Time Capsule - Thoughts?

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
Re: Time Capsule - Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm »
Hey Crimson are you using an 802.11n card in your Macs? Have you noticed any difference for streaming audio between n and g?

Watson

« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm »
From what I've heard, WPA/WPA2 is more secure than WEP. Adding mac filtering to the mix adds another layer of security.

This is true.  WEP can be cracked open in about two minutes by anyone with a wireless network card that supports packet reinjection.  If you live in an apartment or condo complex with appropriately nerdy young neighbors, WEP may be too tempting for them not to piggyback off of.  WPA is fine.  MAC filtering also always makes sense.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2008, 11:38 pm »
If you have the tools to crack WEP you'll probably have the tools to spoof your MAC address and bypass MAC filtering. But several levels of security are better than none or one.

fortunately a ton of low hanging fruit exists in every neighborhood. Turn on your PC and browse all the wide open networks. It is unreal in some places.

Crimson

« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2008, 01:06 am »
Hey Crimson are you using an 802.11n card in your Macs? Have you noticed any difference for streaming audio between n and g?

Yes and no.  aa

My 'main rig' doesn't use wireless (direct USB with the Airport card disabled), so that's moot.

I have an AppleTV in another system that uses -n, and an Airport Express in yet another that uses -g. Neither experience rebuffering (I have a WDS configured wifi network running at 2.4 GHz) so I can only assume that bandwidth is not an issue when wirelessly streaming to either. It's an all or nothing scenario with no loss in transmission.

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2008, 04:21 am »
Thanks again, guys.

I'm using WPA and MAC filtering, so the network should be relatively secure.