The Perfect Margarita

mcgsxr

Re: The Perfect Margarita
« Reply #40 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:04 pm »
I agree, it would likely be simplest to go during "off hours" when it is slow, and sit at the bar, and ask to see one being made.  By the 3rd one I bet you can sort out the counts!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #41 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:11 pm »
More info Bob...

You might post your question on one of the foodie websites.....just an idea. :thumb:

JohninCR

« Reply #42 on: 2 Mar 2008, 06:35 pm »
Bob,
Sorry I forgot you can get it stateside with the water added.  The limeade concentrate is what you want.  It serves as your sweet and sour mix.

Ed,
Thanks for the invite, but if it's ok with you I'll stick to sipping and/or shooting my tequila, no salt no lime.  I find it's the best way to separate the good from the bad, and there's plenty of silly priced tequila that tastes terrible.  If you add all those extras to perfectly good tequila, eventually you'll end up crawling to the porcelain goddess to pay your tribute, and thanking her for being so cool as you press your cheek against her side. Do this a few hours before a rafting trip, and you're in for one of the longest days of your life.  Do it with the really cheap stuff, then a 2 day hangover is possible, spending the 1st day unable to move truly wishing you were dead.

John

mcgsxr

« Reply #43 on: 2 Mar 2008, 06:50 pm »
I don't drink anymore, but when I did (and when I lived in Taiwan) I had a girlfriend who liked Tequila.  I have had a few different types, in a few different drink configurations, and for me, I am with JohninCR.

I found that my "best" experiences with Tequila involved just a shot glass.  I left the salt and lime or lemon to others.

I am sure it is an individual thing, and perhaps it related to my preference for Scotch/rocks too, but there are many ways to enjoy many of the juices!

Have fun out there, and good luck chasing down the recipe Bob!

tex-amp

« Reply #44 on: 3 Mar 2008, 07:56 pm »
Easiest really good rita-

1 part limeade concentrate and a squeeze of fresh lime
1 part Cointreau
2 parts Centenario Reposados

For less expensive sub Sauza Hornitos and Gran Gala(the best of the cheaper orange liqueurs IMO)

fill with ice and blend. Note use 1/3 cup as your 1 part measure if you go higher you will want a nap after 2 of these. This is my parents' recipe I believe they brought it back from the oil fields of Venezuela in the late 50s- early 60s. My mom calls it a World Famous.

edit-the limeade should be the concentrate itself and not limeade.
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2008, 10:20 am by tex-amp »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #45 on: 3 Mar 2008, 11:49 pm »
They had Limade in the oil fields of Venezuela fifty years ago?  :o :scratch:
Sounds like another good recipe. This limeade thing is becoming an epidemic. I MUST try it!

When I go to Applebee's, I try to keep an eye on the bar for an empty seat. The last couple of times we've gone, the seats have all been full. If I ever get a chance to sit there, inevitably the ingredients will be 20 feet away on the other end of the bar and the 'tender will have his back to me hiding the bottles.  :duh: :lol:

Still no word from corporate.

Thanks guys,
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:34 pm »
Well, I received an email from Applebee's Corporate:

-----------

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your recent email requesting the recipe for our Perfect Margarita. 
Even when wildly popular with our fans, we cannot share recipes for our menu
items.  I'm sure that's disappointing news, but hopefully you will understand
the need to protect this recipe from arriving in the hands of our competitors!

We appreciate your loyalty to Applebee's and hope all future visits are good
ones!

Sincerely,

Adam Linville
Guest Relations Coordinator
Case # 720414

----------

My reply to that..........:  :finger: :deadhorse: :uzi: :cuss: :guns:

Oh well.
We'll have fun experimenting.  :wink: aa

Bob

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:47 pm »
Why not offer 20 bucks to the bartender to make it in-front of you? 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 4 Mar 2008, 06:21 pm »
 :lol: Yea, I thought about that too. Might just have to go that route.

JohninCR

« Reply #49 on: 5 Mar 2008, 03:50 am »
I don't know if you did a search or if someone posted it already, but save the $20 because it's readily available online.  When you come down, I'll make you a better one though, but here it is in the meantime:

APPLEBEE'S PERFECT MARGARITA

1 1/2 ounces 1800 Reposado
3/4 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce Grand Marnier
1/2 ounce lime juice
2 ounces sour mix

tex-amp

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2008, 10:21 am »
They had Limade in the oil fields of Venezuela fifty years ago?  :o :scratch:
Sounds like another good recipe. This limeade thing is becoming an epidemic. I MUST try it!

It has been it my parents' freezer since at least the 70s.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #51 on: 5 Mar 2008, 11:27 am »
Yup.  We used to make them that way all the time - don't even need a shot glass.

Empty the can of concentrate, fill it 2/3 with Tequila, fill it 1/2 with Triple Sec or Contreau, a SMALL pinch of Sea Salt, fill the blender with ice and you're ready to go.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 5 Mar 2008, 05:08 pm »
John, I found countless versions of "The Official" recipe online. Yours is very similar. The type of booze is always the same, but quantities vary slightly. The biggest differences seem to be regarding the additives. The lime juice, sweet and sour, and simple syrup are the biggest differences. There are folks that claim to be bartenders at Applebee's but they argue amongst each other on what the 'real' recipe actually is. It kinda makes me think that the actual recipe varies from store to store depending on which bartender is making it.

Bryan, I assume when you empty the contents of the frozen concentrate, you NEVER add water per the instructions. It's just being used 100% strength.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #53 on: 5 Mar 2008, 05:12 pm »
Yup.  100% strength.  This is a frozen recipe though so you fill with ice and get a bit of 'water' from that.

If you don't like them so sweet and want a bit more bite, use Triple Sec instead of Contreau.  The cheaper the better on the Triple Sec. 

Bryan

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #54 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:38 pm »
The frozen limeade does make for a very sweet margarita. No right or wrong here.

SwedeSound

« Reply #55 on: 5 Mar 2008, 08:49 pm »
I bought six cans of the frozen concentrate limeade last year when the clerk at our grocery store uttered something about the price of limes going up... Guess I'm a little paranoid, but they do make for a mighty tasty drink. The beer just cuts the mix a bit and adds some texture.... It's not super foamy, if that's what you're wondering. Good luck with the experimenting. The nice thing about the limeade/tequilar/beer/ice blender (tho it is a frozen marg, which wasn't the original intent of this thread) is that it's an easily repeatable crowd pleaser -- no matter how many you might have already had that evening. Or afternoon. Or morning. :)