Volex cable query.

DaveX

Volex cable query.
« on: 15 Mar 2008, 03:46 am »
I hope to make up some Volex 17604 power cords for my D200's. Dusty (if your reading this) recommends using Volex 17625 to connect up the XDC-2's, any reason why I can't use Volex 17604 for this purpose. Also I will have to snip off the US wall plugs to fit UK plugs, am I right in saying that the screen is connected at (the wall plug) one end only. I also plan to fit Wattgate's and (for the XDC-2'S) Schurter 320 - C14 male IEC plugs unless you can point me to a better male IEC than the Schurter.

Now I'm confused, I just read somewhere that the stock Volex cords have the screen connected at both ends.  :dunno:

UK In-line

Wattgate

Schurter

« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2008, 04:50 am by DaveX »

HumanMedia

Re: Volex cable query.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2008, 05:24 am »
Your plan is sound.  Yes the prebuilt cables have the shield connected at both ends, due to some US regulation I believe.

Of course floating it at one end is the preferred option if you are re-terminating it.

However - which end should be floated?
Different equipment sounds better with different arrangements.

As a generalization it would seem that to shield a cable from external influences, floating at the IEC end would be best, but if the device radiates any RFI from its power supply, then floating at the wall plug end is best.

However this is just a generalization and different equipment sounds better with one arrangement and not the other. (and despite common practice, many cord/component combinations sound better with shield floated at the wall plug end!)

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2008, 04:21 pm »
We do not recommend floating the ground.
In the D-200, the ground is connected to the chassis (for safety) but not to the audio ground.

markC

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2008, 04:37 pm »
I believe they're talking about floating the mesh shield, not the safety ground. :wink:

DaveX

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2008, 06:04 pm »
We do not recommend floating the ground.
In the D-200, the ground is connected to the chassis (for safety) but not to the audio ground.

So are you saying that the screen should be connected at both ends as in the stock Volex cables.

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2008, 08:06 pm »
The ground wire should eb connected at both ends. The shield should be connected at the end away from the component, so anything picked up drains away from the component itself.

Bob

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2008, 10:22 pm »
The ground wire should eb connected at both ends. The shield should be connected at the end away from the component, so anything picked up drains away from the component itself.

Bob

Bobs reply is correct...but sometimes it can work the other way around depending on components. Unlike interconnects, you can't just reverse their direction, so experimenting takes some work.

On the Volex, I don't know if the foil shield is connected at both ends or not. I've used them on our amplifiers with good results in the past.

HumanMedia

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2008, 12:49 am »
Yes just to reiterate - I wasnt talking about floating ground (which should definitely be connected at both ends), but floating the shield.  And yes the pre-made Volex have the shield connected at both ends, but that is not what you should do if you are re-terminating.