not compromised. Think before you start hacking.

Installing a different power cord, or any modifications at all, will of course void the 30 day satisfaction return guarantee, and the warranty will ...

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2003, 03:35 pm »
Thank you very much for your comments, Mr. Van Alstine.

I am very encouraged that replacing the power cable will not void your warranty.

Ray,

I would not suggest the installation of an IEC. Mr. Van Alstine designs his gear with a two wire power cable connected diredt inside the amp for a certain reason. Adding another connection to the current path would just be a step back in sonics. The best connector is no connector. The IEC connectors are not the greatest for sonics. They are there simply for convience. For all the gear I build for myself, I do not use an IEC.

If any people are interested in replacing their power cables on the AVA gear, I will make available a special offer.

For the power amps, I am willing to install a 6 foot Nitro Plus, four conductor (two for hot and two for neutral) 11.5 AWG power cable with a Marinco Hospital Grade AC connector for $300.00 plus shipping.

I am willing to make the same sort of offer for the pre-amps. A 6 foot NITRO 2 conductor power cable (14 AWG) with Marinco Hospital grade connector installed for $150.00 plus shipping.

I will add this to my website shortly.

guest1632

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2003, 01:28 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
Thank you very much for your comments, Mr. Van Alstine.

I am very encouraged that replacing the power cable will not void your warranty.

Ray,

I would not suggest the installation of an IEC. Mr. Van Alstine designs his gear with a two wire power cable connected diredt inside the amp for a certain reason. Adding another connection to the current path would just be a step back in sonics. The best connector is no connector. The IEC connectors are not the greatest for sonics. They are there simply for c ...