Christopher Witmer

Re: Official Felix board/kit group buy thread
« Reply #60 on: 17 Mar 2008, 11:51 pm »
low dollar's  value will enhance American Sellings
 I really worry now how Airbus can keep Boeing at bay
( is that the right expression?)

"Dollar crashes, Boeing soars"
"It's an ill wind that blows no man good"

There's a wonderful book about the Great Depression titled, We Had Everything but Money; if it comes to that I hope we'll still be able to say the same thing today.

-- Chris

BradJudy

« Reply #61 on: 18 Mar 2008, 12:59 am »
Guys, keep the economics and politics out of the thread please.  It's hard enough to track this without getting pings about thread updates that aren't related to group buy issues.  Thanks.

BradJudy

« Reply #62 on: 18 Mar 2008, 01:00 am »
Den - I accommodated your quantity changes and issued you a new invoice, but your PM box is full.

Den

« Reply #63 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:34 am »
Hi Brad.  Sorry about the full box.  Invoice received.  Everything is on the money and yours is on the way.   :)

kyrill

« Reply #64 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:11 am »
some NON US/CA buyer(s) are still awaiting their invoice(s)?

Christopher Witmer

« Reply #65 on: 18 Mar 2008, 12:09 pm »
Yep, I'm among those waiting for my invoice; I'm sure Brad has not forgotten us. All good things come to those who wait . . .

-- Chris in Tokyo

BradJudy

« Reply #66 on: 18 Mar 2008, 01:04 pm »
Yes, non-North American buyers are still awaiting invoices.  I need to stop by the post office this morning to get some flat-rate envelopes and boxes to see what I can fit in them.  I should be sending any remaining invoices tonight (I think there are six or seven people still waiting). 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #67 on: 18 Mar 2008, 08:05 pm »
Being a neurotic audiophool, I couldn't possibley just get Levitron receptacles but I didn't want to spend a fortune on Wattgates either.  So, these were my compromises.  I hope others will post some finds as well. 

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7098

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=4479

Josh,

Should I have started a new post-purchase building the kit thread?  Feel free to split if you wish.  :wink:

Occam

« Reply #68 on: 18 Mar 2008, 09:03 pm »
Woodsyi,

Stayonline also carries the nominally same receptacle the 5262 for a buck less. The difference is that the 5262 uses unplated brass, whereas the 8200 has nickle plated brass. -
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7088
As to whether unplated brass is preferable to nickle plate brass... discuss amongst yourselves. :)

Your second choice is more problematic, unless you're feeding the Felix from a 20amp circuit. The C320 C20 inlet is different from the more typical C320 C14 15amp inlet that mate with most IEC cords and found on most components. Be sure you're getting the right type. I don't see any C14 inlets at stayonline, but most of the distributors carry them from SwitchCraft, Schurter, Bulgin, etc... and more bespoke ones, Furutech, Oyide, Acme, etc... are availtable through more audiophile oriented suppliers.

Gordy

« Reply #69 on: 18 Mar 2008, 09:29 pm »
This is what I used for Natureboy's amp Felix... http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=8797  Easy to use, just drill a 1-3/4" round hole.  Unfortunately, as you can see from the dimensions, it does use some depth.

BradJudy

« Reply #70 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:26 pm »
I think Greenlee makes a punch tool for outlet holes.  I'd have to go searching to find the specifics.  Of course, I don't think Greenlee punches are cheap, but I hear they are well made.

jrebman

« Reply #71 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:29 pm »
Gordy,

That's a singleton outlet, correct?

That's what I'd like to use for a box that will serve 3 components.

-- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #72 on: 18 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm »
Jim, yes it is.  A single outlet in a round form factor.  1.72 inch diameter hole with a 2.56 inch diameter flange and a depth of 1.72 inches.  It looks like the dimensions are only in the picture and not in the text.

nature boy

« Reply #73 on: 18 Mar 2008, 11:15 pm »
Brad,

PayPal payment for my boards and caps have been sent.  I can't thank you enough for putting this group buy together. You're a saint.    :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

NB

jrebman

« Reply #74 on: 18 Mar 2008, 11:40 pm »
Brad,

Thanks for the description -- as I suspected, too big for a 1U chassis.

You should have my payment by now as well, and once again, thank you for putting this all together.

:beer:

-- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #75 on: 19 Mar 2008, 01:08 am »
For non-North American buyers:

It looks like the flat-rate envelopes won't work for these orders.  The thickness of the CMC's alone makes it unreasonable.  This eliminates the potential $11 option. 

That means USPS Priority or Express regular shipments.  In short, Express costs more, but includes insurance (not the same as Global Express Guaranteed).  While rates vary by country, they are generally ~$30 for Priority and ~$40 for Express (high end of the scale).  While there is a flat rate box option for Priority, it costs $37 and is only worthwhile for heavier items. 

BradJudy

« Reply #76 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:08 am »
Another note for overseas buyers:

PayPal charges extra fees for currency conversion and international transactions.  While normal PayPal fees are integrated into the costs, I'm adding 3% to overseas items to address the extra charges.  I'm listing it as a line-item in the invoices, so it should be clear. 

* BradJudy crosses his fingers and hopes he's getting everything right.  :)

mgalusha

« Reply #77 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:16 am »
I think Greenlee makes a punch tool for outlet holes.  I'd have to go searching to find the specifics.  Of course, I don't think Greenlee punches are cheap, but I hear they are well made.

As an option, Lowes sells the Greenlee step drill for electricians and it will produce holes large enough for singleton outlets. It's expensive but nowhere near as much as their chassis punches.

Back to the original topic now. :)

Gordy

« Reply #78 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:22 am »
Hi Jim,

Um, what Brad said!  I used a 2.5" Heeger box and it just fit height-wise.  The good news is I worked a lot of OT last week  :wink:  I'll pm you next week!!!

Home Despot carries a nice $8-9 P&S receptacle for those who don't need/want hospital or industrial grade.

I was given a box of power cord strain reliefs a while back and sent some out for people to try, haven't heard yet as to how people like them but, I do  :lol:  and they're free.  They fit ~11mm to 14mm cords without using the rubber plug and the plug can be drilled to fit smaller diameters and or diy braided cords etc.  For reference, the Volex cords are 11mm.  The back thread is 1/2" pipe thread and you'll need to pick up a 10 cent thin wall nut if you want to use the bulkhead fitting.  I've just been cutting off the rear thread and using the compression nut, rubber washer and the fixed nut to connect to the chassis. 

Contributors to the Felix threads can PM me for an address and send a SASE 6.5" x 9.5" manila type envelope.  $1.64 in postage will cover 5 pieces.  Sorry, but I have to limit this to Felix thread contributors only, at least until I know what, if any, response I get. 

BradJudy

« Reply #79 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:33 am »
The international invoices have been sent.  Shipping costs were kind of estimates based on guesses on weight, so hopefully if I'm off the wiggle-room in the budget will cover it. 

Payments have been coming in good.  Only a handful of the US buyers are left to pay.