EX-6.5's ???

penderaudio

EX-6.5's ???
« on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:06 pm »
Hey Kevin, when do you think the EX-6.5 driver will be avaliable as just a raw driver. I have a friend who is looking for a true mid-bass. He would want 8 drivers (4 per side). We are working on a big tower design that will take a ton of power, 3 way active system! (M-T-M-M-M-W-W). We used to run 2 mids but kept burning coils at high volume for long periods of time. I convinced him that 4 per side would be a good idea.

FYI- I bought 4 of those XJ-15 prototype's they work great Di-pole other than the motor vent huffing at high excursion. I'll post pics of the project some time when it's done.

Kevin Haskins

Re: EX-6.5's ???
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:17 pm »
They won't be available as a raw driver.   

The driver has a fairly difficult to work with surround resonance that makes it a difficult driver to design with.    It wasn't an issue on the engineering samples but when they went to production I think the build-house made a surround change on me.    As a consequence I had to do some pretty intensive work in the crossover to get good results with the Kepler.   Its all fixable with the crossover but its not an easy fix.   

Rather than selling them and having people grumbling about it I figured I'd only sell them in a finished solution.   If you can design a good crossover its not an issue but it would be a real bitch for someone trying to use generic crossovers.   

penderaudio

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:42 pm »
Ya I guess that could be an issue, we do almost all our designs with active x-overs so it would be less of an issue for use to do EQ. Where is the response issue is is high or low? low I would assume since it's a surround induced. I was looking at the CSS 7's but i guess they are more of a woofer than a Mid-bass. We should be able to crossover our Mid to Tweet pretty low because its going to be a Radian compression driver or a 5 inch ribbon, not sure yet we are listening to both.

(Off topic question) what Face audio amp should I get to power those 4 XJ-15 prototypes in Dipole stereo config? I have 100 watts per and it works ok, but they only move about 1/4 inch at full tilt. I was thinking about the FS700 at 2 ohms stereo (If it will be stable) I prefer to have overhead power than to go all out with a smaller amp.

Thanks Kevin!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2008, 12:20 am »
Ya I guess that could be an issue, we do almost all our designs with active x-overs so it would be less of an issue for use to do EQ. Where is the response issue is is high or low?

I've not measured it on a 2Pi baffle so some of what I'm seeing are baffle effects.   It peaks around 1.2K but that will change based upon the baffle you use.    In the Kepler you get the dual issue of the baffle diffraction AND the surround resonance to deal with so its a double whammy.    With a DSP it should be easy as pie to deal with but you still need to measure it on the baffle to see exactly what your dealing with.

Once its dealt with in the crossover its a non-issue but doing so takes some extra work.

What do you consider low?   I'm using 1600Hz 4th order acoustic in the Kepler and that works pretty good for both the tweeter & woofer. 

Are you sure you have 100W per driver?   What kind of signal are you using?   Use a stepped sine wave starting around 20Hz and you should see a lot more excursion than that with that much power, especially in free air.