Right channel break-in

Brett Buck

Re: Right channel break-in
« Reply #20 on: 29 Feb 2008, 04:11 am »
What if, instead of teleporting, it's sent through a wormhole? I understand that that does not involve any of the adverse molecular (okay, atomic and subatomic) deconstruction and reconstruction; rather, it appears to comprehend an instantaneous pivoting, in toto, into some tangential dimension.  Thoughts?

You aren't entirely clear on what you would do with a wormhole - presumably use it as a transmission medium (i.e. create a wormhole at the "line out" of the preamp "hot" lead, that terminates at the power amp "line in", or similarly in place of a speaker wire) .

But, are you kidding?  No deconstruction and reconstruction? The only way to make a wormhole (at least the only way that has even been hypothesized) is with a black hole. As you approach the event horizon, gravitational gradients and tidal forces (normally factors that can be, to first approximation, ignored for audio reproduction purposes) become extreme[1]. Any matter that approaches this horizon will be greatly stressed along the axis of the attraction and ultimately destroyed. That includes electrons (and positrons, assuming you are running a "balanced" system*). Given that, I can't see how this phenomenon would ever be exploited in the pursuit of high-fidelity audio.

If you were somehow able to overcome the above, another even more obvious wormhole/gravitational singularity feature would also come into play. Black holes are HOT. They suck in matter for eons, and compress it to literally 0 dimensions. No energy ever escapes (to our knowledge). No one knows the physics inside the singularity, but in the limit, as you approach the singularity, the temperature approaches infinity. Thus any electron approaching a black hole would experience exceptionally high temperatures - and thus undo any benefits from their cryogenic treatment. Would you listen to music using non-cyro-treated electrons?  I sure wouldn't!  If you think that's OK, well, then, get off the AVA forum and find yourself a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver.

Given these blatantly obvious flaws in your premise, I can only conclude that you are either
 1) not a "true audiophile" OR
 2) making a lame attempt at humor OR more likely
 3) you are trolling. Well, I won't play!

I will freely admit, however, that despite my physics and engineering background,  I am far from the worlds foremost expert on black hole/wormhole/other singularities. What is astonishing is that ref (1) fails to address audio reproduction in any way! I can only conclude that this is the fatal flaw in the author's Nobel submission.

I would also note that the "loss of cryogenic electrons" problem occurs, in a slightly different way, even with conventional physics. I have a solution under test, right now, to address this problem. Its simple, uses commonly available parts, and serves to prevent the migration of the electrons from the treated speaker wire out of the wire and into the ancillary components. But given that this is our host's commercial forum, I feel it only fair to offer it as a new product idea for AVA first. If Frank declines to pursue then I will post it here for your use.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Frank for this forum! It gives me (and others) a chance to pass along our knowledge and experience. I am gratified to be able to "give back" to the hobby that has provide so many years of enjoyment.

Brett

[1] Hawking, S. (1988). A Brief History of Time. Bantam Books. ISBN 0-553-38016-8.
* balanced, for the newbies, is a system that uses equal parts matter and anti-matter as charge conductors
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2008, 04:23 am by Brett Buck »

Brett Buck

« Reply #21 on: 29 Feb 2008, 04:19 am »
Wow, great stuff here Brett! We need an FAQ for this, so that we can refer to it easily.

I find particularly interesting the mention of transient disruption in your first post. If I am correct, I experience this phenomenon quite often after eating beans.

It does at least help displace some of the oxygen from the room though...

Ha Ha! A fart joke! Very funny. But the joke's on you - Methane is even worse for copper conductors than oxygen ( a far more complex molecule with many more isomeric modes and thus far wider-band distortion). You probably didn't even know that!

Even more insulting is you equating farts with chi. Chi is part of a religious belief system. That, sir, is a hate crime!

But what makes me really angry about your post is that you are obviously not taking hi-fidelity with the seriousness it deserves. If you think all this is just a big joke, then fine. See if I answer the next time *you* have a problem. Martyo, despite his obviously limited understanding of true high-fidelity audio techniques, was at least trying to solve his problem. Good luck getting an answer the next time *you* have a problem!

