Surrounds

redskinsfan

Surrounds
« on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:18 am »
Jim, just wondering when we might expect to see pics/specs on the V bipole/dipole surrounds. Thanks!

Bill@LakeGeorge

Re: Surrounds
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2008, 09:15 am »
I didn't realize these were in the works.  I may be interested in these also.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2008, 12:25 pm »
I've asked Jim to build me a foursome of surrounds to complete my V HT set up.  Mine would be inside exisitng columns and only need to be straight shooters with no angling, just direct radiation.  I think this is the preferred config if I am correct.  He is quite busy and I am in no rush.  He also needs to "engineer" them in his spare time. :lol:

So there will be something soon for all to consider.  Jim, Dennis will probably chime in.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2008, 01:29 pm »
A little OT...

Personally, I prefer a dipole/bipole for the side surrounds and direct radiators in the rear surround position.  In any case, unless they're designed to be basically inwalls, you need to make sure the columns are very open front and sides so you don't have resonance issues, cancellations, and boundary problems.

Jim built a set of surrounds for one of my design customers to match his Salk mains.  I haven't had a chance to hear them but I know he's very happy with them.  There's a switch to allow them to operate in either dipole or bipole mode.

Bryan

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:30 pm »
Right--the bipole-dipole is a finished design, albeit an expensive one.  It has two Seas 5" magnesiums and 2 AC G2 ribbon tweets per side, with a phase toggle switch to change modes.  It's quite a toy.  As usual, I only got to hear one of them, but in its diffuse mode, you could place the speaker in the middle of a long wall and it would sound like there were two orchestras playing--one on each side of the room.  Flip the switch, and you've got one orchestra in the middle.  Flip the switch..................   I did a lot of flipping.  I'm agnostic on whether you want a diffuse source on the sides and direct in the rear.  It seems like it could make for some funny front-back pans if that happens very often in HT source material.  But maybe it would sound great 99% of the time.