Fun First Project - your thoughts

Danny Richie

Re: Fun First Project - your thoughts
« Reply #80 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:32 am »
Is the kit price for a single speaker or a pair?  Did not see that in the post. 

That's for a pair.

Danny,  I've got CAD files I can send you - put down that pencil.

Now that will be awesome. Send those babies over.

RAW

« Reply #81 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:26 am »

Danny,  I've got CAD files I can send you - put down that pencil.

Now that will be awesome. Send those babies over.
[/quote]

Hank did a great job with the cad plans Danny.Was his offering on the agreement :wink:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #82 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:13 am »
Hi Al - how goes it?

Agreement?  What agreement?  I do contract agreements at work and it's a PAIN, especially with the Asian attorneys :evil:

Anyway, Danny, I e-mailed you three CAD drawings - Autocad 2007 format.  Let me know if you have a problem with them.  If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll do it.  I used QS Makore veneer - nice 3D look.

RAW

« Reply #83 on: 24 Apr 2008, 04:07 am »
Hi Al - how goes it?

Agreement?  What agreement?  I do contract agreements at work and it's a PAIN, especially with the Asian attorneys :evil:

Anyway, Danny, I e-mailed you three CAD drawings - Autocad 2007 format.  Let me know if you have a problem with them.  If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll do it.  I used QS Makore veneer - nice 3D look.

Hank cool man chill

Nothing wrong just making note they are well done plans.As per our old RAV6 kit you built.
No big deal.
Chill :wink:

Hank

« Reply #84 on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:27 am »
Al, boy, I am not UNchilled.
Chilled as always.  :wink:

RAW

« Reply #85 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:15 pm »
 :thumb:

Danny I just sent you the 3d PDF Plans as well.
Both the 3d and Hanks plans (I believe ) are using the slot port , which unloads the cabinet smoother and more controled than a regular port.

Hank

« Reply #86 on: 24 Apr 2008, 04:39 pm »
Yep, slot port - I sent you the rear slot drawing.  I have a front slot port version too.

ttan98

« Reply #87 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:13 pm »
Rather than rushing into buying just the parts for the M165x and Neo3 combo, I can wait for other parts like the front baffle for this kit? Are you thinking of making one as part of the kit?

Also Hank and some here is doing the drawings for the cabinet, once it is completed I would not mind a copy please. Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #88 on: 26 Apr 2008, 10:30 pm »
I just completed a crossover for this new deep back cup Neo 3 pdr and the standard M-130. The M-130X is next.

You guys are not going to believe just how smooth the response is in the vertical and horizontal off axis measurements. This speaker has one of the most even and consistent responses in any direction of any speaker that I have ever measured.

dkordonowy

« Reply #89 on: 28 Apr 2008, 12:43 am »
How many watts should I feed that combination (m130X/NEO3PDR)?  And what is the estimated minimum impedance?

BTW, thanks for the help.

I just completed a crossover for this new deep back cup Neo 3 pdr and the standard M-130. The M-130X is next.

You guys are not going to believe just how smooth the response is in the vertical and horizontal off axis measurements. This speaker has one of the most even and consistent responses in any direction of any speaker that I have ever measured.

Hank

« Reply #90 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:43 pm »
ttan98, I could e-mail you an AutoCad .dwg, but let's let Danny determine the NEO3PDR cutout dimensions so he can modify my baffle drawing.

Danny, did you download the .dwg file conversion program I referred you to?

Danny Richie

« Reply #91 on: 28 Apr 2008, 06:53 pm »
Danny, did you download the .dwg file conversion program I referred you to?

I did. It was fairly large. I haven't installed it yet though. Maybe by the end of the day I'll have it up and going.

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 30 Apr 2008, 07:40 pm »
Okay, here's the pricing for the kit using the M-130X with Neo3pdr with deep back cup.

The basic kit will be $329.

This includes the 2" flared ports from PSP. This uses Alpha Core foil inductors, Lynk resistors, Erse poly caps, and Sonicap Gen.2 by-pass cap in the tweeter circuit. This also uses the GR Research standard binding post cups.
Upgrade options are as follows:

All Sonicaps throughout and Mills resistors, add $109.

Sonicaps and Mills resistors in the tweeter circuit only, plus a by-pass cap for the woofer circuit, add $75.

