amp for vmps larger

usp1

amp for vmps larger
« on: 5 Mar 2008, 05:52 pm »
What is the minimum wattage i should have for a vmps larger? Can I drive it with a single 125w channel of an emotiva lpa-1? Looking for economical alternatives till I can bump up my budget for the full fledged partsexpress 100w amp.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: amp for vmps larger
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:15 pm »
Should work fine, but you'll need a crossover which the PE amp has built in.

usp1

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:18 pm »
Wow a reply from big B himself ! Thanks for the prompt reply.

If I sent the LFE output from the preamp to the amp and have the preamp do the crossover, would I still need the crossover.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:22 pm »
Good question. I have the exact same amp and I was thinking of doing the same thing with a pair of passive subs.

I agree with Brian -- the Emotiva will crank out at least 175 watts into 4 ohms, so it should be plenty of clean power. You probably don't need to puchase a parts express 1000-watt amp.

I believe your pre/pro perform can crossover duties if you hook up the VMPS Larger to the amp via speaker cables with an interconnect from the amp channel to the subwoofer pre-out on the pre/pro. (Are you using the LMC-1?) However, if you have a separate 2-channel system, you'll need an external crossover.

usp1

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:27 pm »
Currently I am using an onkyo 804 as my pre/pro. I am waiting for the new emotiva line to upgrade the preamp.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2008, 07:09 pm »
As you can see from my post count I seldom respond to user questions on this Circle.

Not!

If your prepro has an LFE output (80Hz or lower) you're OK.

usp1

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2008, 07:16 pm »
It is great to see the level of personal involvement in your products! :)