slow internet connection

drphoto

slow internet connection
« on: 17 Mar 2008, 02:52 am »
I'm using a Mac G5 connected to the internet via Airport Extreme and a cable modem. Lately the connection has been running really slowly, sometimes down to dialup speed. It's variable...sometimes it's just fine. I communicated w/ the ISP via a chat room and they said there's no problem on their end, that I might be getting 'interference' on my wireless connection. Does this make sense? I've got a high gain antenna on the base station and the signal is at 100%

ISP is Insight broadband.

This is a huge problem, because I have a part time job doing data entry online. Sometimes there is so much latency, I can't get any work done.

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2008, 03:48 am by drphoto »

Crimson

Re: slow internet connection
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2008, 11:47 am »
Lot's of variables involved here, but assuming it's not just one website that's slow try connecting directly to the cable modem with an ethernet cable. If that seems fine, connect to the Extreme with an ethernet cable. If that is fine as well, see if proximity to the Extreme changes connection speeds when connected wirelessly. IME, connectivity hardware either works or doesn't and more often than not slow speeds are ISP-related.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2008, 01:05 am »
Direct connection (ethernet) didn't reveal anything. Can a modem go wonky? Got so bad today I lost the connection entirely.

thanks for your help.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2008, 01:14 am »
Absolutely. I had two modems go bad on me in the past 6-odd years. One just died and the other's wallwart power supply went bad. It's actually a good thing, IMO, to 'upgrade' your modem every other year or so. Each time I've replaced one I noticed a not-so-subtle increase in throughput.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2008, 01:34 am »
Thanks Crimson, I'll get another and see if that solves the problem. Will let you know the outcome if it helps you solve a similar problem in the future.

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2008, 07:59 pm »
New modem seems to have helped, at least for now. Bit of a PIA to getting connected though, because I didn't realize you had to call the ISP and give them the Mac Id of the new device. Guys they won't allow 2 modems on the same account, which makes sense, but I thought it would all be automatic.

Thanks for the advice.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2008, 09:13 pm »
Ok, just in case this helps somone else. I got the new modem installed. Better, but still sluggish. I updated the Airport basestation software, thinking, what the hell, can't hurt.

Whoa! Now I'm cooking w/ gas.....back to those T1 speeds I used to remember. I have the last generation dome shaped base station.

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2008, 10:44 pm »
Ok, just in case this helps somone else. I got the new modem installed. Better, but still sluggish. I updated the Airport basestation software, thinking, what the hell, can't hurt.

Whoa! Now I'm cooking w/ gas.....back to those T1 speeds I used to remember. I have the last generation dome shaped base station.

Glad you're cookin'!