Brett

BrianM

« Reply #22 on: 29 Feb 2008, 12:47 pm »
Brett, it seems you, and your buddy Hawking, are still tethered to the semiclassical approximation to quantum gravity.  Please!  I thought I could at least bring up traversable wormholes without being immediately shoe-horned into the old Lorentzian model.  There are exciting new avenues being explored here.  Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think the idea of time travel (for example) applied to audiophilia is a potential game changer.  Think about it: how can your components muck things up if you're hearing the music before they can feed it to you?

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 29 Feb 2008, 01:36 pm »
Darn it this is getting way to complicated for me.  But don't knock the Black Hole stuff too much.  As I recall Jim Salk will line his speaker cabinets with them for extra cost, although it is worrisome as to how the speaker magnets would interact with the considerable magnetic field of black holes.  :o

Anyway I am having too much fun just playing with the new speaker wires that Mark sent me.

Question?  Do you want them back or can I try some other things with them first?

No, they are not Blue Jeans cables, but do have a very distant common ancestor.  Actually several.  One possibly illegal, but I won't go into that.  I should mention that Bluejeans cables will probably have a better home decor acceptance factor than Mark's cables.

Regards,

Frank

martyo

« Reply #24 on: 29 Feb 2008, 02:09 pm »
Darn it this is getting way to complicated for me.  But don't knock the Black Hole stuff too much.  As I recall Jim Salk will line his speaker cabinets with them for extra cost, although it is worrisome as to how the speaker magnets would interact with the considerable magnetic field of black holes

Oh no, I have that upgrade. Wink2

mark funk

« Reply #25 on: 29 Feb 2008, 02:30 pm »
Frank, I made the cables for you to keep and maybe use them at your next Audio show :wink:. Who knows, could be the next hot cable in audio :lol:. Have fun with them! Mark :smoke:

avahifi_lj

« Reply #26 on: 29 Feb 2008, 04:32 pm »
I have yet to hear Mark’s cables.  While they appear to be top notch, I’m a bit concerned that there may be a bit of edge fuzz.  I’m sure Frank will post much more detail in a couple of weeks.

Larry

BrianM

« Reply #27 on: 29 Feb 2008, 05:26 pm »
No, they are not Blue Jeans cables, but do have a very distant common ancestor.

While they appear to be top notch, I’m a bit concerned that there may be a bit of edge fuzz.

:scratch:

Do I gather that these cables feature some kind of creative shielding?

Toka

« Reply #28 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:07 am »
Someone spill the beans on the cables! The suspense is a-killin' me.  :green:

Legendlime

« Reply #29 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:37 am »
Note also that in some cases the detrimental effects of oxygen diffusing into the conductors of interconnects and speaker wire can be halted or even reversed by the use of the various proprietary cable break-in tools.

[Someone spill the beans on the cables!]

So, are you suggesting the use of beans as a breakin tool?  :scratch:

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:15 pm »
I hope "hemp" doesn't come into the picture. I guess if it's for medicinal purposes that's OK. I don't know what other jacket would be illegal. Maybe the copper is blended with plutonium. That's illegal, isn't it?

W  aa

Brett Buck

« Reply #31 on: 2 Mar 2008, 08:58 pm »
Darn it this is getting way to complicated for me.  But don't knock the Black Hole stuff too much.  As I recall Jim Salk will line his speaker cabinets with them for extra cost, although it is worrisome as to how the speaker magnets would interact with the considerable magnetic field of black holes. 

The magnetic interference issue may be solved very easily - as the magnetic interference goes with an inverse-square law, simply making the enclosure larger will reduce the problem to managable levels. This is really no different that what you do with conventional neutron star material. The front panel (which obviously must be very near the drivers) can be made from conventional MDF with little loss of performance.

The advantages of the black-holes as an enclosure material is obvious - it closely approached the theoretical ideal of an infinite-baffle enclosure.

