GK-1 question

Agisthos

GK-1 question
« on: 9 Oct 2003, 05:06 am »
I only want the best sonics possible for a two channel setup.
So am I better off getting the cheaper kit and only wiring the cd line inputs onto the board and using the extra money to get a DACT or something?

I figure the less connections the better, and I have no need of phono (not old enough to even remember vinyl being sold in the stores!) or any other inputs.

This is so frustrating guys. I was retrenched from my job a month ago, so I could buy these kits and have all the time in the world to devote to building them proper. But on the other hand I need to cut down on uneeded expense so as not to use my savings, who knows what the future may hold with getting work.   :evil:

AKSA

GK-1 question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2003, 05:41 am »
Agisthos,

If you just want 2 channel, no switching of sources, then I'd suggest foregoing the mute function and using the cermet level control supplied in the kit in shunt mode.  This way it will almost reach the sonics of a DACT!

Yes, the entry level GK-1 is for you, in my view.

Cheers,

Hugh

cmscott6

GK-1 question
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2003, 01:24 pm »
Hi Hugh.

I think the documentation to wire the attenuator in shunt mode was added to the directions after I purchased my GK-1EL.  Do you have a diagram or instructions available?  Should I consider a Riken resistor for the shunt resistor(s)?  

Thanks!

Chris

AKSA

GK-1 question
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2003, 10:08 pm »
Hi Chris,

Yes, you are quite right!  I will send the diagram to you privately.

Bear in mind that use of this topology will obviate the mute circuitry, however.  This is a tough choice for most to consider.......

Cheers,

Hugh