New Music Server Advice

Bill@LakeGeorge

New Music Server Advice
« on: 26 Feb 2008, 04:49 pm »
Any advice on the following 2 NAS devices:

QNAP TS-409 PRO or Thecus 5200PRO, with 4 750GB drives are there any preferences out there between the 2.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
Re: New Music Server Advice
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2008, 01:51 am »
The Thecus 5200PRO looks like one heck of a product. I haven't used it but my opinion is based on some minor research done in the last few minutes.

Have you looked at the Drobo w/ Droboshare? Another nice product.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2008, 02:29 am »
what does a drobo do that a desktop pc or mac does not?  Nothing...waste of $$$$

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2008, 02:38 am »
what does a drobo do that a desktop pc or mac does not?  Nothing...waste of $$$$

Are we both talking about the same product? www.drobo.com

For a music server the Drobo is perfect for placing your disk outside of your listening room connected to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. My Mac can't boot off an iSCSI disk, so I don't have the option of placing disk far away from my computer.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:16 am »
I want the easiest and cheapest way to connect HDs to my network and be able to access them when my laptop isnt there and them plugged into it so I can stream to my sonos. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I have two external drives already.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:23 am »
Buy a cheap PC and connect your existing drives to it and point the Sonos to them.  The PC will need to be on but that's the cheapest way to do it.  You can pick up a bare-bones PC for < $400.

The Drobo would work but at $500 it has no storage space so that's an extra expense. 

Bryan

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:31 am »
Its a space and heat issue were the network and cable modem crap is located. isnt there some kinda adapter to plug the hd into and nas or something that attaches to the network hub and is always on?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:48 am »
Not unless the drives and enclosure is designed to be a network device - it has no way to communicate over TCP/IP.  If you want to use your existing external drives, they need to be connected to a computer that can do the commo for them.  If you want a standalone NAS, then that's what you need to buy - but you won't use your existing drives that way.

Bryan

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:55 am »
I see, thanks for the info. so this drobo thing while expensive with the drives you have to have is actually a good option for using as a NAS.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:57 am »
Also quick question there is no hub thing like the one for the drobo that will allow me to make NAS out of my external drives?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:03 am »
Not that I'm aware of - other than a PC or mac.  Even then, it would take drive sharing.  The Drobo is more than you need realistically.  Something like this

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hmx?scriteria=4388847

with a couple hard disks will do what you want at less than the cost of a Drobo with no drives - but you have to buy new drives, or tear into your external drives and strip the actual hard disk out of them to use.  Hard disks are so cheap now that I wouldn't do that - I'd leave them as is for backup duties.

Bryan

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:14 am »
Thank you for doing that legwork, as one of the features it says you can attach 2 usb externals. Could that be a way of using what I have or still need the additional slot HDs?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2008, 05:31 am »
I honestly don't know if it will function diskless or not.  Worst case, if it requires a disk, you can pick up this

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA36090

and still be out for < $200 between the device and the disk and have extra space to boot.  Or, if you don't need the space, you can pick up an 80 Gig for around $45. 

Bryan

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2008, 05:34 am »
Agreed, I spied that one too. Also do you or anyone else know if this can run the sonos server that is referencing saved itunes files? All lossless of course, Im just trying to simplify my life.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2008, 02:03 pm »
Go here http://www.nashq.com/ they have every  brand of NAS ou there, give Jason a call, he is very helpful, and explain what you are trying to do.

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2008, 10:45 pm »

yes we are.  What real life usable advantage does this unit give someone vs a cheap pc or mac??  I really don't think hot swappable drives is of any use to someone using this for audio.  You still need a computer!!  Why not just use said computer???  Zero value added. (for audio) 

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:37 am »

yes we are.  What real life usable advantage does this unit give someone vs a cheap pc or mac??  I really don't think hot swappable drives is of any use to someone using this for audio.  You still need a computer!!  Why not just use said computer???  Zero value added. (for audio) 

A cheap Mac or PC requires configuration and RAID knowledge and can't be expanded on the fly with different drive sizes as your library grows and use the extra capacity, again without configuration. Please name a PC or Mac that can do this. I have yet to see one that is configuration free. Can you name a single PC that do all of this while the drives are in another area of the house and available wirelessly. You need external drives for this, no Mac or PC by themselves can connect to drives wirelessly without an enclosure. I'd love to see a cheaper solution, so I eagerly await your response.

sts9fan

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2008, 01:53 am »
Why would you have the computer in the audio room?  Wireless us the way to go.
 Is configuring that hard?  I have added drives twice and I am no good with computers.  There really is no need for complex RAID backup.  All you need to do is copy drives a few times a month.  Sure its not perfect but it sure is easy...if you can right click you are done.  Hell usb drives don't even need special software installs.  Most things are plug and play these days.  All these audiophile servers have one generation and then they will be done.  The next generation of audiophile will not see any value.  ymmv

kris

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2008, 02:03 am »
Why would you have the computer in the audio room?  Wireless us the way to go.
 Is configuring that hard?  I have added drives twice and I am no good with computers.  There really is no need for complex RAID backup.  All you need to do is copy drives a few times a month.  Sure its not perfect but it sure is easy...if you can right click you are done.  Hell usb drives don't even need special software installs.  Most things are plug and play these days.  All these audiophile servers have one generation and then they will be done.  The next generation of audiophile will not see any value.  ymmv

kris

It's clear we are on different wavelengths here. I'm not following your logic and I really don't understand your comment about the next generation of audiophiles. Audiophile servers and vinyl will be around until something better comes along.

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2008, 02:24 am »
I suspect that by generation, he means the next wave of innovation around this.  I own a Slimdevices SB3.  There were SB1, SB2, then SB3, now Transporter etc, all a product line from one manufacturer.  Each is related, but each generation, or iteration, makes obsolete, the previous.  By obsolete, I mean no longer cutting edge, not necessarily no longer of any value.

My father's 1997 Dell PII still functions, but it is generations behind my 2003 Dell P4, which is generations behind current PC's.

Windows 2000 to XP to Vista etc.

I currently park all my music on my old 2003 Dell, and wirelessly serve it to my audio system 2 floors below in the basement.  I keep all my music in 1 HD, and back it up monthly with an external one.

I would never try to keep a PC current, or in the listening room for a variety of reasons, but am interested to learn why you believe that would be a superior method?  Or perhaps you just view it as easier?