I think the biggest problem with either material (neutron star or black hole) is a very prosaic one.  Either is far too difficult to glue. Take pure neutron star material as an example. As a hyper-dense accumulation of bare neutrons (exceptional for acoustic damping purposes, even better than Plasti-Clay) it's essentially impossible to create any sort of chemical bond. Frank and most of the readers already know this, but for the hi-fi newbie, chemical bonds between two materials are made by either sharing electrons from the atomic shells (covalent bonds) or exchanging electrons in the shell (ionic bonds). But neutron star material has no electrons - just bare neutrons held together with gravity and weak force interactions. In fact, conventional wood veneers are hardly respond to weak force interactions, and gravity only helps with the top surfaces of the speaker. Attempts to rough up the material with sandpaper, etc, and provide a means for mechanical bonds just don't work - any grooves or valleys that are formed by abrasion are quickly leveled by the high gravitational forces and lack of any crystalline structure.

Perhaps Salk, Inc. has solved this problem, but if not, try talking your significant others into putting an ugly, infinitely black, speaker (prone to compressing nearby objects to a singularity) in your living room!  Such a speaker would only fit into the most minimalist decoration schemes (i.e Danish Modern).

Brett

Brett Buck

« Reply #32 on: 2 Mar 2008, 09:20 pm »
Brett, it seems you, and your buddy Hawking, are still tethered to the semiclassical approximation to quantum gravity.  Please!  I thought I could at least bring up traversable wormholes without being immediately shoe-horned into the old Lorentzian model.  There are exciting new avenues being explored here.  Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think the idea of time travel (for example) applied to audiophilia is a potential game changer.  Think about it: how can your components muck things up if you're hearing the music before they can feed it to you?

I apologize for not responding sooner. I have had to clear some of my posts through the appropriate governmental agencies. As a result, I can't really address the first point fully. I am allowed to say that you might consider that there are some obvious flaws in the Lorentz transformation. For a fuller understanding I can only suggest that you use the magic of Google and search for the "cube" "time" and "Gene Ray". I really can't say any more on that topic.

The latter is an excellent point, but I think this message board is not an appropriate venue for such a discussion.  Such an approach may lead to the possibility that conventional audio reproduction equipment would be rendered moot* - thus obviating the point Frank's entire life's work!  Frank's  *livelihood* depends on it, you insensitive clod!

Brett

*as would be obvious to even a casual observer, the very concept of an audio reproduction system presumes that the performance was from the *past*. Quantum teleportation can result in the "information" (in this case an audio performance) being received either *before* or *after* it was created. And of course you could control how much in the future you went, so everyone would be able to effectively "attend" a performance directly any time you wanted to. This would be very similar in practice to what we do now, except that the concert would be experienced directly without transducers, amplifiers, signal processing, etc. Of course there would be some apparatus associated with the implementation of the quantum teleportation, and this presents many opportunities for the clever entrepreneur. I have already started proceedings to patent my particular implementation of quantum waveguides (the QT equivalent of interconnect cables). But there are many other good areas for investigation - reduction of quantum noise through the cryogenic treatment of various parts, multi-channel phase alignment/restoration, quantum waveguide support stands, etc.

Legendlime

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2008, 11:18 pm »
I had a day off and I decided to try those beans.

When I got to the store I was getting a little confused by all of the options when I remembered reading that you need rice and beans to complete a protein. I immediately saw that white rice and Lima beans would best compliment the wall color of my living room (never discount the WAF).

I the spilled the mixture onto the speaker cables but soon after I started to experience interference...from the dog. After trying to combat the interference with a rolled up news paper I noticed he had stated to fill the room with methane. Initially hoping that would displace oxygen and improve cable response I was soon forced to put him outside and abandon the experiment.

Somewhat disheartened I decided to visit avahifi.com to look for answers and I found that Frank had updated the used equipment list! Looking for  a chance to improve my system I jumped, with both feet, on the OmegaStar DAC.

Perhaps now I'll find the value I missed on five pounds of rice and beans.  :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #34 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:31 am »
Way to go on the DAC score (you bastard)....I wanted that!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayner  8)