Tube amps with computer audio

wappinghigh

Tube amps with computer audio
« on: 25 Feb 2008, 08:38 am »
Hi all.

I've recently seen a couple of tube amps with ipod docs. Theory is tubes (with their richer sound) smooth out the "harshness" of mp3 tracks.

Just wondering if anybody uses a tube amp with say the squeezebox, sonos or even a usb dac.

Anybody done a decent review or comparison whether tube amps offer any advantages when playing a digital source...or links to reviews would be appreciated.

AB

pbrstreetgang

Re: Tube amps with computer audio
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:14 am »
Sure, I use a Sonos to a Tube DAC to a tube Pre then a tube amp. I also have a modded Red wine ipod into a tubed electrostatic headphone amp. I really wouldn't use the excuse that tubes "smooth out harsh MP3s" marketing speak. First you shouldnt be listening to MP3s on a high quality system. They sound bad over anything and you need at least some of the higher bitrate lossy files or better yet lossless such as WAV, FLAC, apple lossless. You cant bandaid flawed media. Solis State amps sound good too and my use of tubes is preference and the ability to tailor the sound. I also have a couple high end solid states that I enjoy very much. Like I said you would do yourself a favor by listening to high bitrate ad especially lossless files than throwing money at fancy docks- tube or not.

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:43 am »
Absolutely. My lossless library is fed to a tubed dac, a tube hybrid preamp, and then tubed power amps.

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2008, 12:06 pm »
yep using a hybrid tube Pre which takes the output from my modded to death art di/o... the pre feeds an AKSA 100n+, so I run a blend of tubes and SS... works well for me :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2008, 12:59 pm »
Here also, using a single ended EL84 tube amp fed by my modded SB3 directly.

But, I only use FLAC, so I am not sure about how MP3 smoothing would work, but I would think it makes some sense.

wappinghigh

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2008, 12:13 pm »
Thanks for reply guys..but hey..sorry for naive question ..but I'm not new to computer audio...just valve amps. Maybee I worded the question wrong! I already play lossless right out of a mac mini into a Nortstar DAC and in fact run Linn high def download 24/88.4 tracks. At moment getting the sonos/pacecar mod by Empirical. I simply wanted to know what the difference in sound was say from a high end ss amp vs high end valve amp playing such computer audio...

eg for those with both types of amps...love your comments

I'm currently considering McIntosh  MC2102 vs say a Parasound SS power amp. I'm used to British amps and have no experience with US ones...

AB