Vampire wire binding post (BP1.5 Hex) add $31.50 See more info on those here: http://vampirewire.com/pc-48-16-binding-postbrbp15hex.aspx  If you use the PE cabinets these drop right into the pre-drilled holes by making the holes that are already in the back of the box just a little bit larger. Chasing through them with a slightly larger drill bit is pretty easy.

JPS Labs internal wire, add $42. More info here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53822.0

1 sheet of No Rez add $38. This will cover a pair of small cabinets.

You guys won't believe how well these measure. More info to come.
« Last Edit: 1 May 2008, 01:33 pm by Danny »

Zero the Hero

« Reply #93 on: 1 May 2008, 11:26 am »
The basic kit will be $329.

This includes the 2" flared ports from PSP....  it does not include a port as it can be used in a sealed .5 cubic foot box.

which one is it?

Also - Judging solely on 2 channel music abillity, which would you do:

a)  Neo3/165X 1.4 cf tuned to 40hz

b)   Neo3/130x  actively crossed over to a sealed, side firing 12" such as the SW12B, say 250hz or so? (don't worry, I'm not asking you to design a 3-way xover :) )
« Last Edit: 1 May 2008, 11:47 am by Zero the Hero »

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 1 May 2008, 01:36 pm »
which one is it?

Ooops, copy and paste error. Check again. I just corrected it.

a)  Neo3/165X 1.4 cf tuned to 40hz

That one would be really good for two channel.

b)   Neo3/130x  actively crossed over to a sealed, side firing 12" such as the SW12B, say 250hz or so? (don't worry, I'm not asking you to design a 3-way xover  )

That one would be good too, but you wouldn't want to actively cross it that high. I'd stick to a range of 80Hz or less.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #95 on: 1 May 2008, 03:05 pm »

b)   Neo3/130x  actively crossed over to a sealed, side firing 12" such as the SW12B, say 250hz or so? (don't worry, I'm not asking you to design a 3-way xover  )

That one would be good too, but you wouldn't want to actively cross it that high. I'd stick to a range of 80Hz or less.

really? Just to clarify, I'm talking about 3 way floorstanders with the top being the passive 2-way and the bottom being the woofer or subwoofer - stereo signal, not a separate mono sub.
Eh, probably out of my budget anyway with another 2 drivers, active xover and 2 channnel amp...

Danny Richie

« Reply #96 on: 1 May 2008, 04:21 pm »
really? Just to clarify, I'm talking about 3 way floorstanders with the top being the passive 2-way and the bottom being the woofer or subwoofer - stereo signal, not a separate mono sub.

Yea, 250HZ is way too high. Keep in mind that the heart of the mid-range is 300 to 500Hz. You start getting the crossover point up into that range and you deal with the vocal being split into dissimilar drivers, with different offset and time arrivals, and the whole thing starts to become a blur.

I have already been down the road.

More info here: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=118

If you want full range top to bottom then you might consider the M-165X model and a single Direct Servo sub like the SW-12-04.

HT cOz

« Reply #97 on: 1 May 2008, 07:59 pm »
If you want full range top to bottom then you might consider the M-165X model and a single Direct Servo sub like the SW-12-04.

Danny, are you thinking monitors with one sub in the corner? or one sub per monitor?

You have really outdone yourself on this, I could not have imagined so many options would have come out of my desire for a little fun project. 

Cheers,
Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #98 on: 1 May 2008, 08:05 pm »
I was just thinking one sub. You could put it anywhere.

I am burning in the model right now with the standard M-130. It sounds great. You guys are going to flip.

Yea, this really is fun.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #99 on: 4 May 2008, 05:16 am »
danny, what do you think of the name, A/V NEO ?

1: A/V NEO  "MONITOR" : M130/M130X BASED, STAND MOUNTED

2:A/V NEO "EXTENDED" : M165X BASED, FLOOR STANDER

3:A/V NEO "COMPLETE" : M130X/M165X  COMBINED WITH 1 SIDE FIRING GR/RYTHMIK SUB/AMP COMBO ALL IN 1 IN ONE ENCLOSURE LIKE AV4
« Last Edit: 4 May 2008, 05:26 am by AUDFILE74 »